History in Schools

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

History in Schools

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Strange, I was only "talking" to Eilzel about this a couple of days ago. I loved history as a teenager and studied it at both O and A Level (I was the last year to take O-Levels, honest Embarassed ).

History at A-Level was very politically based and it put me off a subject which I loved Sad

It sounds like things have changed recently for the better cheers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/13/schools-failing-at-teaching-history

Back to top Go down

Re: History in Schools

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:20 pm

It does look good FtL. Currently History focuses way too much on (as the article says) Ancient Rome, the Tudors and then the World Wars. When there is so much in between. A broader spectrum of history is essential and contrary to what many may say it is an important subject to learn- it concerns politics, social thinking and philosophy, all very important.

To be honest, much as I hate the Tories, this is one area I believe they are likley to offer the best overhaul Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:24 pm

eilzel wrote:It does look good FtL. Currently History focuses way too much on (as the article says) Ancient Rome, the Tudors and then the World Wars. When there is so much in between. A broader spectrum of history is essential and contrary to what many may say it is an important subject to learn- it concerns politics, social thinking and philosophy, all very important.

To be honest, much as I hate the Tories, this is one area I believe they are likley to offer the best overhaul Very Happy

Great news Eilzel Smile Maybe I'll have to start studying it again myself Very Happy x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 pm

eilzel wrote:It does look good FtL. Currently History focuses way too much on (as the article says) Ancient Rome, the Tudors and then the World Wars. When there is so much in between. A broader spectrum of history is essential and contrary to what many may say it is an important subject to learn- it concerns politics, social thinking and philosophy, all very important.

lol i know alot about all 3 of the subjects mentioned.

the best way to learn history is to find it yourself, it will then lead you into loads of different directions, all of which you will find comes full circle in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm

nitenurse wrote:

lol i know alot about all 3 of the subjects mentioned.

the best way to learn history is to find it yourself, it will then lead you into loads of different directions, all of which you will find comes full circle in the end.

Very true nurse; I learned far more about different areas of history once I'd left school than ever before, and far more in depth through reading, documentaries and actually going to places.

I think everyone knows more than enough about Romans, Tudors and Hitler though Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:03 pm

good subjects though Wink

i learnt about stonehenge <boring> and the Russian Revolution, now that was interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm

nitenurse wrote:

good subjects though Wink

i learnt about stonehenge <boring> and the Russian Revolution, now that was interesting.

I can imagine Stonehenge being quite boring, even if the monument is pretty incredible (have never been yet though). What is there to know really...

I'd like to know far more about the Russian Revolution, and plan on visiting Moscow in the not too distant future. I recently bought the book '10 days that shook the world' think that will be a good intro to it Smile

Yes Romans, Tudors, and the War are great subjects. The stupid thing is in overall historical relevance to THIS country, there were more important things than Roman Occupation and Henry VIII.

I think areas that should be given more attention are- Alfred and the formation of the Kingdom of England. The Hundred Year War with France. The Glorious Revolution and rebellions that followed. The Napoleonic War and the Age of Empire. These were hardly touched when I was in school if at all. Yet are far more important the Boudiccas failed campaign against Rome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:22 pm

the only thing i remember about studying Stonehenge is how they transported the stone from Wales. other then that, nope wasnt sinking in at all. ive saw stonehenge everday for 2 bloody years, i would pass it to and from work. i admit im very un-appreciative of it. Embarassed

there are lots of subjects and i can see how schools cant cover all and its hit and miss to whether it grabs the attention of kids. being taught something that doesnt capture the imagination can cause history to be seen as boring.
the royal family all the way through history is quite a read. the key is never to stop at one place in history but to allow yourself to read into different areas of the same subject. it will just carry you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:34 pm

nitenurse wrote:the only thing i remember about studying Stonehenge is how they transported the stone from Wales. other then that, nope wasnt sinking in at all. ive saw stonehenge everday for 2 bloody years, i would pass it to and from work. i admit im very un-appreciative of it. Embarassed

there are lots of subjects and i can see how schools cant cover all and its hit and miss to whether it grabs the attention of kids. being taught something that doesnt capture the imagination can cause history to be seen as boring.
the royal family all the way through history is quite a read. the key is never to stop at one place in history but to allow yourself to read into different areas of the same subject. it will just carry you.

