New crack in Antarctic ice shelf with iceberg already 'hanging by a thread'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New crack in Antarctic ice shelf with iceberg already 'hanging by a thread'

Post by Admin on Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

With an area of 5,000 sq km and depth of 350m, the iceberg's calving will "change the landscape of the Antarctic Peninsula".

A new crack has opened in an Antarctic ice shelf where an iceberg a quarter of the size of Wales is already poised to break off, scientists have said.

Last year, a rift in the Larsen C ice shelf grew suddenly by around 18km (11m), leaving the iceberg "hanging by a thread".

The rift has continued to grow this year and is currently 180km (110m) long.

Now, satellite images have shown that a second branch of the rift has opened up.

The new crack is 15km (9m) long, according to researchers from the Swansea University-led Midas project, which has been studying the stability of the ice shelf for three years.

"While the previous rift tip has not advanced, a new branch of the rift has been initiated," said Professor Adrian Luckman of Swansea University College of Science, who heads the monitoring group.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
Admin

http://electricsky.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New crack in Antarctic ice shelf with iceberg already 'hanging by a thread'

Post by Sassy on Tue May 02, 2017 6:28 pm

That's HUGE!!!!!!
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Sassy wrote:That's HUGE!!!!!!
Ooo i say

i have seen this movie .

time to move south
Deadpool
Established Member

http://marvel.com/universe/Deadpool_(Wade_Wilson)

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Tue May 02, 2017 8:26 pm

buy a boat
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm

victorismyhero wrote:buy a boat
I am 400ft above sea level ...you ?
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Tue May 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Well I'm in trouble, when looking at an old map, our garden is in part of a bay at the old sea line (ground very sandy to prove it!). Not good.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Tue May 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Admin wrote:With an area of 5,000 sq km and depth of 350m, the iceberg's calving will "change the landscape of the Antarctic Peninsula".

A new crack has opened in an Antarctic ice shelf where an iceberg a quarter of the size of Wales is already poised to break off, scientists have said.  Last year, a rift in the Larsen C ice shelf grew suddenly by around 18km (11m), leaving the iceberg "hanging by a thread".

The rift has continued to grow this year and is currently 180km (110m) long.  Now, satellite images have shown that a second branch of the rift has opened up.  The new crack is 15km (9m) long, according to researchers from the Swansea University-led Midas project, which has been studying the stability of the ice shelf for three years.

"While the previous rift tip has not advanced, a new branch of the rift has been initiated," said Professor Adrian Luckman of Swansea University College of Science, who heads the monitoring group.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2 things that will keep this at a top priority for me;
a) how close is 'Mara-a-Lago' to becoming beach front property
b) will scuba gear be a 'MUST HAVE' to check in
Other than that ...many of the high tides will be washing into many beach front properties on a regular basis and any eastern blowing hurricanes, like Sandy will be a record event that is going to take down more homes and cause billions of damage!
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Great chunks of ice are always breaking off the ice caps.Nothing much happens except some big splashes & a wave or two.

Been happening for millions of years.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Shady2 wrote:Great chunks of ice are always breaking off the ice caps.Nothing much happens except some big splashes & a wave or two.

Big chunks yes, 180km Shelf`s not so much

As to the consequences, they are a lot bigger than  a few splashes & a "wave or two"
Are you not connected to the sea somehow?  A Ex Sailor or some such thing.?

Surely you know better than this. ?

Or perhaps your a global warming critic .? who does not believe in the theory of man made global warming, and mans effects on climate and the global
environment.

It will desalinate the sea water changing its density ,this changes global currents, and has the potential of changing the path of the gulf stream and other ocean currents.

It will also raise sea level yet further .

The loss of the reflective property's of ice, that reflects some of the suns heat back in to space helping keep our planet cool is lost, thus we get warmer .

And that`s just 3 of the top of my head.

I would refer you to this well known saying.

If all about you are loosing there heads and you are not

Then you obviously don`t understand the situation  pirat .
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Wed May 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:Great chunks of ice are always breaking off the ice caps.Nothing much happens except some big splashes & a wave or two.

As to the consequences, they are a lot bigger than  a few splashes & a "wave or two"

Or perhaps your a global warming critic .? who does not believe in the theory of man made global warming, and mans effects on climate and the global
environment.

It will desalinate the sea water changing its density ,this changes global currents, and has the potential of changing the path of the gulf stream and other ocean currents.

The loss of the reflective property's of ice, that reflects some of the suns heat back in to space helping keep our planet cool is lost, thus we get warmer .

