Statistics of Gods & Goddesses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm

As promised a couple of weeks back, here are the statistics for worldwide gods and goddesses. Although I have quite a large, comprehensive file on deities, there probably are quite a few more I’m not aware of. Nonetheless, here are the statistics. As I’ve said before there are more goddesses than gods, no doubt due to the concept of creation and the birth of life being a feminine preserve. Many of the goddesses are named as Creators &/or Earth Mothers. Earth Mothers will mean much the same as creators for they were responsible for life on Earth.

Out of a total of 894 in my files there are:

Goddesses 697 of whom 98 are Creators/Earth Mothers
Gods 197 of whom 7 are Creators.

If we include Jehovah in the creator numbers that still only leaves a paltry 8. Creator Gods.
Well done Ladies!

Back to top Go down

Re: Statistics of Gods & Goddesses

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:24 am

We ladies are better at multitasking and in general more creative, I'm glad to see this was recognised when it came to inventing Gods!!! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 am

when i saw the thread title i was thinking with my D&D brain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:26 pm

John wrote:when i saw the thread title i was thinking with my D&D brain

I hope you weren't too disappointed John lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 am

stardesk wrote:Statistics of Gods & Goddesses

As promised a couple of weeks back, here are the statistics for worldwide gods and goddesses. Although I have quite a large, comprehensive file on deities, there probably are quite a few more I’m not aware of. Nonetheless, here are the statistics. As I’ve said before there are more goddesses than gods, no doubt due to the concept of creation and the birth of life being a feminine preserve. Many of the goddesses are named as Creators &/or Earth Mothers. Earth Mothers will mean much the same as creators for they were responsible for life on Earth.

Out of a total of 894 in my files there are:

Goddesses 697 of whom 98 are Creators/Earth Mothers
Gods 197 of whom 7 are Creators.

If we include Jehovah in the creator numbers that still only leaves a paltry 8. Creator Gods.
Well done Ladies!

Hi stardesk, whilst I agree it would make more sense, as women give birth, that a creation diety would be female or dual sex, I am sure there is more male creation dieties than 7.

For example:

Enki was the deity of water, intelligence and creation sumarian.
Saturn Roman God of creation.
Cronus Greek God of creation
Yahweh Jewish God of creation
Ptah (Pteh, Peteh) was the predynastic Mennefer (Hikuptah, Memphis) god of craftsmen, pottery and creation in Egypt.
Aten Egyptian God of creation
Mithras Persian God of creation
Marduk Babylonian God of creation
Baal: Phoenician god of creation
Enlil, god of creation Sumarian

The list is endless and I have only touched at the tip of the iceberg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

Good morning Phil and everyone. Thanks for responding to this topic, I began to think I'd wasted my time.

Phil, I did say I was going by those listed in my files, there are of course many more Gods and Goddesses that I haven't logged. But generalizing, the feminine principle did seem to be more natural and acceptable to primitive man which is quite understandable really.

If I'm not mistaken Gods were more a preserve of the Middle East and Med' areas, whereas in places like South America and Australia Goddesses were more popular. I think what we have to bear in mind is that events like volcanoes, earthquakes, storms, the Sun, are seen as masculine, whilst the re-generation of life is feminine.

To be flippant I suppose it's a case of take your pick.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top