I agree. Actually its a sad little thing I have in that I can recite our royals from William I Very Happy

I understand how seeing something everyday would take away the shine; I suppose people living in London suffer that fact more than most Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 pm

wow, thats quite a skill to remember all of them, theres quite alot. i know i couldnt.

i think people who have been scarred by history at school should really start with their own. our families are the ones who make up history as it is now. introducing a personal element into the past is an exciting journey. i have done this myself which lead me back into Irish history, a trip to Dublin (on a piss up) and got back to 1780.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:46 pm

nitenurse wrote:wow, thats quite a skill to remember all of them, theres quite alot. i know i couldnt.

i think people who have been scarred by history at school should really start with their own. our families are the ones who make up history as it is now. introducing a personal element into the past is an exciting journey. i have done this myself which lead me back into Irish history, a trip to Dublin (on a piss up) and got back to 1780.

I was obsessed with knowing all the Kings and Queens as a kid, so it just stuck Very Happy Not really worth putting on a CV though lol!

Oddly I've never really looked into my family history. My Gran says we can trace ourline back to Rob Roy; but I don't know. I know my family has Scottish blood on both sides (not something I like to brag about Wink ) but never really gone into it; maybe something to consider Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:55 pm

you should pay attention to your nan, my grandad was known to tell stories which everyone disbelieved at the time. silly them, it was all true.

my first subject i was obsessed with was the Titanic, nothing special in that now but when i was 7 i would recite the first thing i ever read on it. i remember it was from a book of 100 events of history. i can still say it out loud now. that subject lead me to the sister ships of her and into the first world war and the Uboats. it wont be on my CV either Sleep lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 pm

nitenurse wrote:you should pay attention to your nan, my grandad was known to tell stories which everyone disbelieved at the time. silly them, it was all true.

my first subject i was obsessed with was the Titanic, nothing special in that now but when i was 7 i would recite the first thing i ever read on it. i remember it was from a book of 100 events of history. i can still say it out loud now. that subject lead me to the sister ships of her and into the first world war and the Uboats. it wont be on my CV either Sleep lol!

That is a good link into it all; I remember learning about the sinking of the Lusitania from a U-boat; think that's right anyway- believed to be a British conspiracy involved in that Suspect

My Gran knows a lot about history, but we both like to think we are right on cerrtain things so makes for some fun debates Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 am

eilzel wrote:

That is a good link into it all; I remember learning about the sinking of the Lusitania from a U-boat; think that's right anyway- believed to be a British conspiracy involved in that Suspect

My Gran knows a lot about history, but we both like to think we are right on cerrtain things so makes for some fun debates Very Happy

is there conspiracy? i can only remember 2 things about it.

it was used by our government to get the Americans into the war and the ship was rumoured to be carrying arms so used their passengers as human shields (this was disproved, i think)

is any of that the conspiracy? or is there more

Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Being honest though, it is hard for schools to cover everything in History, they have to teach what is useful, interesting and is easy to teach.

It's the same in most subjects, that some things will have to be left out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm the king wrote:

Being honest though, it is hard for schools to cover everything in History, they have to teach what is useful, interesting and is easy to teach.

It's the same in most subjects, that some things will have to be left out.

True King. It is what to place importance on though. Surely things such as the Magna Carta, the slave trade and banning of it, the Napoleonic Wars; are more important than Henrys Wives and Boudicca. I think the problem is the selection. But agreed we could never fit everything Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 am

eilzel wrote:

True King. It is what to place importance on though. Surely things such as the Magna Carta, the slave trade and banning of it, the Napoleonic Wars; are more important than Henrys Wives and Boudicca. I think the problem is the selection. But agreed we could never fit everything Very Happy

It is a huge area to cover eilzel, my personal area I love is ancient history, but have studied many areas, when I was doing my A'level, we had 1 teacher for British History and another for world History, the British teacher was boring, whist the other made everything interesting, and do believe it is down to how it was taught, as I lost interest in the British side. History is always being re-written as well, new evidence uncovered can turn things on its head, which makes history exciting in my opinion.
The difficulty with older history, is how authentic it is, most history handed down is written by the victors, often being biased, though archeology does often help balance out some of this.

