History in Schools

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: History in Schools

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:41 am

eilzel wrote:

They should teach them more about that; of courrse that would include our exploitation of many countries and atrocities such as the Boer War. But the Empire also did much good, we abolished slavery and were responsible for the Suez Canal and the influence of the British is still evident today. It was an important era in world history, and much more important in myy mind than the Roman occupation 2000 years ago or Henry VIII's wives.

Was not the British empire that built the Suez canal, that was the french eilzel.

I am all for people understanding the British Empire, if Tom wishes to know, maybe you could argue would we have so much immigration from countries that we previously controlled today, if we had never been involved with any of them, not that I have a problem with immigration, but is a big point when people moan about it, they forget how much we controlled these nations!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 am

Phildidge wrote:

Was not the British empire that built the Suez canal, that was the french eilzel.

I am all for people understanding the British Empire, if Tom wishes to know, maybe you could argue would we have so much immigration from countries that we previously controlled today, if we had never been involved with any of them, not that I have a problem with immigration, but is a big point when people moan about it, they forget how much we controlled these nations!

How about that, I just assumed as we were the major power in the region at the time; that'll show me lol!

Anyway you are right, immigration here is partly a direct result of that- and it is interesting Tom would want an emphasis on the Empire- since if told honestly it would near justify anyone from commonwealth nations wanting to come here today, following our treatment of their ancestors in the past. He is right though, it should be taught more, it is very immediate and very relevant today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:35 am

eilzel wrote:

Yes Romans, Tudors, and the War are great subjects. The stupid thing is in overall historical relevance to THIS country, there were more important things than Roman Occupation and Henry VIII.

I can't think of anything more relevant than the reign of Henry VIII myself in shaping our nation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 am

Seren wrote:

I can't think of anything more relevant than the reign of Henry VIII myself in shaping our nation.

The Aragorn/Boleyn affair and the Reformation yes I totally agree. But far too much is given to him, his failures against France and other marriages and not nearly enough for other just as if not more important areas. I don't think Alfred the Great was even mentioned when I was at school; the Hundred Years war I don't remember learning then; and the Empire was briefed over as we went from The Stuarts and Civil War to World War One.

I'm not saying nothing of Henry's reign should be taught The Reformation is one of the most important periods in Euroopean history; it is the playful focus on all his marriages that could be dropped in favour of more important areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 am

eilzel wrote:

The Aragorn/Boleyn affair and the Reformation yes I totally agree. But far too much is given to him, his failures against France and other marriages and not nearly enough for other just as if not more important areas. I don't think Alfred the Great was even mentioned when I was at school; the Hundred Years war I don't remember learning then; and the Empire was briefed over as we went from The Stuarts and Civil War to World War One.

I'm not saying nothing of Henry's reign should be taught The Reformation is one of the most important periods in Euroopean history; it is the playful focus on all his marriages that could be dropped in favour of more important areas.

Agreed there.

What should be really focussed on is the Reformation and the severing of England's ties with Rome and the connotations that would have on our future history and the future British Empire.

I don't think that students actually "get" how important te Reformation was until a lot later, well I didn't but my mother is a real history fan so I got oodles of history at home.

It did introduce me to the play about Thomas Moore which still is one of my favourite plays of all time to this day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am

Seren wrote:

Agreed there.

What should be really focussed on is the Reformation and the severing of England's ties with Rome and the connotations that would have on our future history and the future British Empire.

I don't think that students actually "get" how important te Reformation was until a lot later, well I didn't but my mother is a real history fan so I got oodles of history at home.

It did introduce me to the play about Thomas Moore which still is one of my favourite plays of all time to this day.

Very true; I am now studying with the OU and part of this years module covers the Reformation. I just read a book on it (The Long European Reformation) and was fascinated by the whole European affair, the Reformation practically shaped the continent. I think History when I was at school focused to much on characters during specific periods. It should be done like an arc, linking big events in one century to those of the next.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:12 am

Seren wrote:

Agreed there.

There is a theory that Henry suffered undetected brain injury which profoundly affected his personality, after which he turned into the tyrant we have come to know today, due to an injury whilst jousting.
What is interesting if this is true, would he have doen the things that later made Henry become cruel, vicious and paranoid, it was after this that he executed over 50,000 people and after this that he beheaded Anne, would things have been different without this injury?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:32 pm

eilzel wrote:

How about that, I just assumed as we were the major power in the region at the time; that'll show me lol!

It does kinda prove the point about history (or the lack of) being taught in schools though! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

I think i commented on this on a another forum once , my niece was given a map to work on and her granddad helped her with it, he coloured in all the British empire in red and when she took it school it was ripped up in front of the class, what the f/ck was all that about?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

It does kinda prove the point about history (or the lack of) being taught in schools though! Twisted Evil

Does it though, the Suez canal wasn't covered in school either, and don't think it ought to be tbh Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top