Taiwan passes first law in Asia to ban the eating of cats and dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Taiwan passes first law in Asia to ban the eating of cats and dogs

Post by Deadpool on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

People who are repeatedly found guilty of the consumption of the animals can be fined up to £130,000.

By Philip Whiteside, News Reporter

Taiwan has become the first country in Asia to pass legislation banning the consumption of cats and dogs.

The ban was included as an amendment to animal protection laws and also covers the selling, purchase and possession or dog or cat carcasses.

Taipei had previously banned the sale of dog meat but in 2011 the Taipei Times published claims by activists that slaughterhouses and dog meat restaurants were escaping prosecution.

And a lamb hotpot restaurant was found last year to be serving dog meat to cut costs.

Under the new legislation, anyone found guilty of eating cat or dog meat can be subject to a fine of between NT$50,000 (£1,300) and NT$250,000 (£6,500), according to the China Post newspaper

Offenders also face public shaming and those who repeatedly break the law face fines of up to NT$5m (£130,000).

The eating of dog and cat meat is not unusual in parts of Asia, despite objections from international animal rights campaigners.

Breeders sell live dogs for meat in and around Yulin, in China's Guangxi province annually in June.

Residents in Yulin host small gatherings to consume dog meat and lychees in celebration of the summer solstice.

The new Taiwanese law also includes a clause making it illegal to walk a dog by attaching it to a motor vehicle, the China Post said.

One of the leglislators promoting the law, Chiu Chih-wei said there had been several reports of dogs being injured when forced to run alongside a scooter or car driven by their owners.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I love you I love you I love you cheers cheers cheers

http://news.sky.com/story/taiwan-passes-first-law-in-asia-to-ban-the-eating-of-cats-and-dogs-10834208
Marvellous
Deadpool
Established Member

http://marvel.com/universe/Deadpool_(Wade_Wilson)

Back to top Go down

Re: Taiwan passes first law in Asia to ban the eating of cats and dogs

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm always torn about such stories; we harvest goat/sheep/cattle/horse meat/poultry/fish/buffalo/wild deer/elk/turkey here in America ...some people think that is barbaric too! 
I know some native tribes that have eaten all of the above to keep from starving and including dogs & lizards; people need to eat and an over abundance of canine or feline in any one region will cause problems! 
While the world organizations for better treatment of pets & animals has been very active in changing this food product for those countries ...it does make me wonder, what will those needy/starving substitute in place of dog meat? Suspect  
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady2 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Aspca4ever wrote:I'm always torn about such stories; we harvest goat/sheep/cattle/horse meat/poultry/fish/buffalo/wild deer/elk/turkey here in America ...some people think that is barbaric too! 
I know some native tribes that have eaten all of the above to keep from starving and including dogs & lizards; people need to eat and an over abundance of canine or feline in any one region will cause problems! 
While the world organizations for better treatment of pets & animals has been very active in changing this food product for those countries ...it does make me wonder, what will those needy/starving substitute in place of dog meat? Suspect  

Good post.

People need to eat and that's all there is to it and the problem with many westerners is that they think the rest of the world should be like them.But it just ain't like that and different cultures eat different things.
Shady2
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Aspca4ever wrote:I'm always torn about such stories; we harvest goat/sheep/cattle/horse meat/poultry/fish/buffalo/wild deer/elk/turkey here in America ...some people think that is barbaric too! 
Dogs cats and horses ,i understand why people eat them, and in all honesty it upsets me, but it is not for me to decide what a culture deems a food source.
However ,I support attempts in Asia to move away from the cultural practice.
And to be honest its not that unexpected.
As Asia becomes more "westernised" for the want of a better word, Pet ownership is increasing and along with that comes the empathy. Just the same as happened with our love of pets we once ate dogs just  the same but once we took them in to our homes attitudes changed.

Hopefully this will start a knock on affect with other animals,And i refer mainly to endangered species.
People need to realise.
That for example
Rino horn, is Not a medicine.
And if it does have some magical property's (i highly doubt) they is a 21 century alternative.    

So good on Taiwan
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aspca4ever on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Deadpool wrote:
Dogs cats and horses ,i understand why people eat them, and in all honesty it upsets me, but it is not for me to decide what a culture deems a food source.
As Asia becomes more "westernised" for the want of a better word, Pet ownership is increasing and along with that comes the empathy. Just the same as happened with our love of pets we once did the same but once we took them in to our homes attitudes changed.

Hopefully this will start a knock on affect with other animals,And i refer mainly to endangered spices.
People need to realise.
That for example
And if it does have some magical property's (i highly doubt) they is a 21 century alternative.    

So good on Taiwan
As a life sustaining member of ASPCA {American Society for Protection Cruelty to Animals and a 35 yr member in PETA ...had the Asian market place been able to maintain a higher degree in HUMANE treatment for their canine food source {not skinning those unfortunate dogs alive} and trying to lie & hide their methods this entire debacle would have blown over. 
We still have horrid human/puppy mill/hoarder humans in the USA and those ignorant bastards do so much harm, and only get a meager slap on the wrist for their repetitive abuses through the legal system. No  
Hell even the PETA hidden camera's show Tyson Poultry Farms & their beef packers/massive dairy farms abusing and mistreating thousands of those production animals in the most heinous ways ...and we are 'supposedly above the FDA standards for NOT DOING THAT ANYMORE!' Evil or Very Mad
Aspca4ever
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Deadpool wrote:
As Asia becomes more "westernised" for the want of a better word, Pet ownership is increasing and along with that comes the empathy. Just the same as happened with our love of pets we once ate dogs just  the same but once we took them in to our homes attitudes changed.

Hopefully this will start a knock on affect with other animals,And i refer mainly to endangered species.
People need to realise.
That for example

So good on Taiwan
There's an element of truth in what you say, although at the time of the Roman occupation we were renowned for our hunting dogs, so it's been more than a few millennia since we intentionally ate dogs, I suppose one day we'll grow our meat in a petri dish and the skill of hunting with dogs for meat will be gone.

A sad loss in my eyes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadpool on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Your quite correct.

You may find this interesting.
http://www.ancient.eu/article/184/
Deadpool
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 pm

I couldnt and wouldn't eat cats or dogs, but to be honest it's not the eating that is the problem. Chinese and the Far East eat all kinds of things I wouldn't because historically they have had to survive on very little and there have been many times when food has been scarce, so I understand them turning to all protein sources. It's the fact that they torture them first because they seem to think it makes them taste better. It's heartbreaking.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top