Gay Couple ejected from Soho pub for kissing...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gay Couple ejected from Soho pub for kissing...

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:05 pm

At what point does public intimacy tip over from a touching display of innocent romance into offensive vulgarity? Jonathan Williams and James Bull found themselves triggering a public debate on the subject when they were thrown out of a London pub for kissing.

Williams, a journalist for a financial magazine, and Bull, a charity volunteer, said they had been ejected from the John Snow in Broadwick Street, Soho, central London, on Wednesday by a woman – claiming to be the landlady – who accused them of being "obscene" while out on their first date.

The two men deny having behaved in any unseemly way. "We weren't being over the top; there wasn't anything that would be deemed unseemly," Williams said. "I'm not the kind of person to do that kind of thing in public."

Lucy Clements, a 27-year-old production manager, and Jamie Morton, neither of whom know Bull or Williams, were sitting at the next table and witnessed the events. Clements said: "I was totally shocked. Dumbfounded really. From a pub in the middle of Soho you just don't expect it."

She added that "no one seemed to mind apart from this one man". She said she spoke to bar staff who confirmed the man who raised the first objections was the landlord, before both she and Morton were also asked to leave.

Full Story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/14/gay-claim-ejected-pub-kissing

Unbelievable! Some people are so backward minded Evil or Very Mad

(Sorry for not posting must btw peeps, had some assignment work to be doing but out the way now for a bit thank god Smile )

Back to top Go down

Re: Gay Couple ejected from Soho pub for kissing...

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:08 pm

eilzel wrote:

Unbelievable! Some people are so backward minded Evil or Very Mad

(Sorry for not posting must btw peeps, had some assignment work to be doing but out the way now for a bit thank god Smile )

Hi Eilsel, they would probably have been ok if they had punched each other, that would have been more 'manly'!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 pm

It does seem strange than in Soho this would happen. Always had Soho down as a sort of liberal, free for all, anything goes type of place.

Maybe it was a little more than a simple kiss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:15 pm

But you just have to think about the 90% of the population, who don't want to see this on a night out! Twisted Evil

It's back to the "What you do in your own bedroom, is up to you" but a lot of people, (myself included) don't want to see this on a night out, so deal with it and stop ramming "Gayness" down people's throats! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 pm

MrDoodles wrote:But you just have to think about the 90% of the population, who don't want to see this on a night out! Twisted Evil

It's back to the "What you do in your own bedroom, is up to you" but a lot of people, (myself included) don't want to see this on a night out, so deal with it and stop ramming "Gayness" down people's throats! Twisted Evil

On a night out these days in Britain you'd expect to see a lot worse really.

As long as this wasn't two men almost "doing it" in a pub I've got no issues with two guys kissing, or two women for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Seren wrote:

I've got no issues with two guys kissing, or two women for that matter.

Now your talking! Twisted Evil

Two girls, (as long as they're pretty) can snog each other's face's off in my local! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:32 pm

MrDoodles wrote:But you just have to think about the 90% of the population, who don't want to see this on a night out! Twisted Evil

^Seren, read the article, all it was was a kiss, if you think there is something wrong in that you're way over sensitive...

MrD, that comment is disgusting! I suppose tolerance isn't to be expected of a BNP voter. But just don't look if you don't like it. There were people in the pub who were appalled at the treatment of these two and another couple (not gay) were told to leave for mentioning it!

Should gay people not be allowed to kiss in public in your opinion MrD? Should our affection not be allowed to be seen the way others are?

It isn't ramming it down your throat! I kiss my BF in any pub, including Wetherspoons which is often packed. Why shouldn't I if others do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm

eilzel wrote:

^Seren, read the article, all it was was a kiss, if you think there is something wrong in that you're way over sensitive...

MrD, that comment is disgusting! I suppose tolerance isn't to be expected of a BNP voter. But just don't look if you don't like it. There were people in the pub who were appalled at the treatment of these two and another couple (not gay) were told to leave for mentioning it!

