London elections: Boris Johnson publishes tax record

View previous topic View next topic Go down

London elections: Boris Johnson publishes tax record

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:54 pm

London Mayor Boris Johnson has published his tax record, after a row with his Labour rival over earnings.

Mr Johnson's accountant's letter showed he paid £210,410 in income tax 2010-11 and had a taxable income of £473,280.

Each candidate had accused the other of avoiding tax payments, during a heated live radio debate this week.

It prompted a pledge during a BBC Newsnight debate to make public their tax records. Mr Livingstone said he would publish his full accounts soon.

Mr Johnson said: "Last night every candidate gave an unequivocal promise on national TV to release all their earnings, whether through a company or not, and all the income tax they paid on all those earnings.

"I have done that today and I would expect, and am sure Londoners would also expect, all candidates to keep their promises."

Mr Johnson told BBC presenter Jeremy Paxman he would not apologise to his Labour rival for calling him a liar in a lift after the LBC radio debate.

Boris Johnson refused to apologise for calling Ken Livingstone a liar

But Green Party mayoral candidate Jenny Jones said: "Why don't we end this by everybody just publishing what they earn and then what they pay in tax?"

All the candidates taking part agreed and the mayor has now published his tax record from the past year.

But Mr Livingstone said the pledge was for full accounts from the past four years to be published.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

I didn't know whether to prevent a breach of the peace or arrest you for threatening behaviour in that lift”
Brian Paddick
Liberal Democrat candidate

He added: "I will lodge the details for the last four years with an independent body or individual, to be published simultaneously when all four main candidates have provided them.

"I will set out income to my company over the last four years, how much my wife and I received and how much tax was paid.

"Full household income and tax must be released by all candidates because the question of the overall household income and tax has continuously been the subject."

The radio clash followed weeks of claims that Mr Livingstone was paid via a company, Silveta Ltd, so he was only liable for corporation tax at 20%, rather than paying full income tax.

But Mr Livingstone said his rival had used "the same arrangement" when an MP, which prompted the Conservative candidate to call him a "bare-faced liar".

Liberal Democrat candidate Brian Paddick, a former Metropolitan Police officer who witnessed the the clash in the lift, joked: "I didn't know whether to prevent a breach of the peace or arrest you [Boris Johnson] for threatening behaviour in that lift."

The London mayoral and assembly elections take place on 3 May.

Will matey follow suit?? Suspect Suspect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17622189

Back to top Go down

Re: London elections: Boris Johnson publishes tax record

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 pm

How does ken only manage to pay 14.5% income tax?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Because he is a lying hypocritical bastard perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top