Last Remnants of the Soviet Union...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last Remnants of the Soviet Union...

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 pm

These are just two of the impressive buildings in an upcoming book of photography entitled 'Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed'

The other images I have seen that will feature are equally as striking and fantastic. Though they do seem almost grim at first, it only took me moments to see a true beauty in these buildings, they really are unique.

Yet the building on the left, and others also photographed, are under threat of demolition! But is this right? Though they may be a stark reminder of Soviet Oppression they are history the very same as Auschwitz Death Camp and the Colloseum in Rome (though granted the latter has an altogether more obvious beauty).

So should architectural statements like these be saved? Or should the last remnants of a dreary repressive machine be wiped from history forever?

Back to top Go down

Re: Last Remnants of the Soviet Union...

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="eilzel"][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are just two of the impressive buildings in an upcoming book of photography entitled 'Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed'

The other images I have seen that will feature are equally as striking and fantastic. Though they do seem almost grim at first, it only took me moments to see a true beauty in these buildings, they really are unique.

Yet the building on the left, and others also photographed, are under threat of demolition! But is this right? Though they may be a stark reminder of Soviet Oppression they are history the very same as Auschwitz Death Camp and the Colloseum in Rome (though granted the latter has an altogether more obvious beauty).

So should architectural statements like these be saved? Or should the last remnants of a dreary repressive machine be wiped from history forever?[/quote]

Guido fawlkes was a man before his time .........
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 pm

confused Sorry Victor I don't understand? Do you think they should go Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 pm

eilzel wrote: confused Sorry Victor I don't understand? Do you think they should go Shocked

No, I was speculating that perhaps we would have been better off if guy falwkes had managed to wipe away the "remnants of a repressive machine" in his ill fated attempt.....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 pm

You reckon? Smile

More likley we'd have just been taken over by another Royal inbred for Europe. Do you think we were that repressed at the start of the 17th Century? In context that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:37 pm

eilzel wrote:

So should architectural statements like these be saved? Or should the last remnants of a dreary repressive machine be wiped from history forever?

Hi Eilzel
just found this thread on a lazy Sunday trawling lol

I haven't heard of that book, I'm going to try and get hold of it, thanks for the heads up! Of course these building should be preserved...they are fantastic pieces of architecture as well as culturally important icons. There's an awful lot of excellent modernist architecture from the 20s and 30s that's already been lost in the former Soviet Union since the fall of the Iron Curtain, but fortunately there is a movement there now to preserve what they can from what was actually a golden age of Russian architecture that was not just architectural window dressing, but socially/politically integrated as well.

As such I'd argue strongly that they were't examples of a repressive regime; the first fifteen or so years of the Soviet Union were totally different from the grey oppression of later decades; it was full of vigour and promise and it's architecture was designed to reflect that, looking forward and aiming to provide new, healhier and egalitarian form for living and working in. Even some of the latter Soviet architecture was thus inspired and it wasn't all grey concrete slabs. It's architecture wasn't seen as merely a 'corporate' exercise in astheticism and profit making, but one fully integrated with improving people's lives, which is what architecture should be all about and it inspired many major architects in the West such as Le Corbusier,the Bauhaus etc.

Another brilliant book is 'The Lost Vanguard- Russian Modernist Architecture 1922-1932' full of photogaphy by Richard Pare. many of the buildings in it are under threat or have already,sadly, dissapeared. It's wonderful but a bit expensive; put it on your Amazon wish list and someone might get it for Christmas lol Very Happy

Last edited by Skemster on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Skemster wrote:

Hi Eilzel
just found this thread on a lazy Sunday trawling lol

I haven't heard of that book, I'm going to try and get hold of it, thanks for the heads up! Of course these building should be preserved...they are fantastic pieces of architecture as well as culturally important icons. There's an awful lot of excellent modernist architecture from the 20s and 30s that's already been lost in the former Soviet Union since the fall of the Iron Curtain but fortunately there is a movement there now to preserve what they can from what was actually a golden age of Russian architecture that not just architectural window dressing, but socially/politically integrated as well. Great stuff albeit admittedly an aquired taste.

Another brilliant book is 'The Lost Vanguard- Russian Modernist Architecture 1922-1932' full of photogaphy by Richard Pare. It's wonderful but a bit expensive; put it on your Amazon wish list and someone might get it for Christmas lol Very Happy

Just had a quick look on Amazon for the Lost Vanguard. Sounds great, thanks for letting us know Smile

Will be good to go alongside CCCP as Soviet architecture at the beginning and the end (those in the new book are from the 70's-80's). Will probably order both together (expensive lol). Cosmic is out a week on Friday Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top