'Defend NHS with all your might', Corbyn urges demonstrators

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Defend NHS with all your might', Corbyn urges demonstrators

Post by Sassy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Tens of thousands protest against further funding cuts to health service and social care at march through central London

Jeremy Corbyn has told tens of thousands of demonstrators to “defend the NHS with all of your might” at a protest march through central London.

Organised to warn that further funding cuts in the health service represent “a real risk to the safety of patients”, the event on Saturday sought to demand a fully and publicly funded NHS and social care services.

The Labour leader said to the crowd in Parliament Square: “The NHS is in crisis, in crisis because of the underfunding in social care and the people not getting the care and support they need.

“There are those waiting on trolleys and those who are desperate to get into an A&E department waiting hours for treatment. It is not the fault of the staff. It is the fault of a government who have made a political choice.”

Corbyn called for the budget to be unveiled by the chancellor, Philip Hammond, on Wednesday to properly fund the health service with an emphasis on social care and mental health services.

Ahead of the demonstration, the Green party spokesman Larry Sanders wrote in the Guardian: “The government tells us there isn’t enough money, but this isn’t true. We are the fifth-richest country in the world – we have the money to stop our health service turning into a humanitarian crisis, and to care for people when they grow old: in hospitals, the community and homes.”

Campaigners, medical staff and members of the public who took part in the march held up homemade banners with slogans including “We want our NHS back” and “The NHS for the needy, not the greedy”.

David Wrigley, a GP from Carnforth, Lancashire, and deputy chair of the British Medical Association council, was among the frontline staff marching under the slogan “Our NHS, No Cuts, No Closures, No Privatisation”.

He said the march was a cry for help because funding cuts had put the NHS in a desperate situation.

“Patients are not getting the care they deserve. We are a country that can afford the funding that is required,” he said.

The campaigners, who say the NHS is at breaking point, hope the march will put pressure on the government ahead of next week’s budget.

Wrigley said: “I guess it is also a wakeup call for Theresa May and the chancellor ... we demand they fund the NHS adequately. If the budget does not bring about any further funding increase, there would be uproar.”

The junior doctor and GP trainee Dr Jeeves Wijesuriya said the demonstration was a chance for the government to plot a new course for the NHS.

Speaking on behalf of the BMA, he told the crowd: “What is sustainable about debts that can only be paid with our patients’ health and yet still won’t be settled? Where is the transformation when the money to build new hospitals and health centres is being siphoned off to pay debts?”

Felix Ramos, 53, of Hackney, east London, said: “Many people are not going to get the help they need ... privatisation does not work. It is not going to care for the vulnerable.”

Support came from the Great British Bake Off presenter Sue Perkins, who tweeted: “Love and support to all those marching for the NHS today.”

Picture at: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/04/nhs-funding-cuts-protest-march-london-jeremy-corbyn

What this Government is being allowed to do to the NHS is terrifying and has to be fought with every weapon at our disposal.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Defend NHS with all your might', Corbyn urges demonstrators

Post by Sassy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:00 pm

To bring home the point:

8 Out Of 10 NHS Hospitals "No Longer Safe" - Hunt Must Go

Figures released today by the governments own Care Quality Commission reveal the extent of the mess caused by 6 years of drastic cuts, shortages of staff, the rapid decline in hospital bed numbers, A&E's in complete meltdown, and privatisation not just quietly sneaking in through the back door but more steamrolling its way through the front door, with billions and billions of pounds of contracts making their way to the private sector.

For example: Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Care won a £700m contract to deliver 200 types of NHS and social care services to more than 200,000 people in Bath and north-east Somerset, sparking renewed fears about private health firms expanding their role in the provision of publicly funded health services.
Yes, New Labour simply got the ball rolling for the Tories. I wont ever argue that point. They got it massively wrong. But this is privatisation with a turbo attached. The scale and pace of private companies’ involvement in the NHS has accelerated rapidly following the introduction of the Health and Social Care Act . After the introduction of the HSC Act, the privatisation list expanded to include GP surgeries and Out of Hours services, urgent care and minor injury units, diagnostic services, maternity care, elective (non-emergency) surgery, community nursing and a range of other community services such as physiotherapy, ambulance services, and prison health. Private companies also became involved in running entire hospitals, including A&E departments.

This is what you get when you elect a Conservative government.

Private sector involvement in the NHS is spreading. And who actually benefits? The patients? Just last year it was reported that there had been a record rise in NHS dissatisfaction levels. The patients aren't benefiting from privatisation. We have seen damning images of pensioners waiting on trolleys in hospital storerooms, infants sleeping on floors in corridors, and the blame for this absolute disaster has to be directed towards Jeremy Hunt and Theresa May.

The only beneficiaries will be the shareholders. The links between private health firms and the Tory Party are somewhat eye watering. Care UK, another winner in a £780million deal, was previously slammed by the Care Quality Commission for the quality of care at two nursing homes it runs in Suffolk. John Nash, a former chairman of Care UK, has, with his wife donated almost £300,000 to the Tory party and was given a peerage by David Cameron.

Google is a powerful tool. This detailed list reveals healthcare links with MPs and Lords. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can see what is going on here. At one point, 1 in 5 Coalition MPs had some sort of links to private health firms.

So we are now in a position where 8 out of hospitals are NO LONGER SAFE. I could be working this out completely wrong. Private sector involvement has increased rapidly, standards have declined rapidly. I'm putting 2 + 2 together, and I think I am coming up with 4.

Its obvious to anyone outside of Downing Street that the NHS needs more funding. The Tories may not want to admit it but NHS spending as a share of GDP is FALLING. You don't have to take my word for it, The Institute For Fiscal Studies are happy to confirm it though.

The Tories were bankrolled by private health in Opposition as they drew up secret plans to put market forces at the heart of the NHS. Once in Government, MPs and peers with links to private health voted it through without a mandate from the public. The mess they have caused is becoming clearer as each set of figures are released.

This simply can't go on. Your local hospital is staffed by brilliant people. They are under unprecedented levels of pressure and deserve a government that will put their (our) money where their mouth is. I think we all know this will never happen under this administration.

Charts on the link: http://rachaelswindon.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/8-out-of-10-nhs-hospitals-no-longer.html?spref=tw

Until the blasted Blairites stop undermining JC and work as hard as he does to defend the NHS, we are fucked.
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 pm

It will probably be the electorate that decided JC's fate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm

The BBC hardly gave coverage at all to the demonstration, GERMAN TV gave it huge coverage:

http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video-265779.html

Corbyn's speech at the rally

Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:03 pm

All very admirable and i agree 100%

You would have to be in power though to deliver. The NHS is high on the list in voters minds, but can JC capitalize on this and turn that into votes?

There might be more by elections where we could gauge the mood of the country?

I firmly believe, and it's right that JC should lead us into the next election.

Failure/annihilation?

David Miliband imo.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top