Then you obviously don`t understand the situation
 pirat .

being the good pirate he is, shady's version is somewhat different
to wit

If all about you are loosing their heads and you are not

congratulations...you have the axe Laughing
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

pirat .

to wit

Axe you say .?

well axe sword aka edged weapons

Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 pm

love that clip....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Deadpool wrote:

environment.

Good evening Deadpool.

You can't seriously believe this global warming garbage.I mean it's so 20th century & has been debunked by many people.

It's just another fad,a bit like cultural appropriation,white saviors,white people causing all the bad things in the world,black people cannot be racists,no platforming etc etc.

Politically correct mumbo jumbo.

Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

pirat .

to wit

Or a C8 Carbine.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

Good evening Deadpool.

You can't seriously believe this global warming garbage.I mean it's so 20th century & has been debunked by many people.

It's just another fad,a bit like cultural appropriation,white saviors,white people causing all the bad things in the world,black people cannot be racists,no platforming  etc etc.

They are many things i don`t believe in among them Gods,Unicorns and the tooth fairy .

But they are may things i do Know and that`s the difference between facts and evidence, and the barely understood science that seem to be a trait of
climate change deniers and Rw people in general to one degree or another.

Personally i think this is a genetic deficiency that manifests it self with the inability to grasp concepts bigger than you can manage
And would point to parts of southern America as an example of this phenomenon very RW smaller intertwined gene pool .

While you are correct that many "people" Have an "opinion" they are not necessarily qualified in the respective fields relevant to climate change.

What i also know as well is no amount of facts (from peer reviewed sources) written evidence or scientific paper, will convince you that its not garbage.

your mind is made up

Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 am

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

Good evening Deadpool.
You can't seriously believe this global warming garbage. I mean it's so 20th century & has been debunked by many people.

It's just another fad,a bit like cultural appropriation,white saviors,white people causing all the bad things in the world,black people cannot be racists,no platforming  etc etc.

There have been far greater minds than my wee-little one that have sold their masters degree's for $$$$ to the highest bidder just to say 'There's No Real Science Behind Global Warming!'
And yet, they aren't having any control on what 'Mother Nature' is doing and showing us daily/weekly/monthly with all of our collections points from all those other nations gathering the data and comparing the facts.

So scoff all you want too, all you have is your 'POV', Shady ...and that isn't going to change what is taking place and what the science is showing us!  And despite your 'head in the sand POV' ...our collective action regarding fluorocarbons and auto emissions has made a marked improvement on the hole in the ozone!
Small steps might seem futile to the 'deniers' but it's obviously to the majority; any corrective action is better than NO CORRECTIVE ACTION.  Twisted Evil
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Thu May 04, 2017 10:34 am

Shady bless him, always takes a stance that he thinks is going to wind people up.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

Good evening Deadpool.

They are many things i don`t believe in among them Gods,Unicorns and the tooth fairy .

But they are may things i do Know and that`s the difference between facts and evidence, and the  barely understood science that seem to be a trait of

Personally i think this is a genetic deficiency that manifests it self with the inability to grasp concepts bigger than you can manage
And would point to parts of southern America as an example of this phenomenon very RW smaller intertwined gene pool .

While you are correct that many "people" Have an "opinion" they are not necessarily qualified in the respective fields relevant to climate change.    

What i also  know as well is no amount of facts (from peer reviewed sources) written evidence or scientific paper, will convince you that its not garbage.

your mind is made up

Thanks for your views.I disagree with them but I do respect them.

You might try to extend the same courtesy sometime.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Aspca4ever wrote:
Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

environment.

Good evening Deadpool.
You can't seriously believe this global warming garbage. I mean it's so 20th century & has been debunked by many people.

There have been far greater minds than my wee-little one that have sold their masters degree's for $$$$ to the highest bidder just to say 'There's No Real Science Behind Global Warming!'
And yet, they aren't having any control on what 'Mother Nature' is doing and showing us daily/weekly/monthly with all of our collections points from all those other nations gathering the data and comparing the facts.

So scoff all you want too, all you have is your 'POV', Shady ...and that isn't going to change what is taking place and what the science is showing us!  And despite your 'head in the sand POV' ...our collective action regarding fluorocarbons and auto emissions has made a marked improvement on the hole in the ozone!
Small steps might seem futile to the 'deniers' but it's obviously to the majority; any corrective action is better than NO CORRECTIVE ACTION.  Twisted Evil

Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Thu May 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:

Good evening Deadpool.

