Stardesk's Mystical Ramblings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stardesk's Mystical Ramblings

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 pm

MYSTICS, WHO NEEDS THEM?

Published in Pagan Dawn, in response to an article in a previous issue.

I read in the Letters to the Editor page of the Lughnasadh (Autumn) issue of Pagan Dawn a letter from someone posing the question of the continuance of our spirit selves after the demise of our sun and planet Earth. I browsed through the Samhain issue with eagerness, hoping there would be some response to his question but no, there wasn’t.
What I did read in the Samhain issue was a letter querying whether we need mystics in paganism. Of course we do. Paganism isn’t just about cooking healthy organic food, nor about pub moots, rituals, and having the guts to ‘come out’ and proclaim your beliefs. If your belief is strong enough you will proclaim it and be damned to the consequences, as I’ve done. I still have a circle of friends, no one has rejected me for my beliefs. I still get invited out and friends and relatives still come round for a meal or a cuppa. At worst they might avoid the subject of religion and beliefs, but that’s all.
Mysticism is a must, you can’t just pick up a statue of a Goddess and say, “Ah, I like the look of you, I’ll believe in you.” Nor yet a book of rituals which you dash home to apply and try out behind closed curtains, and await the outcome with tongue in cheek or fear in your heart at your audacity. “Oh God, was Jehovah watching me? Will I be blasted to hell by a bolt of lightning?” NO! A thousand times no. There are many and various religious beliefs on this planet which owe their existence to, and which are supported by initial and fundamental thoughts. No ancient religion is suddenly spawned upon unsuspecting Mankind as a full blown belief system with its good book, observances and rituals. These things need time to be nurtured and grow. Obviously in the early days of Mankind’s emergence upon the stage of free-thinking and philosophising life, there must have been contemplation and discourse upon those now well used phrases: ‘Where do I come from? What’s it all for? What is the purpose of life?’ Seeking answers to these questions, especially death, would have led to a fear of the unknown. As a consequence mediators such as witch doctors, shamen, holy men, and medicine men, would have slowly emerged as go-betweens to help assuage any repercussions from the spirits believed to inhabit all things. Thus we had the basis for organised religion, for human nature, being what it is, would have bracketed everything, put it in a box, tied a label round it‘s neck, and scribbled a name on it.
What’s in a name? Sadly human prejudice. “If you don’t subscribe to, and believe in our box with its own unique name, then you’re evil and not one of us.” So say the small minded who refuse to, or have not the ability, to climb out of their smug, secure little box with its psychological security. At least Paganism has the courage to accept the possibilities of many and varied deities, both male and female, good bad and indifferent. But even with our great pantheon of divine beings, Paganism, duly boxed and labelled by some, is not the whole and complete answer.
Over many years of direct involvement in spiritualism and especially healing, there is one thing I’ve learned, despite opposition and criticism from member colleagues, it matters not to which divine being you pay homage, for not one of them has the monopoly on life and life after death. Not one of them has the controlling percentage of shares in the panoply of life. Part of the answer lies within the subject and practice of healing. I listened once to a broadcast on Radio 5 Live by a well known national Healer and Medium, Eileen Drury. She proclaimed that healing can only come from God, I presumed she meant Jehovah. How wrong she is, for healing is a perfectly natural process, relying not on a divine personage but on natural and universal energy forces into which most people can tap and utilise. The same energy forces that are sent out on a wing and a prayer.
It doesn’t matter if you face the east five times a day and say your prayers, or make a pilgrimage to Mecca; it matters not if you pray at and bang your head on that famous ancient wall in Jerusalem; It matters not if you count your rosary, go to confession, say your Hail Mary or eat the wafer and wine, (symbols of cannibalism, surely). You can meditate and say Om, until you are saturated with the sound; Pray to a mountain or tree; venerate the holy cows of India; it matters not. For healing works on most people, young and old, male and female, clever or naïve, believers or atheists, law abiding or the most heinous of criminals, devout Christians or Pagans. As far as we know babies and animals have no conception of divine allegiance and yet they can be healed. Thus, proving the point that healing is natural and not a god-given gift.
Energy keeps cropping up, doesn’t it. Everything on this planet, including the planet itself, relies upon some form of energy for its existence. As most of us know, when a plant dies it rots down and feeds something else. Everything on the planet feeds off something else, whether that something is alive or dead, and yet when it dies the energy doesn’t die with it. We can take this argument out further, into space if you like. When our planet eventually dies and the solar system with it, the energy which helped to give it form and life surely does not cease to exist. If the energy that helped to give substance to the stars, the galaxy, and the universe itself, were to disappear into nothingness, non-being, non-existent, then the universe and all the life it contains would cease to be. That is something which I find totally illogical. Mother Nature does not work like that and using our argument above and working on a small scale, a dead plant or animal feeds something else, nothing is wasted and, as painful as it may be to any puritans reading this, the destruction is necessary for the residue will eventually help nourishment and growth in some other life-form, whether animal, vegetable or mineral. The dust, debris and energy from an exploding star will spread out into space to be, eventually, captured and compacted into another star, another world. Though I’m no scientist my reasoning tells me that eventually even a black hole will reach a point when it will transform and give back all that it has sucked into itself, even if that be into a different universe in a different dimension in time and space. The only thing that is infinite and eternal is the process of creation-destruction-creation, ad-infinitum and, although it’s a topic for discussion another time, from a human perspective, where is the Divine Justice in that?
Our cognizance of ourselves as thinking, knowing individuals aware of our own identities, is apparently based upon a collection of electrical -energy- impulses and waves we call thoughts. It is this ball of self-aware cognizant energy that goes on to exist when the physical body dies. It still retains an awareness of itself and is free from the shackles of a physical body to
exist, or vibrate in a more natural setting, such as electricity, magnetism and various other forms of energy not normally visible to the human senses. As energy continues to exist then it follows on that the spirit, or cognizant ball of energy called ‘me’ continues to exist but on a different level to that of our normal five senses, somewhere out there. The continued existence or demise of Planet Earth and the sun should not figure in the argument, unless of course their demise alters completely the atomic structure of the universe, which is doubtful.

Some years ago I was accused by radio broadcaster and critic Kennedy Williamson, of being too metaphysical, a subject he believed wasn’t needed in this day and age. I disagreed and continued on in my own sweet way for I believed, and still do, that metaphysics, and mystics, are needed. What do you think? Do we need Mystics? Bright blessings folks.

Back to top Go down

Re: Stardesk's Mystical Ramblings

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Excellent once again stardesk Very Happy I even laughed out loud at "say your Hail Mary or eat the wafer and wine, (symbols of cannibalism, surely)".

When I became disillusioned with catholicism I needed something to replace it, I read about different religions and like many people found Buddhism the best almost joining a Buddhist meditation class Shocked . I then started on the self help books and found a theory like you describe about the power of ourselves and the universe and how the universe is here to support us. I also think there is negative energy out there and you can choose to feed of the positive or the negative.

I find it very difficult to believe that our spirit dies along with our physical body, what is the point of anything in this life, the journey we are on and the people we love if in the end it is all for nothing!

As for healing, yes it works, unfortunately not all the time as some people seek it too late or it is just not meant to be, which gives the doubters a reason to rubbish it.

I need Mystics! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 pm

A great post stardesk...have a alien . tomorrow perhaps...when i feel a bit less like i've just had my brain cell sucked out.. I'll post a response. Very Happy
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks Victor, I look forward to your reply. Have a good sleep and clear the old head.

Molly, regarding energy. Yes indeed we must consider negative energy. When we generate energy, either on our own or especially in a group meditation, it can be used as a positive energy to try to help someone, or used as a negative energy to cause problems for someone. As you said healing doesn't work for everyone but generalizing, it does, especially if the person is positively receptive. But, I believe the benefits from healing and any betterment of an ailment come from the individual's positive receptiveness which has an impact on the brain, which in turn can help with self healing, even though the person may not be aware of this. When people are sincere and concentrating during a prayer this too can aid in self healing. Conversely, a Witch's curse, or anyone's for that matter, as seen in many cases in Africa, can result in the recipient feeling ill.

As regards myself and Spiritualism, that was one of several belief systems I immersed myself in, but I slowly came out of it, as I did all the religions I contemplated, and evolution one the day. I even attended a few Witness meetings but that's a story for another day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Do you not believe you can communicate with spirits stardsek?

I have been to a few spiritualist churches but it seems to be everyone knows each other and they are the ones who receive the messages. I have had one message but it was a little vague so not convinced but I hope it was a case of not very good mediums rather than the whole thing being rubbish!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 am

molly wrote:Excellent once again stardesk Very Happy I even laughed out loud at "say your Hail Mary or eat the wafer and wine, (symbols of cannibalism, surely)".

When I became disillusioned with catholicism I needed something to replace it, I read about different religions and like many people found Buddhism the best almost joining a Buddhist meditation class Shocked . I then started on the self help books and found a theory like you describe about the power of ourselves and the universe and how the universe is here to support us. I also think there is negative energy out there and you can choose to feed of the positive or the negative.

I find it very difficult to believe that our spirit dies along with our physical body, what is the point of anything in this life, the journey we are on and the people we love if in the end it is all for nothing!

As for healing, yes it works, unfortunately not all the time as some people seek it too late or it is just not meant to be, which gives the doubters a reason to rubbish it.

I need Mystics! Smile

First of all, Stardesk, what a brilliant article alien

Now Molly. The part of your post I've highlighted is interesting. Your comment is the exact reason why billions of people cannot accept the stand out truths of science: that there is no need for God or Heaven, and that they are most unlikley in any effect. Now I'm going to give you my answer to that from a pov of a fully fledged atheist.

Why does there have to be a 'point'? This earth is young in universal terms and will die as just another rock in the universes infinite lifetime. Now I understand that might sound depressing but it needn't be. That purely signifies the unlikliness that anything here 'matters' in any spritiual sense.

