Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 am

As in the case of the 65 year old widow who moved to Scotland but had to move out due to harrassment by the Scots, including having bricks thrown at her home and 'go home' in red paint etc. No-one cares much because she was English and it seems to be acceptable to do what you like to the English nowadays.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

sprite wrote:As in the case of the 65 year old widow who moved to Scotland but had to move out due to harrassment by the Scots, including having bricks thrown at her home and 'go home' in red paint etc. No-one cares much because she was English and it seems to be acceptable to do what you like to the English nowadays.

Yes, the only Group of people that cannot experience "Racism" against them! Rolling Eyes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 pm

eilzel wrote:

History is never a boring topic Seren, I love it; in fact I'm now going to use it to further my argument Smile

The fact is we introduced ethnic minorities to this country, as we introduced white people to our colonies (like South Africa, which I'll come back to for Doodles in a moment). They are now, likke it or not, woven into our history and that will not change, not ever.

The suggestion was ethnic minorities CANNOT be considered part of an English village. Now I'm sure that many people of ethnic backgrounds would consider themselves English and it is an insult to them and those who consider them as such to imply otherwise.

He also suggested people wouldn't want to see ethnic characters portrayed! That is ignorant, he is almost accusing his audience of being immensley narrow-minded, if not bigots themselves.

^^^MrD; if a South African village were to be portrayed, and a white family being there would be suggested as 'less South African' then yes this would be wrong imho.

You are going to have to elaborate how meeting other races during history has any bearing on this. I'm a touch confused as to what you are saying there. You might want to not use SA as an example being as it was white originally.

I think the ratings speak for themselves here Eilzel. Many many ethinc people watching the show probably do not consider themselves ignorant bigots. In fact many ethnics have been up in arms defending the guy here. "The last bastion of englishness" was the exact term he used. I'm still struggling see how this is an ignorant statement.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Seren wrote:

You are going to have to elaborate how meeting other races during history has any bearing on this. I'm a touch confused as to what you are saying there. You might want to not use SA as an example being as it was white originally.

I think the ratings speak for themselves here Eilzel. Many many ethinc people watching the show probably do not consider themselves ignorant bigots. In fact many ethnics have been up in arms defending the guy here. "The last bastion of englishness" was the exact term he used. I'm still struggling see how this is an ignorant statement.

It is an ignorant statement because it suggests a black man could never consider himself a tre Englishman- of course he bloody well could!

Interesting letter in the Guardian today- apparently the village Midsommer is based on is home to one black African family; an Asian man; and the Iranian wife of the person writing in. Bit of irony for you.

And I never said 'meeting' other races has a bearing on anything. I said, as we introduced ethnic minorities to this country we should accept them as English people. How long do they have to have lived here Seren before they are considered as such? 100 years, 500 years, 1000 years? I would remind you most of us probably have some or completely 'Breton' blood (Scots, Welsh, Cornish) so we aren't really pure English either- but we are white so I'm sure that's ok Rolling Eyes

As for SA. Erm, think you will find a few hundred years back it was black. Then white (when it was established as SA I admit) now mixed. But both are entwined there now with no chance of it being all one way. Our forefathers introduced multiculturalism to this country, and that is in part a result of our Imperialist history. Some of us don't have a problem with this; others need to catch up.

And viewing figures are good I'm sure. Are you honestly saying figures would fall if a black family was introduced Question (Though remember, it is his words, not the white cast I am opposed to).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:54 pm

On the SA issue, I was under the impression that it was empty when colonized by the original Afrikaners...

will get back to you on the other points though

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Seren wrote:On the SA issue, I was under the impression that it was empty when colonized by the original Afrikaners...

will get back to you on the other points though

A country is never 'empty' Seren, other than tiny islands perhaps. This from wiki:

"Modern humans have inhabited Southern Africa for more than 100,000 years. At the time of European contact, the dominant indigenous peoples were Bantu-speaking peoples who had migrated from other parts of Africa about one thousand years before. The two major historic groups were the Xhosa and Zulu peoples."

Nelson Mandela is of the Xhosa group. And the Anglo-Zulu wars are probably one of the stand out points of our domination of South Africa during the Empire.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum