How mass migration has divided our society: David Cameron savages Labour's open-door policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How mass migration has divided our society: David Cameron savages Labour's open-door policy

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 am

Britain has been torn apart by the biggest influx of immigrants in history, David Cameron will admit today.

The Prime Minister will blame a welfare system which has paid Britons to stay idle and foreign jobseekers ‘not really wanting or even willing to integrate’ for turning neighbourhoods into ghettos.

Immigration has been ‘too high’ for many years and has created ‘discomfort and disjointedness’ across the country, he will say.

In his first major speech on the issue since becoming Prime Minister, Mr Cameron will make the explosive claim that Labour is to blame for allowing extremist parties such as the BNP to flourish by dismissing legitimate concerns about mass immigration as ‘racist’.

And he will insist that measures being implemented by the Coalition will cut immigration by up to 75 per cent from its peak. He will say annual net immigration levels will fall from around 200,000 in recent years to the ‘tens of thousands’ seen under the Thatcher and Major governments.

Mr Cameron will spell out a series of steps the Government is taking to bring down numbers of immigrants, including:

■ A limit on the number of skilled workers coming from outside Europe of 27,000 this year;

■ A minimum age of 21 for spouses coming to the UK;

■ A crackdown on student visas to cut the number issued by 80,000 a year;

■ Limits on ‘health tourism’ and illegal workers claiming benefits;

■ Welfare reforms to end the option of a life on the dole for British workers.

His remarks will be the strongest on immigration by a Prime Minister for more than 20 years and could trigger a political furore.

Critics are likely to question the timing of the speech, just a few weeks before local elections in which the Tories are anxious to shore up their core vote.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376651/David-Cameron-Mass-migration-divided-society.html#ixzz1JU4q1Z1C

Back to top Go down

Re: How mass migration has divided our society: David Cameron savages Labour's open-door policy

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 am

Anyone would think that there's an Election in 3 weeks time! Twisted Evil

Oh, wait a moment.................. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Re: How mass migration has divided our society: David Cameron savages Labour's open-door policy

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:42 am

I've just put a post in The Other Place about this.

Cameron's stance is full of the usual neoliberal hypocrisy. The Conservatives for the past thirty years have banged on relentlessly about the glories of the free market and it's principles should be extended into every single area of our life [social as well as economic], yet when it comes to immigration, they for some reason cannot accept it.

The nature of a true, free market, is the unhindered movement of labour. What is a natural characteristic of this? The migration from and immigration to different countries. That, is a truly free capitalist market. The immigation issue is a direct result of neoliberal Conservative policies over the past thirty years and it is 100% certain, that if there had been a Conservative government in place between 1997 and 2010, there would not be one less immigrant in the UK, and arguably more.

Last edited by Skemster on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:46 am

MrDoodles wrote:Anyone would think that there's an Election in 3 weeks time! Twisted Evil

Oh, wait a moment.................. Rolling Eyes

Funny that Mr D isn't it lol Although I suspect this may be another government 'leak' that's going to misfire. This government really is turning into a shambles even quicker than I had expected and it's going to be in a huge mess by the summer now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:48 am

Skemster wrote:

it is 100% certain, that if there had been a Conservative government in place between 1997 and 2010, there would not be one less immigrant in the UK, and arguably more.

I do normally agree with most of what you post my little LW friend, however, do you SERIOUSLY think the Tories would have opened the floodgates on Immigration to "Teach the Left a lesson"? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:31 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

I do normally agree with most of what you post my little LW friend, however, do you SERIOUSLY think the Tories would have opened the floodgates on Immigration to "Teach the Left a lesson"? Question

Hi Mr D
no I don't think the Tories would have opened the floodgates 'to teach the Left a lesson' at all. They would have done it...as New Labour did....for purely economic reasons. Immigation fits perfectly in the neoliberal ideology that the Conservative Party has been wedded to since 1979. They are obsessed with open, free markets, and the movement of labour- resulting in the migration of people from some countries and the immigration of them into others- is a natural, and indeed desirable, aspect of that from a free market capitalist viewpoint.

That's why I think the Tories, obsessed with their idea of globalisation as A Good Thing, may well have presided over even higher levels of immigration than New Labour did. It is an irony that the government are of course desparate to avoid the public becoming aware of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Skemster wrote:

Funny that Mr D isn't it lol Although I suspect this may be another government 'leak' that's going to misfire. This government really is turning into a shambles even quicker than I had expected and it's going to be in a huge mess by the summer now.

Agreed - they have no soul this government, they have no idea what they are about and are a mass of contradictions.

Basically they are in no better shape than they were back in 1997 - they cannot be all things to all people after all?

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top