Sailor Killed In Nuclear Submarine Shooting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sailor Killed In Nuclear Submarine Shooting

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

A Royal Navy serviceman has been killed and another seriously injured in a shooting aboard a nuclear submarine docked in Southampton.

The incident happened while the city's mayor, the leader of the council and the chief executive were being shown around the vessel, HMS Astute. It is understood one of them helped overpower the gunman. None was hurt. A third Royal Navy serviceman has been arrested. Sky sources say an SA80 assault rifle was used in the attack. A Hampshire police spokesman said the shooting was not terror-related and there was no risk to the public. Sky News has been told it happened in the control room. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has promised a full investigation.

The police and the MoD have refused to comment on reports the person who died was a Royal Navy officer. Hampshire Police said in a statement: "In both cases next of kin have not been Notified, but officers are in the process of informing the families. "No further details about the injured people will be released until this has been done." Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox said: "I am greatly saddened to hear of this incident and of the death of a Royal Navy service person in this tragic incident. My thoughts and sympathies are with those who have been affected and their families."

A former submarine engineer told Sky News handguns would be kept on board under lock and key. HMS Astute, the Navy's newest and most advanced submarine, was berthed at Southampton's Eastern Docks on a five-day official visit to the city. It had arrived on Wednesday after six and a half weeks at sea. Hampshire police were informed of the shooting by the MoD shortly after midday. Armed police, firefighters, paramedics and an air ambulance helicopter were sent to the dockside where the submarine was tied up.

HMS Astute previously made headlines when it ran aground on a shingle bank between the Scottish mainland and the Isle of Skye and remained marooned for several hours. The incident in October last year cost Commander Andy Coles his captaincy of the ship, which is almost 328ft (100m) long and weighs 7,800-tonnes. HMS Astute was named and launched by the Duchess of Cornwall in June 2007 before being welcomed into the Royal Navy in August last year. Its Spearfish torpedoes and Tomahawk cruise missiles are capable of delivering Pinpoint strikes from 2,000km (1,240 miles) with conventional weapons. The submarine's nuclear reactor means it does not need refuelling and it makes its own air and water, enabling it to circumnavigate the globe without needing to surface.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Nuclear-Sub-Shooting-One-Sailor-Killed-Another-Seriously-Hurt-On-HMS-Astute-In-Southampton/Article/201104215968855?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15968855_Video%2C_Nuclear_Sub_Shooting%3A_One_Sailor_Killed%2C_Another_Seriously_Hurt_On_HMS_Astute_In_Southampton

How sad Sad My heart goes out to the family concerned x

Back to top Go down

Re: Sailor Killed In Nuclear Submarine Shooting

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 am

Would love to know the full circumstances to this! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 am

I can only imagine how stressful it is living in such close confinement on a submarine. Then they had to go through this civil ceremony. I think the man just snapped. I have to applaud the leader of the Council who tackled him even though he was still firing the rifle. I was a bit amazed at this, but it turns out the Council man was an ex-army engineer. Very brave anyway.

I must just also mention (although I shouldn't but it really pissed me off) that this story was on ADO, in chit-chat, and the only comment was a falling down laughing smiley!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 am

sprite wrote:I can only imagine how stressful it is living in such close confinement on a submarine. Then they had to go through this civil ceremony. I think the man just snapped. I have to applaud the leader of the Council who tackled him even though he was still firing the rifle. I was a bit amazed at this, but it turns out the Council man was an ex-army engineer. Very brave anyway.

I must just also mention (although I shouldn't but it really pissed me off) that this story was on ADO, in chit-chat, and the only comment was a falling down laughing smiley!

Hi sprite, tbf the post was by England- who makes jokes about every news story that comes to light. He can be v funny, when he isn't I prefer to ignore him Neutral

The story is tragic. But I agree with MrD we need more details. Something dosen't sit right with me- the statement, "It is not a terrorist incident," makes me wonder what and who this man is and why he has done this.

The Guardians report suggests a rethink on using Nuclear Submarines. But I'm not sure that this incident should lead to any such rethink. This is hardly commonplace at all, in fact I don't remember anything like this happening before (could be wrong). We should wait to hear more about the killer before making any judgment on the killer and his motives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:25 am

eilzel wrote:

Hi sprite, tbf the post was by England- who makes jokes about every news story that comes to light. He can be v funny, when he isn't I prefer to ignore him Neutral

The story is tragic. But I agree with MrD we need more details. Something dosen't sit right with me- the statement, "It is not a terrorist incident," makes me wonder what and who this man is and why he has done this.

The Guardians report suggests a rethink on using Nuclear Submarines. But I'm not sure that this incident should lead to any such rethink. This is hardly commonplace at all, in fact I don't remember anything like this happening before (could be wrong). We should wait to hear more about the killer before making any judgment on the killer and his motives.

It certainly seems extremely peculiar! I will certainly be keeping an eye out for any reports for what exactly happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:04 pm

eilzel wrote:

The Guardians report suggests a rethink on using Nuclear Submarines.

Yeah, because what if they'd been an earthquake followed by a Tsunami! Wink Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Yeah, because what if they'd been an earthquake followed by a Tsunami! Wink Rolling Eyes

lol!

In this case MrD I agree there are no grounds for such fears Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:42 pm

eilzel wrote:

lol!

In this case MrD I agree there are no grounds for such fears Smile

They really should check the sub for bullet holes though before it goes back to sea! affraid

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top