Cardinal George Pell charged with multiple sexual offences

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cardinal George Pell charged with multiple sexual offences

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 am

Cardinal George Pell, Australia’s most senior Catholic and the third-ranking official in the Vatican, has been charged with multiple sexual offences by police.

The charges were served on Pell’s legal representatives in Melbourne on Thursday and they have been lodged also at Melbourne magistrates court. He will appear at the court on 18 July.

“Cardinal Pell is facing multiple charges … and there are multiple complainants,” Victoria police’s deputy commissioner Shane Patton said. The charges were “historical sexual assault offences”.

Pell is the highest-ranking Vatican official to be charged in the Catholic church’s long-running sexual abuse scandal.

He has consistently denied all allegations against him. After the possibility of his being charged was raised publicly, Pell told reporters: “I’d just like to restate my innocence.

“I stand by everything I’ve said at the royal commission [on child sexual abuse] and in other places. We have to respect due process, wait until it’s concluded and obviously I’ll continue to cooperate fully.”

Asked if he would be prepared to go to Australia, he said: “I will continue to cooperate fully.”

It is so far unclear just which allegations Pell has been charged with.

Detectives from Victoria police’s Sano taskforce, established to investigate allegations that emerged during a parliamentary inquiry in Victoria and the later royal commission, interviewed Pell in Rome in October about allegations against him.

Last year, citing ill health, Pell declined to return to Australia to give evidence to the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse in person last year and instead gave evidence by videolink from Rome.

The royal commission, formed in 2013, is due to deliver its final report by 15 December.

In February the Australian Senate called on the cardinal to return home “to assist the Victorian police and office of public prosecutions with their investigation into these matters”.

Pell dismissed the parliamentary resolution as “an interference on the part of the Senate in the due process of the Victoria police investigation”.

The cardinal is a former archbishop of Sydney and Melbourne. Since 2014 he has been prefect of the secretariat for the economy – the Vatican’s treasurer.

When Pope Francis was asked about allegations against Pell last year, he told reporters: “It’s true, there is a doubt. We have to wait for justice and not first make a mediatic judgment a judgment of gossip because that won’t help. Once justice has spoken, I will speak.”

Patton told the media conference: “During the course of the investigation in relation to Cardinal Pell, there has been a lot of reporting in the media and speculation about the process that has been involved in the investigation and also the charging.

“For clarity, I want to be perfectly clear, the process and procedures that are being followed in the charging of Cardinal Pell have been the same that have been applied in a whole range of historical sex offences whenever we investigate them.

“The fact that he has been charged on summons, we have used advice from the office of public prosecutions and also we have engaged with his legal representatives is common and standard practice. There has been no change in any procedures whatsoever. Advice was received and sought from the office of public prosecutions, however ultimately, the choice to charge Cardinal Pell was one that was made by Victoria police.

“Cardinal Pell, like any other defendant, has a right to due process and so therefore, it is important that the process is allowed to run its natural course.”

Patton said as the matter was now due before the court, police would be making no further comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-with-multiple-sexual-offences

Creationism?

There was never ever a mention against child abuse in their books?

So lots of these creationists don't see child abuse as being a sin?

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Re: Cardinal George Pell charged with multiple sexual offences

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 am

Didn't the facebook founder say that creationists should practice via facebook?

I think that it would be a very good idea!

Convert ALL religious buildings into hostels for the homeless.
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 am

..New hostels to be controlled by non religious people Smile
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 am

Razz
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

It’s the end of the road for George Pell, Vatican insiders say

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Vatican insiders are already ­preparing to pension off George Pell, regardless of the ­outcome of any court case on historic sex ­offences.

The Australian has been told it is very unlikely Cardinal Pell will return to Rome in his high-profile role managing Vatican finances because the Pope, while supportive of Cardinal Pell, is seeking to fend off his harshest critics and minimise reputational damage.

Cardinal Pell emphatically claimed to have been subjected to a relentless character assassination, referring to media reports in Australia, but he has not enjoyed blanket support from within cardinal circles at the Vatican.

Always forthright, Cardinal Pell created several enemies as he sought to reform church fin­ances and bring international ­accoun­tancy standards to the multibillion-dollar ­finances of the church.

