Stephen Fry ‘blasphemy’ probe dropped because not enough people were offended

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stephen Fry ‘blasphemy’ probe dropped because not enough people were offended

Post by Philagain1 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:33 am

Stephen Fry cleared of blasphemy charge after police probeIrish authorities last week launched a probe investigating Mr Fry, a gay comic and TV host who is well-known for his atheist views.

A citizen reported the gay celebrity over comments he made on The Meaning of Life, a TV show hosted by Gay Byrne, which initially aired in 2015.

On the show Fry had explained that any God who exists would be “monstrous”, “mean-minded” and an “utter maniac” for allowing suffering in the world.

However, the Irish Independent reports that the probe has been dropped.

A source told the newspaper: “This man was simply a witness and not an injured party. Gardaí were unable to find a substantial number of outraged people.

“For this reason the investigation has been concluded.”

Under Irish law, it is illegal to say anything “grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion, thereby intentionally causing outrage among a substantial number of adherents of that religion”.

However, the lack of outrage left to the case being shelved.

If found guilty, Fry could have faced a fine of €25,000.

The man who made the initial blasphemy complaint also got in touch with the newspaper to deny being a “religious zealot”.

The man, who did not wish to be named, said: ““I simply believed that the comments made by Fry on RTÉ were criminal blasphemy and that I was doing my civic duty by reporting a crime.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/05/08/stephen-fry-blasphemy-probe-dropped-because-not-enough-people-were-offended/

Rolling Eyes  What a religious throwback idiot!

lol! lol! lol!
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Re: Stephen Fry ‘blasphemy’ probe dropped because not enough people were offended

Post by Shady2 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:19 pm

There are too many religious fanatics in the world & too many are anti-gay.

But how do we start to change them from their mind numbing & out of date beliefs?
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Stephen Fry ‘blasphemy’ probe dropped because not enough people were offended

Post by Philagain1 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Laughing
Philagain1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm

I love those Russians. I love you
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Shady2 wrote:There are too many religious fanatics in the world & too many are anti-gay.

But how do we start to change them from their mind numbing & out of date beliefs?
Well said shady.

But your looking at it from a false premise "How do we start" it started a long time ago
Religion per say as been on the decline for decades as we come to understand the world around us.

the west is certainly becoming more secular
unfortunately Islam is a couple of hundred years behind the "modern" world

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful and why ?. without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Deadpool
Established Member

http://marvel.com/universe/Deadpool_(Wade_Wilson)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:There are too many religious fanatics in the world & too many are anti-gay.

Well said shady.

But your looking at it from a false premise "How do we start" it started a long time ago
Religion per say as been on the decline for decades as we come to understand the world around us.

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful and why ?. without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

AHHHHHHHHHH! You've done it now Deadpool.......one doesn't criticize islam on this site.Unless you want to face sanctions.

I've had a post removed today from the Fox hunting thread simply because I mentioned islam in a truthful but negative way.

With regards to this post,I agree with you about religion but at the same time,I believe in live & let live.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

Well said shady.

AHHHHHHHHHH! You've done it now Deadpool.......one doesn't criticize islam on this site.Unless you want to face sanctions.

I've had a post removed today from the Fox hunting thread simply because I mentioned islam in a truthful but negative way.

With regards to this post,I agree with you about religion but at the same time,I believe in live & let live.
Do paranoid much ?
I think i will be ok, but thanks for your concern .
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:
Well said shady.

Do paranoid much ?

You are welcome.

So I take it you are not religious? Have you ever been religious?
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

Well said shady.

live & let live is all very well, till its. do as we say.worship who we say ,ostracize who we say, condemn who we say .we will tell you what to do with your body(especially women)......Kill   who we say

Then its everybody's problem. wether its ,Steven fry`s "anti" religious comments or the percussion of people for there beliefs or lack there of.

The real enemy's are the ones on the dark side of ALL religions who twist the message in there respective Faiths.

Every single one of them is "open" to interpretation and there`s the rub ,It`s the cause of wars,it promotes hate of the other religions.and is the cause of more conflict and hate on this planet than any single thing.

Religious people don`t  believe in 2,999 gods, Other that there own,(except multi deity religions obviously) . I don’t believe in just one more, But if you point out the inconsistency in there religion  ,they go apoplectic, and play the religious percussion card like clockwork and that starts a war.

people believe a lot of things ,
some of them good, some of them bad ,some things we believe are good but turn out to be bad ,and vice versa .

They claim to be dehumanized when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but they  have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt or what ever creation myth the subscribe to .?

People pray to "god" for help all the time and they define 0.01% as a “high success rate” when it comes to answered prayers(chance more like ).  they consider that to be "evidence" that prayer works.  And they think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

What a twat god is then.

The thing is you wont ever see the death of religion ,as i said any holy book we destroyed in a thousand years time wouldn’t come back just as it was.
But something would come back .religions like that ....insidious.

But science, its elegant,its fixed, it has laws ,it attempts to answer fundamental questions of who we are , where we came from , and where we are going.

Ask a question and you can get an answer, it might not be the answer you want, it might challenge your very understanding, of your place in the cosmos. it may just lead as it often does ,to other questions.

Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:

Do paranoid much ?

You are welcome.

So I take it you are not religious? Have you ever been religious?
i was forced to Sunday school as a child. but even then i remember thinking this is stupid ,dead men coming back ,angels,wrath of god,but it was the rainbow story that i gave up and stopped paying any attention and soon after that stopped going .

Ps

And religion has held this planets development back for hundreds of years
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 18, 2017 3:18 pm

We will see the death of religion (as good as damn it) when mankind conquers death itself.

Throw yourself in front of a moving train, if there's no death it's just a thrill ride - no need for gods at Alton Towers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrat. on Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Philagain1 wrote:

Laughing

Excellent!

That's the theme tune to everyone of Didglets posts!
Scrat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Scrat. wrote:
Philagain1 wrote:

Laughing

Excellent!

Yes, wonderful - I've already used it elsewhere. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top