Murder Victim's Mother Speaks Of Tragedy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murder Victim's Mother Speaks Of Tragedy

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 pm

The mother of murdered Becky Godden-Edwards has spoken publicly for the first time of her grief at the loss of her daughter.

Karen Edwards, 50, also revealed her battle to rescue her daughter from a drug addiction. Becky's parents were told last week, on what would have been her 29th birthday, that remains found on a field at Baxter's Farm in Eastleach were hers. She had been missing for eight years. Mrs Edwards fought to hold back tears as she told a police press conference of the devastation of hearing her daughter had been murdered.

"Becky has now been found and the news of her horrific death has devastated all her family. After everything she has been through in her troubled life. She didn't deserve that. Life was hard before when she was living the life of an addict but we really did think she was alive and that one day she would come back home." Mrs Edwards described how her daughter had fallen in with the wrong crowd when she was a teenager and had started taking drugs.

Becky Godden-Edwards, aged 15, as a bridesmaid at her mother's wedding in 1997

"Becky was a very beautiful, intelligent girl. She was my daughter. Becky gave me so much love and joy as a child. However, as a teenager she got involved with people who introduced her to drugs. She left school and her life spiralled - spiralled into some very dark places to feed her addiction. She became a very, very different person."

Comforted by husband Charlie Edwards - Miss Godden-Edwards' stepfather - and her sister, Tracy Mullane, Mrs Edwards said Becky had told her she could not keep putting her through hell and would not return until she was clean.

"I never saw her again. Over the years I have tried to find her through the police, the hospital and other organisations that trace missing persons but to no avail. I continued to buy her birthday cards, Christmas presents and cards, so that when she did come back home she knew I had been thinking of her every year since she left, hoping for one day that I would be able to give them to her."

Becky's remains were recovered by detectives investigating the murder of 22-year-old Sian O'Callaghan in Swindon. The man charged with her murder - 47-year-old minicab driver Christopher Halliwell - is expected to be interviewed by detectives in the coming weeks over Becky's death. Miss O'Callaghan was last seen leaving a Swindon nightclub in the early hours of Saturday March 19. Her body was found five days later, dumped by the side of the road near Uffington in the famous Vale of the White Horse in Oxfordshire. Police then began forensic excavation of a field in Gloucestershire, where they found Miss Godden-Edwards' remains on March 26.

Tributes left at the scene where Becky's body was found

The two young women's bodies were 17 miles apart. A positive hit on the national DNA database proved the remains were Becky's with a possibiliy of error of one in a billion. A post mortem examination has been carried out but the circumstances of her death are still unclear.
Wiltshire Police are appealing for anyone with information about Becky's background, movements and possible sightings from 2002 onwards to contact them.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-The-Mother-Of-Murdered-Becky-Godden-Edwards-Speaks-Publicly-About-Daughters-Horrific-Death/Article/201104215970309?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15970309_Video%3A_The_Mother_Of_Murdered_Becky_Godden-Edwards_Speaks_Publicly_About_Daughters_Horrific_Death

Heartbreaking Sad I can only imagine how much pain this family have gone through over the years x

Back to top Go down

Re: Murder Victim's Mother Speaks Of Tragedy

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Feelthelove wrote:The mother of murdered Becky Godden-Edwards has spoken publicly for the first time of her grief at the loss of her daughter.

Karen Edwards, 50, also revealed her battle to rescue her daughter from a drug addiction. Becky's parents were told last week, on what would have been her 29th birthday, that remains found on a field at Baxter's Farm in Eastleach were hers. She had been missing for eight years. Mrs Edwards fought to hold back tears as she told a police press conference of the devastation of hearing her daughter had been murdered.

"Becky has now been found and the news of her horrific death has devastated all her family. After everything she has been through in her troubled life. She didn't deserve that. Life was hard before when she was living the life of an addict but we really did think she was alive and that one day she would come back home." Mrs Edwards described how her daughter had fallen in with the wrong crowd when she was a teenager and had started taking drugs.