“That is the end of the road for George Pell in the Vatican, regardless of the outcome — he will be pensioned off when the court case finishes,’’ a Vatican insider told The Australian.

read more
‘Pell knew charges were coming’

Such a scenario does not feature in the plans of Cardinal Pell, who stated he wanted to return to Rome to continue his work once he had cleared his name.

“News of these charges strengthens my resolve and the court proceedings now offer me an opportunity to clear my name and return here to Rome to work,” he said.

Yet his appearance inside the Holy See press office may prove to be one of his final appearances at the Vatican.

Officials said he would no longer take part in any official ­Vatican duties as of yesterday, until further notice.

Officially, Cardinal Pell has been given leave of absence, but at the age of 76, ­he is already a year past normal ­retirement age, which offers the church a ready ­explanation to dispense with his services.

The charging of Cardinal Pell came as a huge shock within the Vatican.

Experienced Vatican reporter Paddy Agnew, of the Irish Times, said: “This will have rocked the Pope. Cardinal Pell is one of his top aides, and the Pope will know that there will be a reputational ­fallout from this.

“This will be used by the Pope’s critics — and there are many of them jumping up and down with delight, using this against Pope Francis.

“Pope Francis might have been slow to understand the weight of the sex abuse allegations but he has learned a lot and he will not in any way minimise it or push under ­carpet. He has learned that will be a big mistake to cover it up,’’ Agnew said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/its-the-end-of-the-road-for-george-pell-vatican-insiders-say/news-story/549f7ac333197a23635024e11910bba0

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 pm

I doubt that very many rabid and religious right wingers will speak out against this.

Some (moletrousers) may have worn dog collars themselves in the past?

Choir leader?

Why do many of them prefer not to speak out against vile abuses like this?

Racism, homophobia, terrorism and incitement to kill, child abuse best ignored?

Reserve your rabid hatred for local and minor issues that effect your fwiends!

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Last edited by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm

'All hate speech should be free just don't offend me' (eddie)

'kicked the shit out of him until he was a gibbering wreck'

..Such gentlemanly language from an uppity twat (moletrousers) lol

Oh do fuck off!

(forum signature)
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 am

As much as my admiration and respect for Pope Francis has renewed my thirst for greater understanding for the pomp & circumstances that make up this - this type of faith ...his slugging away at the legions of repugnant filth and vile perversion that the Priest & Nuns have been able to do within those closed walls, one had to know his battle to purge the sinners was going to be hard fought.

Patton told the media conference: “During the course of the investigation in relation to Cardinal Pell, there has been a lot of reporting in the media and speculation about the process that has been involved in the investigation and also the charging.  For clarity, I want to be perfectly clear, the process and procedures that are being followed in the charging of Cardinal Pell have been the same that have been applied in a whole range of historical sex offences whenever we investigate them."

my selective edification > > >

“This will be used by the Pope’s critics — and there are many of them jumping up and down with delight, using this against Pope Francis.  Pope Francis might have been slow to understand the weight of the sex abuse allegations but he has learned a lot and he will not in any way minimise it or push under ­carpet. He has learned that will be a big mistake to cover it up,’’
Agnew said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/its-the-end-of-the-road-for-george-pell-vatican-insiders-say/news-story/549f7ac333197a23635024e11910bba0

Pope Francis has made his own enemies within those gilded walls of the Vatican; making such drastic changes as with the pious way he lives - the meals he prefers - the vehicles he expects his staff to drive - his long hours of work.  That's not the 'Hotel Hilton' that it was with the tottering/senile prior Popes that preferred to sleep and remain cloistered in their solitude and pray and write.  No, Pope Francis is a 'mover & a shaker' and he's shaken the Vatican in many - many ways. 

Shaking the very foundation, but still those evil/despicable perpetrators cling onto their divine/comforts and cushy positions. No
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 am

Aspca4ever wrote:As much as my admiration and respect for Pope Francis has renewed my thirst for greater understanding for the pomp & circumstances that make up this - this type of faith ...his slugging away at the legions of repugnant filth and vile perversion that the Priest & Nuns have been able to do within those closed walls, one had to know his battle to purge the sinners was going to be hard fought.

