Stripping, vomiting and fighting: Shame of Cambridge students after drunken Bank Holiday party in park ruins family picnics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stripping, vomiting and fighting: Shame of Cambridge students after drunken Bank Holiday party in park ruins family picnics

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 am

It is one of the most prestigious universities in Britain, but students at Cambridge University have caused outrage after they went on the rampage to celebrate the bank holiday. Shocked families watched as hundreds of drunken students stripped off and carried around dead animals in bizarre initiation ceremonies, while others vomited and urinated in park flower beds during a riotous summer term party. The annual party, known as Caesarian Sunday historically takes place on Jesus Green in Cambridge.

Public park: The Jesus College inter-year drinking society fight with the Girton Green Giants, on Jesus Green in Cambridge on Sunday afternoon

Annual bash: Police tend to a drunken student during the riotous party

The annual party included a number of bizarre initiation ceremonies

Girls were seen drinking port through condoms; others wore kippers round their necks as they downed pints. In the middle of the afternoon onlookers were shocked to see an organised fight between the Caesarians, Jesus' inter-year drinking society and the Girton Green Giants, which saw blood shed as students chanted and cheered. 'The way the students were behaving in a the park was absolutely disgusting,' said one passer-by. 'It was only midday on Sunday and there were lots of families and young people walking by the river and enjoying the sunshine. The students were running around semi-naked, vomiting and singing rowdy drinking songs. It's not something I'd expect to see in the centre of Cambridge on a Sunday afternoon and I'm furious my kids were exposed to it. Some of the students were totally out of control.'

In stark contrast, students at Oxford University enjoyed far more sedate May Day celebrations. No one attempted to jump off Magdalen Bridge as the river was at its lowest level in years. Instead a handful of students scrambled down the banks to have a swim in the River Cherwell.

Stark contrast: A handful of students braved a dip in the River Cherwell in Oxford

Crowds of students disperse off into the city to enjoy the entertainment after gathering to hear the Magdalen College choir singing at 6am.
'It was a huge success and afterwards we breathed a big sigh of relief that everyone had decided to be sensible,' said Louisa Dean, spokesman for Oxford city council.

In Cambridge, university students take part in Caesarian Sunday every year to mark the start of the summer term. Legend has it that a member of the Girton Green Giants once stole a bottle of Pimms from a member of the Jesus college Caesarians. The bottle was subsequently thrown at the group of Caesarians in a challenge to a fight. Now every year the president of Girton's drinking society downs a bottle of Pimms and invites the Jesus drinking society to fight. This year thousands of students shouted and cheered at around 3pm as more than 20 male students with "war paint" on their faces viciously fought on the Green. One team, wearing make-shift togas, marched behind a dead pig's head on a stake as they headed to battle.

Bad behaviour: A policeman tells students to stop urinating into the bushes on Jesus Green in Cambridge

Caesarian Sunday: Girls were seen drinking port through condoms, while others wore kippers round their necks

Many then continued to drink all afternoon, before jumping in the nearby River Cam in their underwear or staggering to the nearby night clubs.

A lot of the students, both male and female, could barely stand and at one point police officers were seen trying to stop students weeing in a park bush. 'The fighting was pretty vicious this year,' said a Cambridge student, who did not want to be named. 'A lot of the stuff which goes on is really quite shocking, especially as it's in a public place, but most of the students are so drunk they just don't care. Many of them started drinking at breakfast, or even the night before and have just carried on drinking all day. For the drinking societies it is one of the biggest events in their calendar and some graduates even come back specially for the occasion. Many of the students think they work hard so deserve to drink and party and somehow justify it.'

Caesarian Sunday is seen as the birth of the drinking parties for the summer term, which ends with the notorious after-exams party, Suicide Sunday, in June. Two years ago the Suicide Sunday garden party, organised by the Wyverns, an all-male Magdalene College drinking society, had to be held in a new location for the first time in 80 years after officials banned students from holding the event on university land. The controversial decision was made after a 23-year-old student was arrested the previous year during the infamous jelly wrestling contest for punching a spectator.

The Wyverns drinking society has a reputation for its hard partying and excessive drinking. Its initiation ceremony involves eating a 15-course meal with delicacies such as a pig's snout with wasabi sauce and a pint of water with a goldfish swimming inside.

