Why It Is Money Well Spent To Have An Aborist Do A Well Tree Check In WINDY KS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why It Is Money Well Spent To Have An Aborist Do A Well Tree Check In WINDY KS

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed May 17, 2017 2:07 pm

An occasional day of blustery 35mph winds isn't a harmful thing for most trees in KS; but put those trees under the continued sustained high winds of 35mph - 50mph and an extra push during the night for a tornado warning and this is what people are waking up too!

Missed the house but managed to get the owners car and then the next door neighbors as well.  No

And that was 35 miles north of me - no tornado sighted - no funnel clouds - just sustained winds. The tornadoes were west of us 150miles, but we have more expected tonight and tomorrow too.  pale
I've had my trees: 2 huge catalpa's out front - huge elm to the west of my house all 'well checked by a certified arborist' ...a tornado will take them out but not a sustained wind.
I've had the bucket tree trimmer come in and maintain those bad limbs that were rubbing on each other - the limbs that hung over my home - checked after each really bad ice storm; preventative maintenance  - don't need my homeowners insurance getting jacked up!   
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Why It Is Money Well Spent To Have An Aborist Do A Well Tree Check In WINDY KS

Post by Sassy on Wed May 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Jeez, I remember when we had our one and only hurricane, tree coming down like that missed by son by inches. Everyone thought they were safe, he went to college, walked past the tree and it just toppled, smashed a teacher's car who had just got out of it. I'd had a new fence put all the way round our big garden two days before - woke up, no fence!
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Re: Why It Is Money Well Spent To Have An Aborist Do A Well Tree Check In WINDY KS

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Oh, I'm quite the 'TREE HUGGER' ...would have Sequoya Tree's around me in a redwood forest but I'm in KS. 
But I'm also pragmatic and know how fast a ½" of ice and a few days of our KS winds can make a weak branch - weakened spot in a trunk topple over. I've been outside when lightening struck one of my tallest Catalpa Trees ...that lit up sparks a flying around the base where the landscape rocks were - squirrels went a running - it smoldered down inside for a day or 2, but they seal & heal over so quickly!  They grow soft limb but the trunk becomes like concrete as the outer rings expand ...it's still a viable tree.  I do need to get it topped - take off nearly 10' and it will foliage out again and be even with the twin 12' from it.
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm

I think we are very lucky, surrounded by woodland. Of course we don't get the massive trees you do, but round here on of the trees native to this are is the Norfolk Pine, lot of Sandringham Forest is made up of them. They can be very odd shapes.

Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top