Patton told the media conference: “During the course of the investigation in relation to Cardinal Pell, there has been a lot of reporting in the media and speculation about the process that has been involved in the investigation and also the charging.  For clarity, I want to be perfectly clear, the process and procedures that are being followed in the charging of Cardinal Pell have been the same that have been applied in a whole range of historical sex offences whenever we investigate them."

my selective edification > > >

“This will be used by the Pope’s critics — and there are many of them jumping up and down with delight, using this against Pope Francis.  Pope Francis might have been slow to understand the weight of the sex abuse allegations but he has learned a lot and he will not in any way minimise it or push under ­carpet. He has learned that will be a big mistake to cover it up,’’
Agnew said.

Pope Francis has made his own enemies within those gilded walls of the Vatican; making such drastic changes as with the pious way he lives - the meals he prefers - the vehicles he expects his staff to drive - his long hours of work.  That's not the 'Hotel Hilton' that it was with the tottering/senile prior Popes that preferred to sleep and remain cloistered in their solitude and pray and write.  No, Pope Francis is a 'mover & a shaker' and he's shaken the Vatican in many - many ways. 

Shaking the very foundation, but still those evil/despicable perpetrators cling onto their divine/comforts and cushy positions. No

As a confirmed lapsed catholic myself, i can't see any kind of difference in the governance of the catholic church since the days of JP2 tbf Evil or Very Mad
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:32 am

Well, I've been reading and following his exploits - his making waves and for some within the Vatican, have been more like a Tsunami that was much needed.
I thought you'd enjoy #4 & #15 particularly Wink 
He's disappointed me in a couple if issues: not allowing nuns to act in the stead of Priest for those rural/poor regions that just can't keep & support a priest in the manner that they'd prefer, so they just don't stay.  And his Canonizing that horrid/fake/creature Mother Teresa  ...granted there was a huge push for this to happen and the facts weren't well written within the hierarchy of the Vatican so perhaps the flow of factual data was stymied from going up the food chain! Suspect  
But that horrid/hoarder of medical supplies made those poor unfortunate people suffer and exposed them all to communicable diseases by reusing needles and other medical supplies that she was getting new replacements for and mega donations to pay for newer stuff that was to be disposable - NOT REUSED!
But, shoot ...Pope Francis must have missed my messages and didn't get my emails.  Rolling Eyes

1. The Pope has asked members of Vatican to be even more hands on with helping the poor and sick.
The San Francisco Globe
For example, he’s asked Archbiship Konrad Krajewski to step up and perform acts of charity on his behalf, such as personal visits and talks with the sick and old.

2. Unlike his predecessors, Pope Francis chooses humility above luxury possessions.

The San Francisco Globe
He chooses to ride in a Ford Focus while others have chosen more expensive, showy vehicles such as Mercedes or a custom built Renault.

3. He auctioned his bike to benefit the homeless.

The San Francisco Globe
In October, he auctioned his Harley and donated the money to start a soup kitchen in Rome.

4. Pope Francis believes that the Church should not interfere in the lives of gays and lesbians.

The San Francisco Globe

5. He did one of the most important masses of the year in the chapel of a prison and kissed the feet of the prisoners.

The San Francisco Globe

6. He is in favor of the protection of the Amazon rainforest.

The San Francisco Globe
When he visited Brazil, he spent time visiting the local people of the Amazon and supported their cause against those who exploit their lands and resources. In his speeches, he encouraged them to take care of this beautiful garden of humanity.

7. Called and personally comforted a woman who was raped.

The San Francisco Globe
A 44 year old lady who was violated personally wrote to the Pope, and he contacted her and comforted her.

8. He often leaves the Vatican at night to help the homeless.

The San Francisco Globe

9. He hugged and kissed Vinicio Riva who has neurofibramotis, a genetic disorder.

The San Francisco Globe

10. He made it clear that atheists can be great people.

The San Francisco Globe
In early 2013, the Pope broke tradition by saying that the perception of atheists by the church were they were evil people and that was wrong. He said, “Atheists are good people simply because they do good.” President Uruguay (a confirmed atheist) referred to the Pope as a dear neighbor.

11. Condemned to the financial system

In May, the Pope condemned the financial system, class separation, and conversion of the human beings in a consumer machines. The Pope is clear that money is to serve and NOT to govern.

