Question for any keen gardners.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question for any keen gardners.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Have been to a really good plant nursery and garden centre today to buy plants to replace those damaged by the severe winter. There would appear to be a trend among the growers to produce blooms which have a good appearance and are resistant to disease. This however has resulted in all the new plants having absolutely no scent. In discussion with a member of the growing staff it was stated that regrettably this trend has been going on for a couple of years. He was disappointed as was I. Is there any other poster like myself likes the scent of flowers in the garden or am I wrong to expect scent from flowers.

Back to top Go down

Re: Question for any keen gardners.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:13 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Have been to a really good plant nursery and garden centre today to buy plants to replace those damaged by the severe winter. There would appear to be a trend among the growers to produce blooms which have a good appearance and are resistant to disease. This however has resulted in all the new plants having absolutely no scent. In discussion with a member of the growing staff it was stated that regrettably this trend has been going on for a couple of years. He was disappointed as was I. Is there any other poster like myself likes the scent of flowers in the garden or am I wrong to expect scent from flowers.

Wish I could help Fred, but cutting the grass and keeping weeds down, is about my limit of gardening! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Wish I could help Fred, but cutting the grass and keeping weeds down, is about my limit of gardening! Sad

Cheers Mr D. There must be some keen gardners on here, or am I unique?.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:15 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Hi Fred Smile x

I love gardening but I have to say I'm not an expert! Hubby and I grow our own fruit and veg. Your best bet is to research some older English varieties. Stardesk might be able to help, he's a keen gardener. Good luck flower x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Went past a garden whilst Leafleting yesterday, which was absolutely immaculate! affraid

Wish I'd taken a picture with my phone now, as it was fantastic! sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:43 am

Feelthelove wrote:

Hi Fred Smile x

I love gardening but I have to say I'm not an expert! Hubby and I grow our own fruit and veg. Your best bet is to research some older English varieties. Stardesk might be able to help, he's a keen gardener. Good luck flower x

Hi Fred Very Happy x

Been thinking about your thread and I suddenly remembered this site. It's very good if you're looking for a specific type of plant for shade or sun or in this case with scent.

I've chosen Shrubs with scented flowers for you, take a look. I hope it helps. Incidentally I have bought plants from this site before and the service and quality was excellent. flower

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/shrubs/plcid.1/vid.230/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 am

Feelthelove wrote:

Hi Fred Very Happy x

Been thinking about your thread and I suddenly remembered this site. It's very good if you're looking for a specific type of plant for shade or sun or in this case with scent.

I've chosen Shrubs with scented flowers for you, take a look. I hope it helps. Incidentally I have bought plants from this site before and the service and quality was excellent. flower

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/shrubs/plcid.1/vid.230/

Hi FTL, my ex husband, a landscaper used to use it sometimes. I agree with Fred that there is little scent in recent flowers. I love lavenders and old roses etc because they always have scent, for me it part of the garden.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 am

Without wishing to offend Fred, shouldn't this be in "Chit Chat"? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am

MrDoodles wrote:Without wishing to offend Fred, shouldn't this be in "Chit Chat"? Question

Perhaps Fred thought that the weather made it news! but you are quite right Mr D, I hadn't 'twigged'! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am

sassy1261 wrote:

Perhaps Fred thought that the weather made it news! but you are quite right Mr D, I hadn't 'twigged'! Laughing

I'll PM him to see if he minds it being moved then! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:59 am

sassy1261 wrote:

He can be so masterful at times Sassy!!! lol!

I'll move it, sorry Fred, hope the advice helps though sunny x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:00 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

I'll PM him to see if he minds it being moved then! Very Happy

Sorry, already moved Embarassed Where are my manners, sorry Fred Sad x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies folks will certainly look at the website given -- Fred.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Thanks for the replies folks will certainly look at the website given -- Fred.

Hope you find it useful Fred, if only for some ideas of fragrant varieties Very Happy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Help required please. Hubby and I spent a day last month redoing our strawberry box. We had a terrible problem with spear grass.

