POLAR EXCURSION - fact or fiction, when will it happen again, if it will happen again?

Go down

POLAR EXCURSION - fact or fiction, when will it happen again, if it will happen again?

Post by Aspca4ever on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Ok, so this hasn't been something that EVER crossed my 'need to know' or 'geeze, were you aware of this?' ...so this is just pretty out there for this non-science wing-nut.
Asking for your input and wondering if you've heard of this or is this some more 'Tin-Foil' data that just has no basis and I'll enjoy the SCI-FY aspect and file it away?

One day in 1905, the French geophysicist Bernard Brunhes brought back to his lab some rocks he’d unearthed from a freshly cut road near the village of Pont Farin. When he analyzed their magnetic properties, he was astonished at what they showed: Millions of years ago, the Earth’s magnetic poles had been on the opposite sides of the planet. North was south and south was north. The discovery spoke of planetary anarchy. Scientists had no way to explain it.
Today, we know that the poles have changed places hundreds of times, most recently 780,000 years ago. (Sometimes, the poles try to reverse positions but then snap back into place, in what is called an excursion. The last time was about 40,000 years ago.) We also know that when they flip next time, the consequences for the electrical and electronic infrastructure that runs modern civilization will be dire. The question is when that will happen.
****edited for length of article >
The latest satellite data, from the European Space Agency’s Swarm trio, which began reporting in 2014, show that a battle is raging at the edge of the core. Like factions planning a coup, swirling clusters of molten iron and nickel are gathering strength and draining energy from the dipole. The north magnetic pole is on the run, a sign of enhanced turbulence and unpredictability. A cabal in the Southern Hemisphere has already gained the upper hand over about a fifth of the Earth’s surface. A revolution is shaping up.
If these magnetic blocs gain enough strength and weaken the dipole even more, they will force the north and south poles to switch places as they strive to regain supremacy. Scientists can’t say for sure that is happening now — the dipole could beat back the interlopers. But they can say that the phenomenon is intensifying and that they can’t rule out the possibility that a reversal is beginning.
It’s time to wake up to the dangers and start preparing.
For the entire article > > >
https://undark.org/article/books-alanna-mitchell-spinning-magnet/
Aspca4ever

Back to top Go down

Re: POLAR EXCURSION - fact or fiction, when will it happen again, if it will happen again?

Post by Sassy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Never knew that, it's actually quite mind blowing!
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Re: POLAR EXCURSION - fact or fiction, when will it happen again, if it will happen again?

Post by Aspca4ever on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 pm

INDEED ~~~ and now I've been reading about the impact upon our many satellites out there {as well as all of those other nations} and it will impact the ISS too. 

Rather scary and could level the playing field for so many of our 'Military' eye's in the sky and those nuclear long range missile systems that so many dictators seem so encouraged and ready to deploy! 

But on the OH, this could end up being much like the big hype about the coming 'MILLENNIUM' and how our electronics & our computer data basis were going to handle the big 2000 change over.  SMH - at least I can hope!
Aspca4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I can remember the fuss at work about whether to computer systems were all going down at midnight 1999! As you say, let's hope this is the same.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm pretty far behind the 8 ball on this issue; really caught me off guard.  So very 'Sci-fy' and I've never even heard a whisper of it before ...how ODD.  So I'm digging & reading as much info as I can find - then wading through the technical minutiae that is far too advanced for me; needing KD/KevinCorbits assistance with this new found scary polar excursion issue confused
Aspca4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm

He'd be the one to help.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfie on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 am

Arrow

Every million years or so, give or take 220,000 years, the poles decide to flip flop...

But in between, the magnetic poles are slipping that little bit each year as they head towards the equator.  The correction for that shift for navigation is found with the magnetic declination correction down there in the corner of your maps, giving you the correction between magnetic north and true north, in so many minutes or degeees for your location, for each year since the map was drawn up..

These things always measure in geological timescales, as well --  hundreds of thousands, even millions of years,  and keeping in mind that the earth is a couple of billion years old, with another 12 billion years or so left on the clock...

And changes are also cumulative, with other events such as continental drift, ocean currents, occasional meteor and asteroid strikes, and now man-made deforestation/pollution/climate change all adding more possibilities into the mix..

Seems like these stories of impending doom do raise their head for public attention, whenever it's mentioned how badly so many developed countries are dragging the chain in response to current climate change worries..
Wolfie
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Well, I haven't started renting a huge Backhoe to dig & bury my own 24'x14' survival habitat but the topic and need to read about this previous events and plausible upcoming event.
Distraction from the unattainable - can't resolve my countries political chaos ...so this 'Sci-Fy' is a much needed entertainment for me.
And it's providing me with loads of room for my sarcastic/snarky mind to wander off with some twisted plausible events that would be so apropos to the world leaders threatening such vile things with their Nuke Weapons.

Just imagine for a moment {Rod Sterlings voice & the theme tune from Twilight Zone} that those mental midgets with their fingers on those 'NUKE BUTTONS' pushing them just as the Polar Excursion happens and those nukes lift off ...but return right back to their 'home base' ~~~ KARMA BABY!!!  Twisted Evil
This has made me chuckle in a very wicked/twisted 'bwahahahah' way!!!  Suspect
Aspca4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down