12. Fought against child abuse.

The San Francisco Globe
In recent years, the church has been the center of attention on issues related to child abuse. This Pope was the first to act hard and with a firm hand against these cases. He set up a committee to pursue these cases, and the Vatican changed the law to establish these acts as crimes.

13. Condemned the violence of war in Syria.

The San Francisco Globe
He said: “We want a world of peace, we want to be men and women of peace. We want you in our society torn by divisions and conflicts, explode the peace. No more war. ” He said, “My heart is deeply hurt by what is happening in Syria and distressed by the dramatic developments that have come about there.”

14. Donated to Vatican employee bonuses to charity.

The San Francisco Globe
When you choose a new Pope, Vatican employees usually receive a bonus. This time, the Pope turned the money to charity.

15. Stated that the Church was too obsessed with abortion, gay marriage, and contraception

The San Francisco Globe
He said the church’s stance on these issues was taking an air of obsession. He also criticized the church for forgetting the important belief of true love and prioritizing moral doctrines before serving the poor and marginalized.

16. He encouraged cooperation between Christians and Muslims

The San Francisco Globe

When praying, the Pope proclaimed his respect for the end of Ramadan and encouraged Christians and Muslims to work together to achieve love.

17. The Pope is never shy to take selfies!

The San Francisco Globe

18. A small child somehow made it onto the stage during an important mass. The Pope requested that the child stay on stage with him.

The San Francisco Globe
In the midst of a major celebration, he told his security he did not want a child, who jumped on stage to hug him, to be taken away. In fact, he went further by offering the child a seat in a chair.
https://www.littlethings.com/18-acts-from-pope/ 

Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 am

...All that i can say is, don't go to the catholic church (or any other religious institution) to find solace! Laughing

I wasn't forced to go. My mother was religious but she never went to church, religious artifacts and symbols were around when i was growing up though.

In my early teens and since the age of ten and being the eldest and having to try to help keep the family on an even keel, as there was lots of bitterness going on between my father and mother and his mistress in the divorce courts and lots of violent verbal conversations on the phone and my father coming to our door, with the police having to be called etc..and i was very active in supporting my mother during this period.

..I did seek out the church a means of escape and to get some mental comfort.

When i came to terms with my homosexuality (which i knew at aged about 9)

.....I cut off all contact with my local church at about 17, there was a period of reflection and then i joined a local gay youth group!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:25 am

My mother knew that we went through very hard times though, when my grandmother provided the child care and we all moved in together...Then my mother excelled in work as she had a very good brain.

She got into high powered jobs to build up the fortune for her kids, my grandmother had a tidy sum that was invested in off sea accounts etc..

..So we have a reasonable life style and don't want, which is what my mother wanted for us!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 am

My middle brother is retiring at the end of this year and he's 45!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 am

Oh...and..

I've worked myself in local and central government departments over the years..

Worked at the bank of Tokyo, and paid into a pension scheme myself over a few years there.

I had a private pension as well from aged 20!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 am

I came around with my craving for knowledge about 'WHAT GOD' and 'WHY THIS CHURCH'; having been force fed the faith that my mother drug us 6 kids to Wednesday evening for 'Fellowship' - Sunday school at 10am on Sunday then Church service at 11am till noon and often a warm/fuzzy fellowship luncheon with the membership & pot luck - bring a covered dish so the pastor & his horrid can eat for FREE, right after service --- Southern Baptist Church.  2 steps up from Jehovah Witness and dam near a carbon copy of Zion Lutheran but without the white hair caps for the women folk!
Stick and boring was the basics; hell fire and damnation the weekly sermons ...where we got a refresher course in what/why/how fast we were going straight to hell and Satan was always lurking around in the shadows just waiting for us to waver in our daily duties/thoughts and actions! scratch
And as poor as we {my family} were my thoughts and longing to belong to that beacon of beauty - the Catholic Church that was on the prettiest street - where all the biggest houses were built - the nuns in their neat/crisp robes and those priest were always cheerful and smiling - waved at ya and hollered 'come on over and play ball' or you were NEVER - EVER ALLOWED ONTO THE CHURCH PROPERTY.  
Scared grounds unless you were 'CATHOLIC', and those beads ...why they were a thing to cherish and must have magical powers, cause every good smelling - fancy dressed lady in our rural area carried them.  That was my childhood; what I longed to be part of and the reality of the 'hell-fire & brim-stone' boring/repetitive preacher and mean/whiny children that I got 3 servings of weekly.  We did have glorious acapella music, sometimes with a guitar accompaniment too and our Christmas programs were glorious - redundant but glorious as you age progressed up through the Birth of Christ parts for the Christmas pageant. Razz 
Finding 'OTHER' people from 'OTHER' faiths in my college days ...well, that was like Dorothy finding out those Rubbery slippers could take her home if she just clicked her heels together!  Shocked  
I was shell shocked/amazed/mesmerized/fascinated/and couldn't read enough of all those 'OPTIONS' on how to achieve NERVANA &/or HEAVEN, in 7 easy steps!  LOL   Read
And I'm still sponging up the info as if my life depended upon the data. study   
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 am

