For those who are curious

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For those who are curious

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 am

I have extracted the following two items from the Pagan federation website, as it explains the origins of my world view, you might also wish to look on their website at www.paganfed.org as it also explains a little about other pagan views. I have often described myself as a shamanic druid....please read through the following ...it may interest you. Type in orange is mine, by way of explanation and comment. type in green is for emphasis

Druidry
What is Druidry?
Many Pagan Druid orders draw their inspiration from Celtic traditions, working with the Gods and Goddesses of the Celtic Pagan past. Some work with whatever spirits are within and around the people they are working with. So when in America, for example, they honour the spirits of that land; when at Wayland's Smithy they might honour the Old Gods of the builders and the Anglo-Saxon Wayland. Also, they might be drawn to particular deities, regardless of tradition or culture, because of their own cultural/spiritual background or because these deities seek them out. (Thanks to Philip Shalcrass of the BDO for this amendment) Druidry stresses the mystery of poetic inspiration and explores healing, divination and sacred mythology. However, not all Druid orders are Pagan. Some are charitable organisations. Others follow particular esoteric teachings not necessarily sympathetic to Pagan beliefs, and some Druid orders are of an artistic or Christian nature.

Following the problems at Stonehenge in 1988, The Council of British Druid Orders was founded as a focus for communication between the various different groups. Some Pagan-sympathetic member orders are: The Glastonbury Order of Druids, which works with the Glastonbury mythos; The London Druid group, founded in 1986 which has associated Celtic and magical groups; and the Druid Clan of Dana, a daughter organisation of the Fellowship of Isis.

The British Druid Order founded in 1979, which is both Pagan and Goddess orientated, and the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, which has both Christian and Pagan members left the CBDO to form the Druid Forum, which meets to discuss issues of relevance to modern Druidry.

A Druid explains:

'Druidry has no book of law, the only lessons being those learnt from nature. There are no gurus and hierarchy is kept to a working minimum. Central to Druidic belief is a love of nature combined with the pragmatic view that spiritual insight should be expressed in daily life. Druidry stresses the importance of working as a part of a group and working as an individual to develop the spiri tual life. Druidry is especially concerned with the ecological crisis faced by the modern world, and works in many ways for the healing of the Earth.'

Druidry represents another branch of the flourishing tree of Pagan spirituality. Druidry grows from strength to strength, answering in its own voice the call of the Divine.

'O knowledgeable lad, whose son are you?'

'I am the son of Poetry
Poetry, son of scrutiny
Scrutiny, son of meditation
Meditation, son of lore
Lore, son of enquiry
Enquiry, son of investigation
Investigation, son of great knowledge
Great knowledge, son of great sense
Great sense, son of understanding
Understanding, son of wisdom
Wisdom, son of the triple Gods of poetry.'

(The Colloquy of the Two Sages- Celtic Traditional)

we have no "book of law"...no bible, and hence no dogma and knowledge and understanding is paramount, thus we find accord with modern science and the scientific method

Shamanism
Modern Shamanism is perhaps the most diverse of all the forms of Pagan practice and is less clearly defined as a tradition than other Pagan paths. Shamanic practices are an underlying aspect of all expressions of Pagan religion and there are those who would describe themselves as Wiccan, Druidic or Women's Mystery Shamans. Bearing this in mind, there are, however, a growing number of men and women who see themselves on a specifically Shamanic path.

Those who see themselves as Shamans place great emphasis upon individual experience. Shamans may sometimes work together in groups, but the ethos of this way of working is more of a solitary path. Shamanic practice is characterized by seeking vision in solitude and is deeply rooted in the mysteries of Nature.

Shamanism is an ecstatic religion with an essential belief in the reality of the spirit world. The Shaman, through training or calling, is one who is able to enter that world and work with the unseen powers. The Shaman acts as an intermediary between the spirit world and the everyday lives of men and women. He or she may also guide others to experience the spirit world for themselves and so deepen their spiritual lives. Through contact with the spirits, the Shaman can work acts of healing, divination and magic - revealing by way of vision, poetry and myth the deeper reaches of the human spirit.

'Shamans are healers, seers, and visionaries. .. they are in communication with the world of gods and spirits. Their bodies can be left behind while they fly to unearthly realms. They are poets and singers. They dance and create works of art. .. they are familiar with cosmic as well as physical geography; the ways of plants, animals, and the elements are known to them. They are psychologists, entertainers, and food finders. Above all, however, shamans are technicians of the sacred and masters of ecstasy.'

Joan Halifax, Shamanic Voices , E P Dutton, NY, 1979.

