Scenic Views of my surrounding area - Flint Hills of KS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scenic Views of my surrounding area - Flint Hills of KS

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 pm

What was once the MOPAC {Missouri pacific} RR# line is now the Burlington Northern RR# working it's way through the Flint Hills -
Spring 2016 after the early prairie burns!

Prairie pasture fires burning off last year's dead grasses: weed control and the
ash promotes the tall blue stem to grow and survive.
Chase County lake >

Old stone grist mill, where my MIL grew up; Cedar Point Ks. This is currently being reinforced by a stone mason that has moved into the area and built his own stone home from some native rock.  He's found a passion for saving this historic ole building!

Bison - on the Flint Hills; many ranchers have found a niche for these huge beasts since their beef have less fat and is highly sought by many of the local fine restaurants - it is delicious and tasty.  But takes some getting used to if you like your burgers oozing juices - needs to be mixed/ground with some sausage to make it not so dry.

Teter Rock - just west of my little burg out in the middle of NO WHERE. From this point you can see like 4 ever and a day; storm spotters roll out there when we have tornado warnings in our area - great place to spot funnel clouds forming when the lightening back lights them.  Used to be a helicopter pad for the big oil companies back in the oil boom years of the 50's & 60's.

An anvil cloud rolling across the Flint Hills - so much power wrapped up into those massive thunder heads and then a vortex will form and someone gets hit with a tornado.

Like this ...this is a massive vortex forming into a tornado >

Strawberry Full Moon captured down a long white gravel country road >

Yes, we have frigid winters too, bison bull in early morning winter fog >

Wind chill & ice storms, caught on the first wind generators in rural America >

Yes, we have deer; lots & lots of deer too >
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Scenic Views of my surrounding area - Flint Hills of KS

Post by Sassy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Amazing photos! I remember driving through Texas, nearly from one side to the other. It took us nearly 24 hrs almost non stop and I felt like an ant in that huge expanse.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Sassy wrote:Amazing photos!   I remember driving through Texas, nearly from one side to the other.   It took us nearly 24 hrs almost non stop and I felt like an ant in that huge expanse.

My ole ¾ Ute Indian grand pops {mothers side} used to tell us;
'it's because of those great open plains that ole man winter & mother nature spend so much time fighting for their right to control the weather' ...his story telling always had a moral and that one was why the tornado's seem to hate the plain states!  Suspect
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top