Aspca4ever wrote:I came around with my craving for knowledge about 'WHAT GOD' and 'WHY THIS CHURCH'; having been force fed the faith that my mother drug us 6 kids to Wednesday evening for 'Fellowship' - Sunday school at 10am on Sunday then Church service at 11am till noon and often a warm/fuzzy fellowship luncheon with the membership & pot luck - bring a covered dish so the pastor & his horrid can eat for FREE, right after service --- Southern Baptist Church.  2 steps up from Jehovah Witness and dam near a carbon copy of Zion Lutheran but without the white hair caps for the women folk!
Stick and boring was the basics; hell fire and damnation the weekly sermons ...where we got a refresher course in what/why/how fast we were going straight to hell and Satan was always lurking around in the shadows just waiting for us to waver in our daily duties/thoughts and actions! scratch
And as poor as we {my family} were my thoughts and longing to belong to that beacon of beauty - the Catholic Church that was on the prettiest street - where all the biggest houses were built - the nuns in their neat/crisp robes and those priest were always cheerful and smiling - waved at ya and hollered 'come on over and play ball' or you were NEVER - EVER ALLOWED ONTO THE CHURCH PROPERTY.  
Scared grounds unless you were 'CATHOLIC', and those beads ...why they were a thing to cherish and must have magical powers, cause every good smelling - fancy dressed lady in our rural area carried them.  That was my childhood; what I longed to be part of and the reality of the 'hell-fire & brim-stone' boring/repetitive preacher and mean/whiny children that I got 3 servings of weekly.  We did have glorious acapella music, sometimes with a guitar accompaniment too and our Christmas programs were glorious - redundant but glorious as you age progressed up through the Birth of Christ parts for the Christmas pageant. Razz 
Finding 'OTHER' people from 'OTHER' faiths in my college days ...well, that was like Dorothy finding out those Rubbery slippers could take her home if she just clicked her heels together!  Shocked  
I was shell shocked/amazed/mesmerized/fascinated/and couldn't read enough of all those 'OPTIONS' on how to achieve NERVANA &/or HEAVEN, in 7 easy steps!  LOL   Read
And I'm still sponging up the info as if my life depended upon the data. study   

My mother went to a school run by nuns.

She never talked about it to me, but my brother said that he got into coversation with her once about it, and it was very traumatic.
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 am

Doug loves the wizard of oz!

There is a Jugy Garland room at the gay quest house that we are staying in Brighton for gay pride.

I've emailed the owners to try to get that room!

Fingers crossed!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philagain1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 am

I'm really paranoid in crowds of people.

I said to Doug that he has to hold my hand ALL the time and if i get too much panic, then we have to go back to the hotel, but he can go out after if he wants.
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Philagain1 wrote:I'm really paranoid in crowds of people.

I said to Doug that he has to hold my hand ALL the time and if i get too much panic, then we have to go back to the hotel, but he can go out after if he wants.

I too don't like huge crowds of people   pale
I have this area of 'MY SPACE' that I prefer to not have but a select few humans invade when I'm out & about.  But on the other hand, I'm quite a warm/touchy feely/hugging type of human when one-on-one. 
But I've enjoyed just sitting and viewing people from afar and like people watching ...just prefer not to be out there getting pushed/shoved/pulled by the hordes of them when trying to enjoy a social function or entertainment venue.

Keeping my hopes & fingers crossed for you to obtain that 'Judy Garland' room too.  What fun. Very Happy
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top