Maybe you could start events in History on here that you may have a interest on, will allow all to look into more and gain a better understanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Phildidge wrote:

It is a huge area to cover eilzel, my personal area I love is ancient history, but have studied many areas, when I was doing my A'level, we had 1 teacher for British History and another for world History, the British teacher was boring, whist the other made everything interesting, and do believe it is down to how it was taught, as I lost interest in the British side. History is always being re-written as well, new evidence uncovered can turn things on its head, which makes history exciting in my opinion.
The difficulty with older history, is how authentic it is, most history handed down is written by the victors, often being biased, though archeology does often help balance out some of this.

Maybe you could start events in History on here that you may have a interest on, will allow all to look into more and gain a better understanding.

Good idea phil alien

I'll try and get some up before the end of the week, maybe something on Akhenaten and his establishing monotheism in Ancient Egypt- I'll come up with some other ideas too; and any you have would be great Smile

You are right about Ancient History being hard to authenticate. I'm actually doing an OU course atm and we just covered Cleopatra. I wasn't aware nearly all accounts of her are Roman and centuries after her death Shocked Makes the real Cleopatra hard to imagine, but interesting reading about it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 pm

I agree, great idea Phildidge. Looking forward to it Eilzel I love you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Feelthelove wrote:I agree, great idea Phildidge. Looking forward to it Eilzel I love you x

Perhaps if they would teach world history and how what happens in one country affects another and why cultures are different it might help!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 am

eilzel wrote:

not true about Henry elizel....because of his rampant libido it changed the course of England and ultimately the UK's as well (ie mary queen of scots being run out and ultimately beheaded which led to the Union), the Reformation and dispersal of the monastaries etc...(sorry i will stop)

I loved History but was made to study stoopid old corn laws and repeal of them and the Industrial Revolution which unless you are scientifically minded is BORING imho. But as I grew older I love it and have built up quite a personal library of different periods of time but it wasn't thanks to my O level teacher. But to give him benefit of the doubt it is hard because there is so much to chose from, let's face it 6,000+ years (or whatever it is - see told you i am crap at science) with all the different cultures, countries, races, wars it is hard to narrow it down isn't it lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:35 pm

cass wrote:

not true about Henry elizel....because of his rampant libido it changed the course of England and ultimately the UK's as well (ie mary queen of scots being run out and ultimately beheaded which led to the Union), the Reformation and dispersal of the monastaries etc...(sorry i will stop)

I loved History but was made to study stoopid old corn laws and repeal of them and the Industrial Revolution which unless you are scientifically minded is BORING imho. But as I grew older I love it and have built up quite a personal library of different periods of time but it wasn't thanks to my O level teacher. But to give him benefit of the doubt it is hard because there is so much to chose from, let's face it 6,000+ years (or whatever it is - see told you i am crap at science) with all the different cultures, countries, races, wars it is hard to narrow it down isn't it lol!

Sorry Cass forgot to reply to this yesterday Embarassed

You are right of course about Henry and the Reformation. But we spent silly amounnts of time on things like the Mary Rose, which have little long term relevance. I hardly remember studying the reformation at all- which as you point out was probably the most important period of Henrys reign.

The Union is also a wildly important part of history. But the road it takes should include the Glorious Revolution and later jacobite rebellions- which again barely get a mention.

I suppose the problem is, as King pointed out, there is so much Shocked lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 pm

eilzel wrote:

Sorry Cass forgot to reply to this yesterday Embarassed

You are right of course about Henry and the Reformation. But we spent silly amounnts of time on things like the Mary Rose, which have little long term relevance. I hardly remember studying the reformation at all- which as you point out was probably the most important period of Henrys reign.

The Union is also a wildly important part of history. But the road it takes should include the Glorious Revolution and later jacobite rebellions- which again barely get a mention.

I suppose the problem is, as King pointed out, there is so much Shocked lol!

just like there are too many threads to reply to albino lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:33 pm

why don't they teach kids about the British empire
why do they try and hide the facts, should they not let kids make up their own minds. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:16 am

tom sawyer wrote:
why don't they teach kids about the British empire
why do they try and hide the facts, should they not let kids make up their own minds. Sad

They should teach them more about that; of courrse that would include our exploitation of many countries and atrocities such as the Boer War. But the Empire also did much good, we abolished slavery and were responsible for the Suez Canal and the influence of the British is still evident today. It was an important era in world history, and much more important in myy mind than the Roman occupation 2000 years ago or Henry VIII's wives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top