Should gay people not be allowed to kiss in public in your opinion MrD? Should our affection not be allowed to be seen the way others are?

It isn't ramming it down your throat! I kiss my BF in any pub, including Wetherspoons which is often packed. Why shouldn't I if others do?

Keep your hair on, just speculated that it might have been a little more as its UNUSUAL for Soho to be so prudish.

Like I said I'm NOT bothered if two men or two women wish to kiss in public. I've no interest in who other people kiss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Seren wrote:

Keep your hair on, just speculated that it might have been a little more as its UNUSUAL for Soho to be so prudish.

Like I said I'm NOT bothered if two men or two women wish to kiss in public. I've no interest in who other people kiss.

Sorry Seren Embarassed

It is unusual. Although this isn't a gay bar and dosen't advertize itself as gay friendly (nowhere should need to thesedays surely?) that isn't the point Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm

eilzel wrote:

Seeing anyone kiss makes me smile, I would much rather people were loving each other. You carry on Eilsel. I know of youngsters who feel the same as Mr D does about gays kissing, only they hate older people kissing. Well tough, everyone has the right to be affectionate with the people they love. I know Mr D loves his missus and I'm sure he would kiss her in public, why should that rule not apply to everyone else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Seeing anyone kiss makes me smile, I would much rather people were loving each other. You carry on Eilsel. I know of youngsters who feel the same as Mr D does about gays kissing, only they hate older people kissing. Well tough, everyone has the right to be affectionate with the people they love. I know Mr D loves his missus and I'm sure he would kiss her in public, why should that rule not apply to everyone else.

Well said Sassy cheers

I must admit, older people kissing is not something I want to see; but I'd just turn away (none of my business anyway); I wouldn't dream of going over and saying 'scuse me, this offends my sensitive eyes' or anything to that tune...

Love is great, but it seems some people would wish to suppress such emotions for the sake of their own foul prejudices...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:52 pm

eilzel wrote:

Well said Sassy cheers

I must admit, older people kissing is not something I want to see; but I'd just turn away (none of my business anyway); I wouldn't dream of going over and saying 'scuse me, this offends my sensitive eyes' or anything to that tune...

Love is great, but it seems some people would wish to suppress such emotions for the sake of their own foul prejudices...

Oh bless Eilsel, you would have a lot of turning away to do if you were with me and my OH on a night out! I've always been very tactile and it doesn't change with age. I'm a terrible tease as well and that doesn't change either!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:54 pm

eilzel wrote:

Sorry Seren Embarassed

It is unusual. Although this isn't a gay bar and dosen't advertize itself as gay friendly (nowhere should need to thesedays surely?) that isn't the point Evil or Very Mad

Well I doubt whether it would be a problem up the road in Chester, we are very cosmopolitan there although we can't compete with Soho

or maybe we can

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:24 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

lol! I had to chuckle at this Sassy! Why do the young get embarrassed at older people kissing or having sex??! Wait until they get older, bet they won't have/hold the same opinions sunny

I'm much sexier now I'm older than I ever was in my 20's!

Eilzel - don't you dare stop kissing in public. I've kissed my hubby in pubs all my life, why shouldn't you? xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

lol! I had to chuckle at this Sassy! Why do the young get embarrassed at older people kissing or having sex??! Wait until they get older, bet they won't have/hold the same opinions sunny

Eilzel - don't you dare stop kissing in public. I've kissed my hubby in pubs all my life, why shouldn't you? xxx

Haha! I don't intend to FtL Very Happy

Glad to hear most of you don't mind shows of affection here though- on ADO they seem a lot more sensitive (stuck up) on the issue; with the exception of Eds that is Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:30 pm

eilzel wrote:

Haha! I don't intend to FtL Very Happy

Glad to hear most of you don't mind shows of affection here though- on ADO they seem a lot more sensitive (stuck up) on the issue; with the exception of Eds that is Smile

cheers I'm quite sure I've made quite a few prudish people blush kissing my hubby in public in the past. What the heck, life's for living. Kissing is great and very SEXY lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Its weird isn't it, youngsters getting offended by wrinkly passion.

