Taxi drivers face £1,000 fine for refusing to pick up wheelchair users

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Taxi drivers face £1,000 fine for refusing to pick up wheelchair users

Post by Philagain1 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Taxi drivers who refuse to pick up wheelchair users or attempt to charge more for transporting them could be fined up to £1,000 under new laws tackling discrimination.

The penalties will come into force from 6 April and will oblige taxi and private hire cars to take wheelchair users in their wheelchair if their vehicles are able to, as well as providing appropriate assistance. It will be an offence to charge any additional fare for the service.

The rules will apply across Britain for taxis and private hire vehicles designated as wheelchair accessible – including all black cabs in London and taxis in many other cities.

Drivers discriminating against wheelchair users face fines of up to £1,000 and could lose their licence, unless they have an exemption for medical reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/07/taxi-drivers-face-1000-fine-refusing-pick-up-wheelchair-users

It's disgusting.  Twisted Evil (highlighted on the One Show this evening)

IMO black taxis overcharge anyway (outside of central London i would always use a mini cab firm myself)

I hope that those disabled users make a note of the taxi drivers registration and complain against these greedy barstewards, they will soon buck up their ideas when they have to pay a well deserved fine.
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Re: Taxi drivers face £1,000 fine for refusing to pick up wheelchair users

Post by Philagain1 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Actually, the BBC One Show item was about them charging about £15 on top of the fare to carry a wheelchair!

Greedy cunts! Evil or Very Mad
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top