Abu Qatada

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Abu Qatada

Post by Irn Bru on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Theresa May has worked hard to get this man on a plane and out of the country and instead of being crtical of her efforts, Yvette Cooper should be supporting her efforts.
We need to see a united front from the HoC on this because there are no political points to be scored on this issue.

Just get rid of him - quickly
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Re: Abu Qatada

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

I fully agree with you.
I would say the government should just stick him on a plane and tell the ECHR to do its worst. He can fight his appeal from Jordan without using tax payers money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 pm

In A Flap wrote:I fully agree with you.
I would say the government should just stick him on a plane and tell the ECHR to do its worst. He can fight his appeal from Jordan without using tax payers money.

That would be great but hir reps would get a court order from a British court to stop that. And it would involve others at the front line agencies etc. in breaking the law so I can't see it happening.
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 pm

he can fight it from jordan where it dopes not cost the british taxpayer legal aid.
The ECHR is mainly toothless when it comes to cases like these. the only power it holds is what countries allow it. Others that have gone against its decisions have received a stiffly worded letter or a fine.

As he is being deported he certainly should not be entitled to UK taxpayers money to fight the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 pm

In A Flap wrote:he can fight it from jordan where it dopes not cost the british taxpayer legal aid.
The ECHR is mainly toothless when it comes to cases like these. the only power it holds is what countries allow it. Others that have gone against its decisions have received a stiffly worded letter or a fine.

As he is being deported he certainly should not be entitled to UK taxpayers money to fight the case.

I'm not disagreeing with your point of view but it is not possible to ignore a court order issued by a British court without involving a whole host of people who would be seen to be breaking the law. The government know this and that's why their hands are tied. He'll go in a while, we just need to wait a little longer when we can cheer hom off the premises.

I'm not aware of what happened when any other country ignored their courts or the ECHR courts in a case like this. Do you have any examples of these?
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top