The Caesarians society, has a tradition whereby any initiated member can point at an invited male, or "Legionary" as they call it, keeping with the Roman theme, and he must then down his drink. There is no limit to the number of times this can be done to any one individual, and it has been reported that many don't make it much past the end of the meal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382668/Caesarian-Sunday-Cambridge-students-shock-families-stripping-vomiting-weeing-bushes.html#ixzz1LBfEKhsc

Students, alcohol, sun, drinking societies - bound to be a recipe for disaster. Might want to avoid this area of Cambridge for next year's celebrations! Bet there are a fair few sore heads in Cambridge today, shame affraid

Back to top Go down

Re: Stripping, vomiting and fighting: Shame of Cambridge students after drunken Bank Holiday party in park ruins family picnics

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 am

Nice to see they can afford to engage in such antics and not worry about their tuition fee's! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Re: Stripping, vomiting and fighting: Shame of Cambridge students after drunken Bank Holiday party in park ruins family picnics

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Disgraceful, the government bought my education and I respected and honored that by never disgracing self, country, or college by acting such a way. Is there something in the water there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 1:06 pm

John wrote:Disgraceful, the government bought my education and I respected and honored that by never disgracing self, country, or college by acting such a way. Is there something in the water there?

Another one of those cases where the actions of the minority reflects against the majority John. I agree, these student's behaviour was disgraceful. I was looking over the comments on DM Website and found this posted by a Cambridge Uni Student, they're not all bad :

"There are about 18,000 students in Cambridge. Please do not brand us all by the actions of the foolish few. It is saddening to see that at the report of one drunken afternoon all the commentors have taken the opportunity to bad-mouth us as a whole. The vast majority of Cambridge students spent yesterday afternoon revising for upcoming exams, which they have worked hard all year for, not to mention the hard work at GCSE and A-Level to get in in the first place. These are the same students that feel passionately about enabling those from lower socio-economic status to experience university life and the privilege of the highest quality of teaching in the world and thus have concerns about tuition fees.
- Victoria, Cambridge, 2/5/2011 11:51"

I think most students take their education seriously. Bearing in mind a place at Cambridge is such an honour, you'd hope so wouldn't you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Hmm, well I'm going to take a rather different tone on this Wink

To me it seems just a little more decadence than normally comes from this sort of thing. The only real shame is that kids were exposed to this. Though in truth, what harm seeing a bunch of off-it students behaving like morons will have is probably not too big.

I'm sure the Mail reported the bridge jumping thing with equal disgust in the past... christ does that paper EVER stop moaning about everyone and everything... do Mail readers walk around with permanent snarls on their ever bismirched faces???

Seriously, at the end of the day they are just students having a little fun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 pm

eilzel wrote:Hmm, well I'm going to take a rather different tone on this Wink

To me it seems just a little more decadence than normally comes from this sort of thing. The only real shame is that kids were exposed to this. Though in truth, what harm seeing a bunch of off-it students behaving like morons will have is probably not too big.

I'm sure the Mail reported the bridge jumping thing with equal disgust in the past... christ does that paper EVER stop moaning about everyone and everything... do Mail readers walk around with permanent snarls on their ever bismirched faces???

Seriously, at the end of the day they are just students having a little fun Smile

I agree to a certain extent Eilzel but at a time when students are protesting about fees it's not the greatest publicity Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 pm

While agreeing that this was a small minority of students who have behaved in such an evil manner in front of children, they should face the full force of the law for their crimes. Once convicted and sentenced, they should lose their university place and never be allowed to attend another UNI in the UK. Sadly,there are those on here that think that the thugs behavior in front of families was OK. ----Quote for another poster :- "Seriously, at the end of the day they are just students having a little fun". ------The families did not think their children should witness such behavior and I agree with the families.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 am

fred bloggs wrote:While agreeing that this was a small minority of students who have behaved in such an evil manner in front of children, they should face the full force of the law for their crimes. Once convicted and sentenced, they should lose their university place and never be allowed to attend another UNI in the UK. Sadly,there are those on here that think that the thugs behavior in front of families was OK. ----Quote for another poster :- "Seriously, at the end of the day they are just students having a little fun". ------The families did not think their children should witness such behavior and I agree with the families.

"acted in such an evil manner?"

Evil? Really? Dear god where's your sense of perspective???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 am

Eil;

I come from a family of alcoholics. It is very frightening to a child to observe the personality changes that come about from being very drunk. If they were going to have this annual bash, it should be held in the late afternoon or evening. If Jesus Green is a public park, then everyone has the right to enjoy it in peace, without having to explain to a terrified 5 year old why those people are "acting funny".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 pm

justanAmericangal wrote:Eil;

I come from a family of alcoholics. It is very frightening to a child to observe the personality changes that come about from being very drunk. If they were going to have this annual bash, it should be held in the late afternoon or evening. If Jesus Green is a public park, then everyone has the right to enjoy it in peace, without having to explain to a terrified 5 year old why those people are "acting funny".

I don't disagree Gal. I just think this is a bit of an over reaction (one poster sites it as 'Evil' behaviour scratch ) And it just happens to be coming from the most nit picky newspaper in the country...

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top