But they are may things i do Know and that`s the difference between facts and evidence, and the  barely understood science that seem to be a trait of

What i also  know as well is no amount of facts (from peer reviewed sources) written evidence or scientific paper, will convince you that its not garbage.

your mind is made up

I tend not to respect people who, stand in front of an escape hatch stopping people leaving
Claiming it is fine theirs no problem , and that smoke is always coming out of the cabin and its nothing to worry about ....nothing to see .
while under the floor theirs a bloody great fire.

Climate change  deniers are the equivalent of the apocryphal tail of Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns, or the very true story of the band that kept playing as titanic sank

And you want "respect".? for what exactly ? your views on climate change ?

I am sure you a good guy. i respect that
i am sure you are fairly intelligent and polite . i respect that

i am sure your a good family man and love them very much i respect that .

But don`t ask or indeed expect  me to respect your or anybody's else`s view, That climate change is some global hoax perpetrated by the LW and scientists.

Respect is earned not given

I have over the years posted many scientific papers and information regarding climate change. i have debated  various people at length and one thing became clear.

When you raise a point they cant counter they ignore the question or conflate or more offten they go off on a tangent to avoid answering the question

Most have only a Basic understanding of science and barely understand what a "Green house gas " is, or how molecules in the atmosphere absorb and radiate heat.

The fact that smaller ice sheets at the poles, means less heat reflected back in to space.

They cite conspiracy theory`s  and provide links to these sites to substantiate there claims rather than peer reviewed papers.

I cant respect and wont respect willful ignorance especially at the cost of my gran-kids and great grand kids future .

Perhaps your just very old
My dad was like that he was a smart capable,and rational man he worked all his life

I remember one day we had to call out the TV repair man
our color TV )Rare in thous days),Had broken down.My dad said it was a valve that had gone ,i told him that they don`t have valves anymore (i was 14).
That started a whole argument.

Unfortunately i made the mistake of asking the TV repair man when he came to the house (they did in thous day )
if they had valves, in front of and citing my dads view.

My dad was furious at me and i regretted later.

But that taught me a valuable lesson, some people just don`t want to be wrong, regardless of the mountain of evidence, regardless of the multitude of experts regardless of there own eyes and ears .

Take a look at America and the trump voters
No wall
ACA still law
Tax cuts for the rich
Sexual abuse
nepotism  
Russian influence in the election
Russian optatives in the NSC ffs

ect ect ect

And all the other promises that have been broken to his base
Yet there is a core group of morons who vote and praise trump while at the same time loosing there health care paying higher taxes, facts don`t matter to them  

And that`s what climate change deniers are

Respect........How about some for the planet we live on first
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Thu May 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:

your mind is made up

I tend not to respect people who, stand in front of an escape hatch stopping people leaving
Claiming it is fine theirs no problem , and that smoke is always coming out of the cabin and its nothing to worry about ....nothing to see .

Climate change  deniers are the equivalent of the apocryphal tail of Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns, or the very true story of the band that kept playing as titanic sank

But don`t ask or indeed expect  me to respect your or anybody's else`s view, That climate change is some global hoax perpetrated by the LW and scientists.

I have over the years posted many scientific papers and information regarding climate change. i have debated  various people at length and one thing became clear.

When you raise a point they cant counter they ignore the question or conflate or more offten they go off on a tangent to avoid answering the question

Most have only a Basic understanding of science and barely understand what a "Green house gas " is, or how molecules in the atmosphere absorb and radiate heat.

The fact that smaller ice sheets at the poles, means less heat reflected back in to space.

They cite conspiracy theory`s  and provide links to these sites to substantiate there claims rather than peer reviewed papers.

I cant respect and wont respect willful ignorance especially at the cost of my gran-kids and great grand kids future .

My dad was like that he was a smart capable,and rational man he worked all his life

our color TV )Rare in thous days),Had broken down.My dad said it was a valve that had gone ,i told him that they don`t have valves anymore (i was 14).

Unfortunately i made the mistake of asking the TV repair man when he came to the house (they did in thous day )

But that taught me a valuable lesson, some people just don`t want to be wrong, regardless of the mountain of evidence, regardless of the multitude of experts regardless of there own eyes and ears .

No wall
ACA still law
Tax cuts for the rich
Sexual abuse
nepotism  

ect ect ect

Yet there is a core group of morons who vote and praise trump while at the same time loosing there health care paying higher taxes, facts don`t matter to them  

You seem tense.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:
Shady2 wrote:

No wall
ACA still law
Tax cuts for the rich
Sexual abuse
nepotism  

ect ect ect

You seem tense.
I do?....you seemed smarter confused ,I guess we are both wrong. affraid
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Thu May 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Sorry shady that came across as confrontational that wasn`t my intent.