We emptied it, dug down a foot and sieved the dirt to make sure that we got every single piece of root, or so we thought. It took a while believe me, it's a 10ft by 10ft square Sad Replanted with new strawberry plants. Happy FTL I love you

Today I notice it's back but it seems to be growing in the straw which we put around the strawberries? Has anyone else had this issue and if so I would appreciate a miracle cure please x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:38 am

Jasmine is my favourite, its beautiful scent always reminds my of hot summer nights when I was in Spain. I don't see much of them here, but I've got a couple of minature one's on my window sill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Has anyone grown busy lizzie's this year? I must have planted out 120. They started off well but after all the bad weather we've had no flowers or leaves remain. Just the stems Sad

I had several tubs in various locations but even the sheltered pots have been affected. Yet my begonias and petunias are fine confused

It's never happened before, very odd. Anyone else had this problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:17 am

Feelthelove wrote:Has anyone grown busy lizzie's this year? I must have planted out 120. They started off well but after all the bad weather we've had no flowers or leaves remain. Just the stems Sad

I had several tubs in various locations but even the sheltered pots have been affected. Yet my begonias and petunias are fine confused

It's never happened before, very odd. Anyone else had this problem?

Clearly this is my problem.........

Mildew that threatens to wipe out busy lizzies after arriving from imported cuttings

One of Britain’s most popular plants is in danger of being wiped out by a virulent disease. Busy lizzies, a hanging basket favourite, are at risk from a fungicide-resistant strain of mildew. Known as impatiens downy mildew, it was first identified in the UK in 2003 and is thought to have arrived from imported cuttings.

It spreads on airborne spores and appears as a white powder on the underside of leaves, causing them to yellow and fall off. Amateur gardeners across Britain are seeing their infected plants reduced to bare stems.

Until now it has been controlled by metalaxyl fungicide, which is only available to commercial growers. But horticulturalists warn it has thrived in the wet, mild summer, and is now resistant to the fungicide. Now that nurseries are failing to eliminate the disease, it is breaking out in more and more gardens.

Dr Phil Jones, of the Food and Environment Research Agency, said the spores can survive for ten years. He said: ‘Something different happened this year on imported cuttings, so they are metalaxyl resistant. The issue in parks and gardens is that they can produce resting spores which can survive happily over winter even in extreme conditions.’

Andrew Tokely, of Thompson & Morgan, one of Britain’s longest-established plant and seed firms, said: ‘There is no cure. It could be the end of busy lizzies.’

The Royal Horticultural Society is urging gardeners to destroy any plants displaying symptoms. They should dig up infected plants and avoiding replanting busy lizzies in the same ground for at least a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025451/Mildew-threatens-wipe-busy-lizzies-arriving-imported-cuttings.html#ixzz1UtIP6ClL

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Clearly this is my problem.........

Mildew that threatens to wipe out busy lizzies after arriving from imported cuttings

One of Britain’s most popular plants is in danger of being wiped out by a virulent disease. Busy lizzies, a hanging basket favourite, are at risk from a fungicide-resistant strain of mildew. Known as impatiens downy mildew, it was first identified in the UK in 2003 and is thought to have arrived from imported cuttings.

It spreads on airborne spores and appears as a white powder on the underside of leaves, causing them to yellow and fall off. Amateur gardeners across Britain are seeing their infected plants reduced to bare stems.

Until now it has been controlled by metalaxyl fungicide, which is only available to commercial growers. But horticulturalists warn it has thrived in the wet, mild summer, and is now resistant to the fungicide. Now that nurseries are failing to eliminate the disease, it is breaking out in more and more gardens.

Dr Phil Jones, of the Food and Environment Research Agency, said the spores can survive for ten years. He said: ‘Something different happened this year on imported cuttings, so they are metalaxyl resistant. The issue in parks and gardens is that they can produce resting spores which can survive happily over winter even in extreme conditions.’

Andrew Tokely, of Thompson & Morgan, one of Britain’s longest-established plant and seed firms, said: ‘There is no cure. It could be the end of busy lizzies.’

The Royal Horticultural Society is urging gardeners to destroy any plants displaying symptoms. They should dig up infected plants and avoiding replanting busy lizzies in the same ground for at least a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025451/Mildew-threatens-wipe-busy-lizzies-arriving-imported-cuttings.html#ixzz1UtIP6ClL

typical...Its always bloody foreigners causing trouble flower
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 am

victorismyhero wrote:

typical...Its always bloody foreigners causing trouble flower

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top