Antisemitism has no place on the left. It is time to confront it Owen Jones

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Antisemitism has no place on the left. It is time to confront it Owen Jones

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Sassy wrote:

I didn't ban him, I simply asked him to abide by one of our few rules that we decided on
He decided to resign

We took this place over to have a forum free from racism against any race, colour or creed and homophobia. Phil had spent all day circumnavigating that with various signatures.  His signature implied that all Christian ministers are homophobic.  That is not only racist against Christians, but because there are many Christian ministers who are gay themselves and actively fight homophobia, he was denigrating gay people.  There is no point starting out with a principle and kissing it goodbye at the first obstacle.  If Catman wants to come back and abide by that rule he's welcome.  I've known him a long time, he likes to test your limits and his boundaries.  I have laid down ours.
Hmmm, laying down or starting out with principles might seem a high minded good idea but it all depends on your interpretation of principles, I'm sure we all have similar and differing principles.

I've always been of the opinion that racism, homophobia and bigotry should be challenged, head on and openly without censor, I agree with you that Phil will test your limits and stretch the boundaries where he can, but his own life experiences might have led him to the opinion that Christians are all homophobic and there might be an element of truth in that, but does that warrant a telling off, should we reprimand him for this, I'm not sure.

I've noticed that some moderators like to flex their muscles early on and stick their ore in just to get noticed, further down the road this could cause trouble.

We both know that certain posters are extremely racist and homophobic, some will attempt to spam the forum with racism, homophobia and bigotry, I'd rather challenge them than silence them, it would be a pity to put this forum in a position where only the principles of the moderators are valid.

You and Irn have provided an excellent platform, I for one am grateful for that, that we might have a home where confrontation simply adds spice to discussions, but I'm not sure you should lock up principles so tightly that some folk fear posting here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks Scrat, but Irn and I were both in agreement. I've watched other forums go downhill when anything is allowed. It's all very well challenging someing, but if it becomes part of the forum that can never be changed. People can discuss anything they like, but they can do it without being racist or homophobic. That's the bottom line. As far as I'm concerned, it's called being a grown up.

As for flexing muscles, I'm not, we are simply laying down the ground rules. Too many forum admins shy off from having their views known and their rules adhered to. I don't think that not accepting racism or homophobia is such a big ask. I also know Catmans background and understand the bullying he has experienced on other forums. He might not realise it at this point, but it called tough love, and the rule was put in place so that the bullying could not go on on this forum. The fact that he didn't realise that is sad, but perhaps if he reads this he might see where I'm coming from.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm

scrat wrote:
Hmmm, laying down or starting out with principles might seem a high minded good idea but it all depends on your interpretation of principles, I'm sure we all have similar and differing principles.

I've always been of the opinion that racism, homophobia and bigotry should be challenged, head on and openly without censor, I agree with you that Phil will test your limits and stretch the boundaries where he can, but his own life experiences might have led him to the opinion that Christians are all homophobic and there might be an element of truth in that, but does that warrant a telling off, should we reprimand him for this, I'm not sure.

I've noticed that some moderators like to flex their muscles early on and stick their ore in just to get noticed, further down the road this could cause trouble.

We both know that certain posters are extremely racist and homophobic, some will attempt to spam the forum with racism, homophobia and bigotry, I'd rather challenge them than silence them, it would be a pity to put this forum in a position where only the principles of the moderators are valid.

You and Irn have provided an excellent platform, I for one am grateful for that, that we might have a home where confrontation simply adds spice to discussions, but I'm not sure you should lock up principles so tightly that some folk fear posting here.

Hi Scrat and thanks for that. Your views are something I have always listened to and respected and you have made some fair points there so I'd like to add to that.

Phil and I go back a long way when we were both one of the first to join the original sky forum and he was just another poster pretty much the same as any other. Phil was one of the most abused posters I have ever seen on a forum and that happened after he revealed a bit about himself and his partner from then it went bad – really bad. Some of the stuff directed at him and his partner was vile and disgusting and although some of us like you stood by him we didn’t have the buttons to try and put a stop to it whilst those that did have the buttons did nothing, in fact they were part of it all. We challenged it but it didn’t stop them because doing so is just water of a ducks back to them. It was outright bullying and it as much as broke the guy and the results of that are pretty much in evidence of what we see now in that he has ended up firing back at anybody sometimes the wrong people. I’d hate to think that I was responsible for overseeing anything like that and I’d gladly show them the door if it came to that

There are only a few basic rules designed mainly to comply with Forumotions terms and conditions regarding appropriate and acceptable content and to stop it descending into a free for all because if we don’t do that we could get shut down

Scrat, we will, as you say challenge the worst of it as we always have done and a ban is really a last resort so let’s see how it goes.
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top