PBS - Victorian Slum House, Could You Live Like This?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PBS - Victorian Slum House, Could You Live Like This?

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 am

Victorian Slum House

PBS  8 hrs ·
Transplanted to an 1860s London slum, Mandy now understands the sacrifices her great-grandparents made for their family. Learn more about our new series Victorian Slum House premiering tonight at 8/7c: http://to.pbs.org/2pxjssQ #VictorianSlumPBS
So ...would you if you could '?' participate in something 'Real Life' situation like this?  I've watched most of these 'Docu-Series' and the real test for our 21st century humans to live the True To Life Style ways that those people did back then, well it's dreary - it's such horrid hard work and the things that they had to sleep on!  Shocked  
If I was younger and in better health, I'd give it a try - even that one about the 'Manor House' ...I thought I'd be able to make it as a scullery maid - but then again; my mind over ability might have been just a pipe dream too!  Suspect
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Re: PBS - Victorian Slum House, Could You Live Like This?

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Watched the first episode last night - BRILLANT.
Cast of characters is interesting and the unique placement in the hierarchy for their job skills and how that placed them within the life situation for the era ...WOW.
The rent collector - Rent Due On Black Monday - single guy - with a furnished one room place with heat/cook stove but he has to do other work for his food. He really is an amputee professional golfer; so he wanted to see what types of appendages he'd be fitted with back then if he was one of the thousands that lost legs during their daily jobs.  THAT WAS SCARY!
Tailor Family - this couple with a boy & girl - tailor in real life; has a 2 room apartment and he's put to work 'RAGGING' ...collecting rags & shoes to repurpose for resale to keep their roof & feed his family.
Shop owners/grocery store/food preparers - Middle age couple - local small Green Farmers - WOW, they are on the top of this rental hierarchy building but their complex/empathic 21st century life style is being tested by the harsh reality of the times and how people were allowed to 'Charge' their most daily basic needs until they had to pay it up weekly. 
Mixed Family - One Room no heat/no cook stove/2 beds: grandparents - mom and 2 girls share this harsh reality of whose able to work - home jobs for the women {making match boxes} and grandpa went out to do a full day of labor with no breakfast - no breaks but earned nearly enough to see to their rent for the week - but couldn't return to his manual labor job the next day.  His wife was the one that wanted to do this show and feel what her ancestors had worked through to survive - nearly ruined her husbands back on his very first day at manual labor, poor guy!
Single Mother - Lowest end of this social structure: 1 room apartment - no heat/no cook stove and 1 bed.  She like all women of the times; can't be seen working out of the home {unless she's turned to prostitution} is trying to manage making shadow boxes at home for a living to survive.  2 meals so far have been given and charged: a slice of bread - enough cheese to cover that bread - a teaspoon of tea - pint jar of milk.

Interesting dichotomy and the stresses of working long hours - seeing your children doing without - the filth - the constant dirt and those looks on those kids faces; whose going to bail and whose going to stick it out. 
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Wed May 03, 2017 4:40 pm

My grandmother and grandfather were brought up in those conditions in the East End of London and her tales of how they survived will be with me for ever. My grandfather and his twin had to leave their parents and live with their grandparents when quite young as there simply wasn't enough room to house them or money to feed them. They were lucky they had grandparents to go to, many children in that position ended up in the workhouse

dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many-they are few.”

Percy Bysshe Shelley  The Masque of Anarchy

"The Labour Party is a moral crusade - or it is nothing " - Harold Wilson
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Sassy wrote:My grandmother and grandfather were brought up in those conditions in the East End of London and her tales of how they survived will be with me for ever.   My grandfather and his twin had to leave their parents and live with their grandparents when quite young as there simply wasn't enough room to house them or money to feed them.   They were lucky they had grandparents to go to, many children in that position ended up in the workhouse

I wasn't aware of all those 'Work At Home' type of jobs that so many women were doing to help feed & shelter their families; WOW - unrealistic quota's but the manufacturing upper echelon were making goodly profits off of those long hours put in by house wives and single mothers and their little ones too!  Twisted Evil
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top