Islamist Group Is Rising Force in a New Egypt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Islamist Group Is Rising Force in a New Egypt

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 am

In post-revolutionary Egypt, where hope and confusion collide in the daily struggle to build a new nation, religion has emerged as a powerful political force, following an uprising that was based on secular ideals. The Muslim Brotherhood, an Islamist group once banned by the state, is at the forefront, transformed into a tacit partner with the military government that many fear will thwart fundamental changes.

It is also clear that the young, educated secular activists who initially propelled the nonideological revolution are no longer the driving political force — at least not at the moment. As the best organized and most extensive opposition movement in Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood was expected to have an edge in the contest for influence. But what surprises many is its link to a military that vilified it.

“There is evidence the Brotherhood struck some kind of a deal with the military early on,” said Elijah Zarwan, a senior analyst with the International Crisis Group. “It makes sense if you are the military — you want stability and people off the street. The Brotherhood is one address where you can go to get 100,000 people off the street.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/world/middleeast/25egypt.html?ref=global-home

This was always going to happen. I hear there's to be a new law banning protests and strikes now. Let's face it, freedom will never exist for these poor people, they're just exchanging one master for another!

Back to top Go down

Re: Islamist Group Is Rising Force in a New Egypt

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 am

Of course they are. All this unrest and fighting in north africa and the middle east is orchestrated my militant Islamists. It's part of their plan to dominate the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 am

fred bloggs wrote:Of course they are. All this unrest and fighting in north africa and the middle east is orchestrated my militant Islamists. It's part of their plan to dominate the world.

Sorry Fred, I had to laugh at this Laughing

I often wonder if RW paranoia is really so sincere scratch

^^^Sprite, you may be proved right. I'll hold judgment though. Certainly the idea of 'Muslims wanting to dominate the world' would be easier done if they played a longer game. If Islamists over take Egypt watch western support for all these protests plummet- it isn't in their interests to come across as a new Iran.

Egypt will go democratic. If the Brotherhood becomes part of the coalition then it will do so on those grounds. I would be VERY surprised if Egypt simply got rid of one autocracy in exchange for another.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 am

Oh goody, Islamists with power over access to the Suez canal...

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top