I find myself getting more annoyed at watching people eating their snacks as they walk along the street and just dropping the wrappers on the ground as they do so. haven't they heard of litter bins!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 am

So pubs are to be run as a democracy by majority rule are they? I can't wait to see you get booted out of your local "Irish pub" on your arse the next time you tell an Irish joke Razz Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 am

John wrote:

So pubs are to be run as a democracy by majority rule are they? I can't wait to see you get booted out of your local "Irish pub" on your arse the next time you tell an Irish joke Razz Twisted Evil

As far as I can see from the original article, there is however, no mention of the Pub in question being a "Gay" pub, because if it was, then I'm sure this wouldn't have even come up! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 am

MrDoodles wrote:

As far as I can see from the original article, there is however, no mention of the Pub in question being a "Gay" pub, because if it was, then I'm sure this wouldn't have even come up! Evil or Very Mad

Thats the point Mr D, they were just a couple like any other. It doesn't matter if it was a 'gay' pub or not. My other half and I don't go to pubs for oldies (not that I consider myself old, he might be a bit wrinkly but I'm not!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:07 am

Come on guys, There is total equality nowadays, and everybody has the same legal rights. There is no law to say that two men or two women cannot kiss. I'm sure if two young, tall, slim, long haired, blond, nubil, "20 something girls" decided to have a snog in our pub, absolutely no one would object. In fact I'm sure they would get a lot of encouragement. We are living in the 21st century now, it's not the 1960's. Those days are long gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Come on guys, There is total equality nowadays, and everybody has the same legal rights. There is no law to say that two men or two women cannot kiss. I'm sure if two young, tall, slim, long haired, blond, nubil, "20 something girls" decided to have a snog in our pub, absolutely no one would object. In fact I'm sure they would get a lot of encouragement. We are living in the 21st century now, it's not the 1960's. Those days are long gone.

Well said Fred Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

That is NOT the point MrD. Anyone should be able to kiss in any pub unless the pub in question makes it clear they do not tolerate kissing at all, this one did not- and by some accounts had no problem with other couples kissing.

Your figure of 90% is wrong too. Since most people have no problem with gay people kissing. They might not like it, but they don't see it as anything to with them. I'd say the actual number who WOULD have a problem with two men specifically kissing is below 10%, though that is a totally random number- I don't know ANYONE who thinks gay men kissing in public SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

You are living in the dark ages on this one mate, and certainly in a minority Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Sorry, but when I go out to a pub, the last thing I want to see, is ANYONE snogging someone else's face off! Evil or Very Mad

Whether it be a straight or a Gay couple, I've gone for a drink and sorry, I'm no prude (far from it) but don't want to watch that on a night out! Evil or Very Mad

I do occasionally kiss Mrs D when we go out, but it's a quick peck on the lips, not a full on snog, as out of common decency and respect to other drinkers in the pub. Twisted Evil

But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that, as people don't have respect for other people any more, they've got "Yuman Rights" instead, but I know which I prefer! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:49 pm

MrDoodles wrote:Sorry, but when I go out to a pub, the last thing I want to see, is ANYONE snogging someone else's face off! Evil or Very Mad

Whether it be a straight or a Gay couple, I've gone for a drink and sorry, I'm no prude (far from it) but don't want to watch that on a night out! Evil or Very Mad

I do occasionally kiss Mrs D when we go out, but it's a quick peck on the lips, not a full on snog, as out of common decency and respect to other drinkers in the pub. Twisted Evil

But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that, as people don't have respect for other people any more, they've got "Yuman Rights" instead, but I know which I prefer! Twisted Evil

Haha! If you're against anyone kissing in a pub MrD then that's fair enough. I guess you oldies are a little more conservative than the rest of us thesedays Wink

Still, Sassy seems all for it, and FtL, Seren and a few on ADO Very Happy

Nothing wrong with public affection imo mate Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top