Becky Godden-Edwards, aged 15, as a bridesmaid at her mother's wedding in 1997

"Becky was a very beautiful, intelligent girl. She was my daughter. Becky gave me so much love and joy as a child. However, as a teenager she got involved with people who introduced her to drugs. She left school and her life spiralled - spiralled into some very dark places to feed her addiction. She became a very, very different person."

Comforted by husband Charlie Edwards - Miss Godden-Edwards' stepfather - and her sister, Tracy Mullane, Mrs Edwards said Becky had told her she could not keep putting her through hell and would not return until she was clean.

"I never saw her again. Over the years I have tried to find her through the police, the hospital and other organisations that trace missing persons but to no avail. I continued to buy her birthday cards, Christmas presents and cards, so that when she did come back home she knew I had been thinking of her every year since she left, hoping for one day that I would be able to give them to her."

Becky's remains were recovered by detectives investigating the murder of 22-year-old Sian O'Callaghan in Swindon. The man charged with her murder - 47-year-old minicab driver Christopher Halliwell - is expected to be interviewed by detectives in the coming weeks over Becky's death. Miss O'Callaghan was last seen leaving a Swindon nightclub in the early hours of Saturday March 19. Her body was found five days later, dumped by the side of the road near Uffington in the famous Vale of the White Horse in Oxfordshire. Police then began forensic excavation of a field in Gloucestershire, where they found Miss Godden-Edwards' remains on March 26.

Tributes left at the scene where Becky's body was found

The two young women's bodies were 17 miles apart. A positive hit on the national DNA database proved the remains were Becky's with a possibiliy of error of one in a billion. A post mortem examination has been carried out but the circumstances of her death are still unclear.
Wiltshire Police are appealing for anyone with information about Becky's background, movements and possible sightings from 2002 onwards to contact them.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-The-Mother-Of-Murdered-Becky-Godden-Edwards-Speaks-Publicly-About-Daughters-Horrific-Death/Article/201104215970309?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15970309_Video%3A_The_Mother_Of_Murdered_Becky_Godden-Edwards_Speaks_Publicly_About_Daughters_Horrific_Death

Heartbreaking Sad I can only imagine how much pain this family have gone through over the years x

Poor things, now they have no hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 am

Drug dealers should be locked up and the key thrown away.

They ruin lives and are a blight on society.

Every child should receive extensive anti-drug schooling at school. It's a prerogative really

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 am

Seren wrote:Drug dealers should be locked up and the key thrown away.

They ruin lives and are a blight on society.

Every child should receive extensive anti-drug schooling at school. It's a prerogative really

Absolutely, I think they should be taken and shown how people live whose lives have been ruined by drugs. Words don't sink in half as much as reality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Absolutely, I think they should be taken and shown how people live whose lives have been ruined by drugs. Words don't sink in half as much as reality.

I agree. Drugs don't just hurt the person taking them, they take over the lives of their family and friends too No

So many lives ruined Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I agree. Drugs don't just hurt the person taking them, they take over the lives of their family and friends too No

So many lives ruined Evil or Very Mad

whilst generally against the DP.....where someone is caught peddaling drugs......they should be shot...there and then on the spot...no trial...no waste of taxpayers money...no excuses....no "I've had such a terrible past life."....just BANG....done with it....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

whilst generally against the DP.....where someone is caught peddaling drugs......they should be shot...there and then on the spot...no trial...no waste of taxpayers money...no excuses....no "I've had such a terrible past life."....just BANG....done with it....

Blimey Victor! That shocked me affraid x

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Blimey Victor! That shocked me affraid x

Why, whilst i consider myself a reasonably just and humane person, human dross such as drug pushers, do not have my sympathy....... Evil or Very Mad
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:23 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Why, whilst i consider myself a reasonably just and humane person, human dross such as drug pushers, do not have my sympathy....... Evil or Very Mad

Totally agree Victor, so many lives destroyed No x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 am

victorismyhero wrote:

I'd prefer Public Hangings for them, as there would be very few witnesses, if they were "put down" like the vermin that they are. Twisted Evil

Let's have them swinging "Live on Sky News in HD" and see how many want to follow!......................... Wink

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top