Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 pm

[quote]The producer of Midsomer Murders Brian True-May was suspended after saying that there are no ethnic minority characters in the ITV series because they would deter viewers.

[quote]

I adore Midsummer Murders, but it has never occurred to me - "where are all the ethnic minorities?", I mean if you visit little English villages that's what they look like..

Back to top Go down

Re: Ethnic faces may deter viewers, claims Midsomer Murders producer

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Blimey, expect him to be on a "Diversification Course" before very long! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Firstly, not all little England villages are devoid of ethnic minorties at all.

But to be honest, if this was purely accidental I wouldn't have a problem. And to add an ethnic character or family now would certainly seem a token gesture.

The problem is this guy didn't want them here, and to make out having ethnic groups in a village would make it something less than English is wrong imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 pm

eilzel wrote:Firstly, not all little England villages are devoid of ethnic minorties at all.

But to be honest, if this was purely accidental I wouldn't have a problem. And to add an ethnic character or family now would certainly seem a token gesture.

The problem is this guy didn't want them here, and to make out having ethnic groups in a village would make it something less than English is wrong imo.

And that is your opinion! Twisted Evil

Having lived in a small Lincolnshire for 8 years before I moved to Spalding, I can confirm that they ARE like Midsomer, have no "imports" of any kind and I loved living there! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

And that is your opinion! Twisted Evil

Having lived in a small Lincolnshire for 8 years before I moved to Spalding, I can confirm that they ARE like Midsomer, have no "imports" of any kind and I loved living there! Twisted Evil

It is my opinion MrD. And even if there are, that dosen't really excuse what True-May said. Though I'm sure you will think otherwise Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 pm

eilzel wrote:

It is my opinion MrD. And even if there are, that dosen't really excuse what True-May said. Though I'm sure you will think otherwise Wink

So what's you view on the Black Mikado, where there are no white actors, should that be banned as well? Question

Or is it the normal Multicultural argument, that whilst we can have things like the MOBO awards and a Black Police Association, if we had white equivalents, that would be Racist? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

So what's you view on the Black Mikado, where there are no white actors, should that be banned as well? Question

Or is it the normal Multicultural argument, that whilst we can have things like the MOBO awards and a Black Police Association, if we had white equivalents, that would be Racist? Question

Ah see, give me a chance MrD Wink

We definitley should NOT have a Black police Association.

There should be NO occassion for any production to have no white actors.

The Mobos could probably do with a name change, since the 'Black' part instantly segregates it and makes it come across divisive; and a lot of white people win awards there anyway.

I'm for true equality on these issues Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

eilzel wrote:

Ah see, give me a chance MrD Wink

We definitley should NOT have a Black police Association.

There should be NO occassion for any production to have no white actors.

The Mobos could probably do with a name change, since the 'Black' part instantly segregates it and makes it come across divisive; and a lot of white people win awards there anyway.

I'm for true equality on these issues Very Happy

What about the Black Mikado? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

What about the Black Mikado? Question

If the setting demands only blacks MrD then let's be fair. I'd say the same if we were talking about a film set in Tudor England, that should be only white. But this is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

eilzel wrote:

If the setting demands only blacks MrD then let's be fair. I'd say the same if we were talking about a film set in Tudor England, that should be only white. But this is not.

So do you accept that small villages without any imports in them DO actually exist in this Country or not then? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

I used to watch a comedy called Desmond's an all black cast and I never thought anything of it, same with Midsomer Murders on the rare occasion I watch it it has never entered my head that there is no ethnic minorities in it.

They were even talking about this on breakfast news this morning, fuss about nothing imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

No MrD I'm not denying that. And I don't mind programmes having all white or all black casts if neccessary to the context.

My problem is this:
"We are the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way.”
This suggests in his opinion ethnic minorities cannot exist in a 'true' English society. This borders on racist to be honest. He also suggests his audience wouldn't WANT to see a black face, so is he also saying he thinks his audience is racist Question

Last edited by eilzel on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:48 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one eilzel! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 pm

MrDoodles wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree on this one eilzel! Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes Fine... Agree to disagree Very Happy

He is being a bit racist though Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

eilzel wrote:

Rolling Eyes Fine... Agree to disagree Very Happy

He is being a bit racist though Razz

I don't think it's racist to want a TV program that is steeped in one's own culture, it's perfectly natural for all humans to want that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Seren wrote:

I don't think it's racist to want a TV program that is steeped in one's own culture, it's perfectly natural for all humans to want that.