War weary i guess, the task of repeating information to all the climate deniers over many years takes its toll.
i keep thinking "How do you not know this"stuff

I am not especially academic but  i understand and can see the evidence. I broadly understand the underlying hypothesis.

They can be only one truth.

We ether are, As i and many more qualified people "know" Not "Believe" that man is having a detrimental affect    on out global climate.

Or
As you may, but climate deniers certainly do think.
That  98% of scientists around the world and experts in the field of climate,geology,botany and all the other disciplines that encompass the aspects and indicators of change

Are lying and falsifying data,  In a grand global conspiracy?

You know ....you might be right am sure Neil de-grass Tyson spends his holidays in the arctic with Bill Nye and the other 98% with blow torches melting 180km ice shelf`s just so they can get funding .

Ocums razor.....look it up
The problem is the issue has become political and its politics that dictate what side of the fence you are on, not facts.
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Shady2 wrote:
Aspca4ever wrote:
Shady2 wrote:
Good evening Deadpool.

Well, Shady ...you seem to want to split hairs and I'll follow your lead;
I didn't 'DISREPECT' your POV in the least ...but you clearly stated that "believing in this global warming garbage" Suspect 
So when wanting to have an adult discussion regarding what we all have been reading to stay current within the parameters of the subject matter ...you haven't given anything but your OPINION and I'm providing current articles.

We can all agree that we only have this ONE PLANET to live on and from our human foot print forward right into that grand industrial age ...we've been most neglectful in how we use & abuse this world.  Or we'd not have created the hole in our ozone and have needed to make an immediate change in what & how we were flooding our atmosphere with harmful ingredients. 
Between the arctic warming {work crews having shortened seasons} glacial calving - large & expedient snow & ice melts in Iceland - more extreme hot temperatures and arid areas expanding - drought conditions growing and crops failing/mass starvation spreading globally - our shore lines being consumed by the oceans and what once was a military base is now being reclaimed by the ocean rising! 

Lots of data & stats that just didn't happen over night!  Suspect     
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Fri May 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Deadpool wrote:Sorry shady that came across as confrontational that wasn`t my intent.

War weary i guess, the task of repeating information to all the climate deniers over many years takes its toll.
i keep thinking "How do you not know this"stuff

I am not especially academic but  i understand and can see the evidence. I broadly understand the underlying hypothesis.

They can be only one truth.

We ether are, As i and many more qualified people "know" Not "Believe" that man is having a detrimental affect    on out global climate.

Or
As you may, but climate deniers certainly do think.
That  98% of scientists around the world and experts in the field of climate,geology,botany and all the other disciplines that encompass the aspects and indicators of change

Are lying and falsifying data,  In a grand global conspiracy?

You know ....you might be right am sure Neil de-grass Tyson spends his holidays in the arctic with Bill Nye and the other 98% with blow torches melting 180km ice shelf`s just so they can get funding .

Ocums razor.....look it up
The problem is the issue has become political and its politics that dictate what side of the fence you are on, not facts.

..Sorry shady that came across as confrontational that wasn`t my intent...

Thanks for that Deadpool & it's no problem.

Maybe if I explain in a different way,you may understand why I'm skeptical about the global warming claim.

Over the years I have read numerous arguments for & against climate change etc & the trouble is,there are as many convincing arguments against the theory as there are supporting it.

Articles written by people who obviously understand the myriad of data who rebuke the claims of the global warming believers & who put across sensible non hysterical explanations.

So who am I to believe Deadpool? Now the thing that helps me make my mind up are the many claims of immediate disaster that have failed to materialize,such as this one.

In 1992 I was standing on Naples Beach Florida reading an article in the local paper which was written by someone with loads of letters after his name & on the surface,seemingly well qualified to put his case across.In his article were the words which I remember to this day....'In 10 years time where you are standing will be under the sea'.

A detailed explanation was given,including graphics of how ALL OF FLORIDA would be underwater by 2000 & at the very latest by 2002.In a nutshell this catastrophe would be caused by the melting of the ice caps & all of the rest of it.

Unless you are going to tell me different,this prediction did not materialize. And over here & many years ago Prince Charles said we had 30 years left.

And then there those others who say millions will die in 30,40,50 or 60 years time blah blah blah.

All these dates come & go & we are still here.These are just a few of the reasons why I am skeptical about the climate change claims.

Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top