But there is plenty of reason to be grateful and fulfilled in life. We have a very tiny lifetime here but in that time we get to love and to be loved; to see and learn much this earth has to offer; to feel excitment; to be surprised; to feel fulfilled in any part of our lives. Why can't we simply be grateful for all those things? And without needing to be grateful to a particular divine being, just grateful in general that we are part of an ongoing flow of life that has the ability to feel all these things? Remember, had evolution been ever so slightly different, we may never have been...

Next comes the matter of death. Why does there need to be 'another place'? If it existed how is it decided what goes on there? Does a dead tree (which lived once) go to Heaven? Does a cat, which almost certainly had no divine inclinations? Or is that reserved for humans- who wandered a young planet for a speck of time and universally meant nothing? That is just the unliklihood. Next comes the comfort... It is nice to think a dying loved one is simply 'going to Heaven' but as explained above, that seems highly unlikley. But they felt all that we felt too. They had life, and in most cases will have enjoyed much of what it had to offer. Can we not take some comfort in knowing they had something most forms of life would not?

Wow, long post. Hope that wasn't too rambly or boring for you. Just felt the need to explain why the 'point' dosen't mean something must be, and we can enjoy life without devoting it to some allusive creator Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Evening, Molly & Eilzel. Thanks for the compliments.

Molly first: In a lot of Spiritualist churches they have their local resident Medium and of course, a congregation of regulars. This can lead to knowledge of and familiarity between members of the congregation and the medium. That in itself can lead an enquirer, like yourself, to believe most of what you hear isn't coming from spirit, and quite rightly so. I had a lot of experience of that kind of thing and it was one reason I began to back away from Spiritualism.

I have to agree with Eilzel about there being no spirit world. My little lol! treatise above was written at a time I believed in spirit but now I'm not so sure. I said in another topic that I now believe our minds create these future possibilities through a survival instinct. As we all know, our minds are never, ever still, (I'll give you an example and lesson in a minute), even when asleep it is still active when dreaming. Although our individual selves are responsible for most of the content of our minds, it may well have a will of its own and its extinction, through death, is perhaps somehow appeased by believing in a continuation after death.

Lesson: Sit quiet, or preferably when you go to bed, lay out straight, get comfy, then relax as best as you can. Put all thoughts of work, shopping, domestic chores, all those daily activities, out of your mind. Try not to think of anything. Literally, don't think! If you can get beyond about 3 to 4 seconds you are a super being! This will demonstrate what I said about the mind being aware of itself and possibly beyond our complete control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi eilzel, I found your post interesting and I must admit some days I would welcome nothing when I leave this earth as life can be extremely tough at times but to get me through these difficult times I find I need God, I need to feel someone or something is looking out for me and helping me. Yes, It probably is a crutch as I dont have much faith in people Rolling Eyes Now that does sound depressing! Shocked Laughing

There have been too many coincidences in my life for me to just dismiss God but I quite happily dismiss religion. I do think the world would be a much better and happier place if people would look to themselves, become more confident and less insecure, they might be able to see that no person is better or worse they are just different and maybe we could all work towards a better world. Unfortunately, I think religion gives people a superior attitude, I know a few catholics with terrible secrets but who still sit there week in and week out feeling smug and judging others Evil or Very Mad

I used to read a lot but have not had time as family has kept me busy but thanks again guys you have got me interested and I will find time.

Hi stardesk Very Happy I do believe in a spirit world but not sure about being able to contact them on demand as much as I would like it to be true. I think by now there would be more evidence. I used to watch Most Haunted on living till I quickly realised they were all just scared of the dark Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:24 pm

molly wrote:Hi eilzel, I found your post interesting and I must admit some days I would welcome nothing when I leave this earth as life can be extremely tough at times but to get me through these difficult times I find I need God, I need to feel someone or something is looking out for me and helping me. Yes, It probably is a crutch as I dont have much faith in people Rolling Eyes Now that does sound depressing! Shocked Laughing

There have been too many coincidences in my life for me to just dismiss God but I quite happily dismiss religion. I do think the world would be a much better and happier place if people would look to themselves, become more confident and less insecure, they might be able to see that no person is better or worse they are just different and maybe we could all work towards a better world. Unfortunately, I think religion gives people a superior attitude, I know a few catholics with terrible secrets but who still sit there week in and week out feeling smug and judging others Evil or Very Mad

I used to read a lot but have not had time as family has kept me busy but thanks again guys you have got me interested and I will find time.

Hi stardesk Very Happy I do believe in a spirit world but not sure about being able to contact them on demand as much as I would like it to be true. I think by now there would be more evidence. I used to watch Most Haunted on living till I quickly realised they were all just scared of the dark Rolling Eyes

Religion certainly makes people superior and judgmental Sad

If you ever find yourself wondering what to read Molly and a fancy to see the workings of a skeptical atheist mind, I'd recommend these:

The End of Faith, Sam Harris
God is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

Hitchens especially has a brilliant style but is really more an attack on religion. Dawkins book is gripping, I found it hard to put down Very Happy

They are certainly angry books at times but they end on very uplifting notes. Probably not your thing, but like I said, worth a look Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top