British Girls 'Worst Teen Boozers' In West

View previous topic View next topic Go down

British Girls 'Worst Teen Boozers' In West

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:18 pm

British girls are the worst teenage binge drinkers in the western world, a report has revealed.

British girls drink more booze in the UK than their male counterparts

Some 50% of 15-year-olds have been drunk at least twice - almost double the 29% average of other developed countries, figures show. Girls also drink more alcohol in the UK than their male counterparts, with only 44% of 15-year-old boys admitting being intoxicated on two or more occasions. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) figures were published in a new report called 'Through the Looking Glass'. They revealed that between 1998 and 2008, the proportion of girls who binge-drank - defined as consuming more than six drinks per session - increased from 17% to 27%.

The shocking statistics follow a Sky News report in October revealing how underage binge drinking is costing ambulance services in England £19m a year, according to Alcohol Concern. At the time, Brian Hayes, a paramedics team leader from London Ambulance Service, said: "Teenage binge drinking is a massive burden. We need to be concentrating on life threatening calls like heart attacks and road traffic accidents, not being called out because people have just over-indulged."

Half of British 15-year-old girls say they have been drunk

As part of the latest teen alcohol consumption report, which sets out recommendations for a youth policy to empower young women, the think tank Demos conducted its own poll of 500 British females aged 16 to 19. It found that 16% of teenage girls were 'not very happy', while 64% were 'quite happy most of the time' and 17% felt 'very happy'. Money and whether they would find a boyfriend proved to be what they were most anxious about in life. And more than half (55%) said that their mobile phone was the most important item in their bag.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/British-Girls-Are-The-Biggest-Teenage-Binge-Drinkers-In-The-Western-World-A-Report-Has-Revealed/Article/201104415977385?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15977385_British_Girls_Are_The_Biggest_Teenage_Binge_Drinkers_In_The_Western_World%2C_A_Report_Has_Revealed

My friends and I were certainly not angels as teenagers and drank alcohol at times. Despite that, there was never an occasion when medical assistance was required. I guess times have changed Sad

Back to top Go down

Re: British Girls 'Worst Teen Boozers' In West

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 pm

A decade of assisting Brits to negate real repercussions from anti-social drunk behaviour has resulted in this..

Somebody is to blame for this lapse but who..

Any ideas people?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Seren wrote:A decade of assisting Brits to negate real repercussions from anti-social drunk behaviour has resulted in this..

Any ideas people?

Ooh, I wonder!..........................

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:52 am

Seren wrote:A decade of assisting Brits to negate real repercussions from anti-social drunk behaviour has resulted in this..

Any ideas people?

How about the breweries who started selling alcopops aimed specifically at this market? Or the songs and culture that tell them that it is normal and big and clever. How about the parents who let 15 year olds out and night and say 'you can't keep and eye on them all the time at that age'. How about the shops that sell them the booze or the clubs that serve them. How about advertisements for that booze that are flashed in front of them day after day.

Would my 15year olds been allowed out at night. No they would not. They went to friends, but only if their parents were in and I could check they were there. They went to cinemas but had to back afterwards. They went to youth clubs where they could be supervised. They went to clubs that catered to their particular hobbies, but there is no way I would have allowed them to wander the streets and there is no way they would have had the money for booze. Living on a tight budget has its advantages!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Add to the list the brainles pointless and thoroughly destructive "celeb" culture, absolutlely approved of by government to keep the sheeples minds occupied with mind numbing trivia......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 am

victorismyhero wrote:Add to the list the brainles pointless and thoroughly destructive "celeb" culture, absolutlely approved of by government to keep the sheeples minds occupied with mind numbing trivia......

Although I don't like the term 'sheeples' (though you nationalists keep using it! There's no better way to turn people off the idea of voting a certain way that by patronizing them Wink ), and don't think the govt is behind this in some way. It does annoy me to know end how clubbing and trivial tv personalities seem to be more important to most than the way our country is being governed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top