The Shamanic practice of today ranges from those trained in the paths of traditional societies such as the Native American tribes, to those reconstructing Shamanic practice from historical accounts and from their own experience. Shamanism in its pure form, as practised in tribal society as a part of tribal religion, is less accessible than other Pagan paths, but modern reconstructions are growing in popularity.

as a shamanic druid. spirtuality is the main aim...That and a realisation that morality and ethics are a part of us, not dictated to us by an outside presence

Last edited by victorismyhero on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : insert attribution)
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Re: For those who are curious

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

You may also wish to have a look at the three priciples of the Pagan Federation

http://www.paganfed.org/about-princ.shtml

Especially the part which begins "The second principle of the Pagan Federation puts forward a broadly humanistic approach to ethics which seeks to maximise both individual freedom and personal responsibility. "

It seems to me that this is exactly 180 degrees removed from "mainstream" religious practice...which stifles individual fredom and yet at the same time diminishes personal responsibility via "confession" "forgiveness" and such like...
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:14 am

I am very interested in that Victor and am going to have a look at the links etc, thanks very much for posting all of it, very enlightening x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Fascinating read Victor thanks for that Very Happy

I do like the idea of drawing inspiration from older gods and honouring sacred mythology as it puts it. It shows a great respect for our ancestors as well as the natural world.

It sounds like a very healthy religion actually, not repressive at all, whatsoever and seems to encourage being on with the world around you, so far removed from anything else we hear about sunny

Will look into this rights of token you mentioned in the other thread at some point too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I am impressed with druidry victor I like the spiritual aspect, I will be reading more about it Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:54 pm

I originally posted this on ADS, and whilst It is purely my own "way" of looking at things, and It is actaully true that most pagans do not have a creed per se, I wondered...if we did...how would it look...this is purely a first draught off the top of my head so to speak. I doubt however that too many pagans will disagree with it, though some may argue about the sin aspect...

First Draught of a Pagans’ creed
We believe in one God, the Creator Almighty, Maker of the universe, and of all things known and unknown.

And in one Goddess, the Lady, unnamed, Created by God before all things, beloved of God above all, being of one nature with the Father;

by whom all things made were given love and peace

who for us mortals, and for our aid, intercedes for our prayers, and is revered and respected.

she is there in the quiet places of the world, for those who would listen, and in the hearts and minds of those who judge wisely, and walk with respect in the world. She sits at the right hand of God and does not judge us for our wrong doings.

Therefore God gave us consience and empathy, so that we may know right from wrong And It is for us to wisely judge our own.

We believe the circle of life has no beginning and no end

And, believing in an omnipotent and omniscient Lord and Lady, givers of life, we reject the idea of sin, and of eternal damnation, we reject the idea of a satan, realising that the evil that men do, is within themselves, and that it is the will of our Creator that we should find our own way to maturity by the exercise of wisdom and learning.

We do NOT believe in ONE church for all, realising that many paths follow the same route and that many have their own personal path to follow. We encourage diversity of thought and discriminate against none who come to us in peace and good will.

Blessed be

It should be noted that “the pagans” are a very varied and diverse group, ranging from druids who try to “reconstruct “the “old” ways from what little evidence there is (personally I would think an impossible task) through to those who describe themselves as druids but take what little is known and compare and borrow from existing similar (but not the same) religions, resulting in a sort of shamanistic druid. Some do like wise, but reject some obviously fantastic notions present in the religion they conceive, and follow a path “enlightened “ with scientific knowledge.

Following that path, it is entirely possible to have a belief system that is entirely compatible with even the most modern knowledge, and those who follow this “new” druidism, see no conflict in this. Almost to a man (and woman) they have a deep respect for nature, the world, and most of their fellow men and a deep respect for learning and knowledge, ignorance has no place for the modern shaman-druid.

Then of course there are the “wiccans” who, if it were possible are an even more diverse group, with each coven and individual, following a different, but ultimately compatible path, with slightly different ideas and emphasis. Based mainly on mysticism and occult ideas, they share with druids a respect for nature and mankind, with strict rules of conduct as wiccans, which is not at first sight apparent from their creed “An it harm none, do as ye will” it is only when looked at with wisdom that the severity of that creed comes fully home…

Paganism, contrary to the vile abuse put out by some of our less charitable “competitors” is not a world view for fools. We do not need some hateful, fear creating god to hold US in check, we do not need an imposed burden of “original” or acquired sin to control us, instead we use wisdom and respect to control ourselves, and to enable us to live within the framework of society and its man made laws realising that we all have to work and live for the common good.
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:36 pm

I imagine the main reason mainstream western religion has been so uncharitable towards paganism is purely based on it wishing to impose itself, it's views and laws on everyone andd everything. It is surely largely to do with the rapid secularisation of this country in particular that has allowed Druidism and Paganism to reassert itself in recent times (largest growing religion in Britain according to an article this week).

I welcome it, it sounds truly fulfilling sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top