No you are right on that part.

But to suggest having ethnic minorities would make it less English, and to suggest that the audience wouldn't want to see people of ethnic minorities- don't you find that a little ignorant?

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Seren wrote:

maybe...just maybe...this whole "racist" thing is approached from the wrong end......how about....its ok to have a black police association.....and a white one too
how about a black footballers association...and a white one too?
whats wrong with an all white cast......or an all black one......or a mixed one or all three???

victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

maybe...just maybe...this whole "racist" thing is approached from the wrong end......how about....its ok to have a black police association.....and a white one too
how about a black footballers association...and a white one too?
whats wrong with an all white cast......or an all black one......or a mixed one or all three???

Good evening Victor.

I have addressed my opinion on some of those above. We shouldn't have separate associations imo. But the problem here for me, is not the all white cast (no problem with that), but what True-May actually said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

eilzel wrote:

Good evening Victor.

I have addressed my opinion on some of those above. We shouldn't have separate associations imo. But the problem here for me, is not the all white cast (no problem with that), but what True-May actually said.

So if the same producer was making a drama in an African village, would you think he was being Racist by excluding whites then? Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 am

eilzel wrote:

No you are right on that part.

But to suggest having ethnic minorities would make it less English, and to suggest that the audience wouldn't want to see people of ethnic minorities- don't you find that a little ignorant?

Ignorant, really, I don't see how suggesting that The English are indeed Anglo-Saxons is somehow ignorant or racist.

We do have a lot of other races who have made the UK their home but to suggest that it's somehow racist or ignorant to acknowledge that the host race is Anglo-Saxon is quite ludicrous.

I appreciate that history is a boring topic to many but historically the English nation was colonized by the Anglo-Saxons after the collapse of the Roman Empire and are the nation's founders. To suggest actually saying this out loud is ignorant is quite frankly ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 am

The next problem, if they decided to cast black actors in Midsomer, would be which characters they portrayed. The PC stazi would jump on the producers if the black character committed a murder, or was employed as a gardener or something too humble maybe! He or she would have to be the new local vicar or someone saintly. Unless they're thinking of building a Midsomer mosque?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Seren wrote:

Ignorant, really, I don't see how suggesting that The English are indeed Anglo-Saxons is somehow ignorant or racist.

We do have a lot of other races who have made the UK their home but to suggest that it's somehow racist or ignorant to acknowledge that the host race is Anglo-Saxon is quite ludicrous.

I appreciate that history is a boring topic to many but historically the English nation was colonized by the Anglo-Saxons after the collapse of the Roman Empire and are the nation's founders. To suggest actually saying this out loud is ignorant is quite frankly ridiculous.

History is never a boring topic Seren, I love it; in fact I'm now going to use it to further my argument Smile

The fact is we introduced ethnic minorities to this country, as we introduced white people to our colonies (like South Africa, which I'll come back to for Doodles in a moment). They are now, likke it or not, woven into our history and that will not change, not ever.

The suggestion was ethnic minorities CANNOT be considered part of an English village. Now I'm sure that many people of ethnic backgrounds would consider themselves English and it is an insult to them and those who consider them as such to imply otherwise.

He also suggested people wouldn't want to see ethnic characters portrayed! That is ignorant, he is almost accusing his audience of being immensley narrow-minded, if not bigots themselves.

^^^MrD; if a South African village were to be portrayed, and a white family being there would be suggested as 'less South African' then yes this would be wrong imho.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw any white actors on the "Kumars" so if it can work one way, it should be permissable to work in reverse. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am

My problem is not the all white cast Fred, it's what the guy actually said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 am

fred bloggs wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw any white actors on the "Kumars" so if it can work one way, it should be permissable to work in reverse. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Smile

You forget Fred, that "Racism" only works one way in this Country! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top