A Poll- Left or Right?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where are You?

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
32% 32% 
[ 6 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
16% 16% 
[ 3 ]
16% 16% 
[ 3 ]
26% 26% 
[ 5 ]
10% 10% 
[ 2 ]
 
Total Votes : 19

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Haha! Ta TTS Smile It's still one sided though Suspect

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 pm

eilzel wrote:Haha! Ta TTS Smile It's still one sided though Suspect

Good evening Eilzel.

I've not voted yet but do you accept votes from psychopaths? If not,why not? As we do have rights you know pirat

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I have no idea as i do not think tory are doing a good job but i honestly think labour would not be doing much better.
I am scottish so that kinda blows the vote, we love our SNP Cool

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Eve, don't think Labour and Tories are your only choice of right and left. Labour were more centrist anyway imo.

So you know- SNP are quite a progressive LW party Smile

Alex Salmond is still a prick though Neutral



ShadY, sociopaths have rights, as long as they are Lw sopciopaths- so do the right thing my friend Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Moderate right. I believe some social programs are good, but my situation is as different as my countries government set up. OUr constitution definitively separates what responsibilities the states have and the federal government have. Big federal government causes nothing but misery and hard times in the U.S.

The individual states have the responsibility of seeing to their residents. The federal government is in charge of our defense, and collecting taxes. If we went back to constitutional governing, we would all be a lot happier.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 pm

I can understand why countries that are going broke have concerns about the fiscal cost of socialism, but surely those who are making plenty of money can afford to be generous toward their own citizens.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

justanAmericangal wrote:Moderate right. I believe some social programs are good, but my situation is as different as my countries government set up. OUr constitution definitively separates what responsibilities the states have and the federal government have. Big federal government causes nothing but misery and hard times in the U.S.

The individual states have the responsibility of seeing to their residents. The federal government is in charge of our defense, and collecting taxes. If we went back to constitutional governing, we would all be a lot happier.

Aren't all Texans supposed to be gun toting, pick-up driving, red-necks? Question lol! sunny

Nice to see you've found us here and welcome to the site! sunny

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:51 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

Aren't all Texans supposed to be gun toting, pick-up driving, red-necks? Question lol! sunny

Nice to see you've found us here and welcome to the site! sunny

lol!

Thanks, Mr. D!

To answer your question, you got 1 out of the 3 correct. Wink Hubby drives the truck, and I don't think I qualify as a redneck - let's see... :

http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

justanAmericangal wrote:

lol!

Thanks, Mr. D!

To answer your question, you got 1 out of the 3 correct. Wink Hubby drives the truck, and I don't think I qualify as a redneck - let's see... :

http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html


You think the last words to
The Star Spangled Banner are
"Gentlemen, start your engines."

Brilliant! lol!

BTW, I'm one of the few Brits I know, that actually "get's" NASCAR! sunny







Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 pm

John wrote:I can understand why countries that are going broke have concerns about the fiscal cost of socialism, but surely those who are making plenty of money can afford to be generous toward their own citizens.

A man after my own heart John cheers

Also big welcome to Americangirl sunny


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 pm

MrDoodles wrote:

You think the last words to
The Star Spangled Banner are
"Gentlemen, start your engines."

Brilliant! lol!

BTW, I'm one of the few Brits I know, that actually "get's" NASCAR! sunny


I'm glad you like NASCAR Doodles - I'll make you an honorary redneck. Smile

The funniest one to me was you might be a redneck if a quarterhorse means a ride in front of the Walmart. I know this is a lot of American culture. Basically, back when I was a kid, there were mechanical horses for children outside of grocery stores that cost a quarter for a short ride. I don't know if you had those over there. They are pretty much gone now, but I still remember begging my mum for a quarter every time we went grocery shopping. And it's also a generational thing! They haven't been around for years, only Baby Boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) know what a mechanical horse was.

Laughing

And thank you for the welcome, Eli. It does mean a lot to me..... sunny

Yikes! It's "quitting time".. tty everyone tomorrow. Smile




Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

justanAmericangal wrote:

I'm glad you like NASCAR Doodles - I'll make you an honorary redneck.


Thanks for that, however, I'm not sure I can afford to run a Jimmy over here, what with Gas about to hit £6 ($9.75) a gallon! affraid Sad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

BUMPED! For new comers Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Well I took DeBunkers test and I was very left wing, but I don't think I am on some things. Then again, I might be extreme left on others.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Just seen this as I staggered onto this veritable oasis of calm and reason after a quick look at 'the other place' lol As I mentioned in passing to Mr Doodles, there's actually quite an interesting debate to be had on the merits of anarchy as a political/social organiser by comparing a totally unmoderated arena like a diff sky, and one that runs on a system of enlightened moderation like this one is hopefully shaping up to be. Might start a thread on it if I get the chance...Smile

Anyway politcal stance- I voted moderate left which as a life long socialist probably best sums up my position, although I have like most ordinary people, at times waivered either way to a degree, which involved me being one of 'those commie bastards' in my younger days, which however didn't prevent me slipping seemlessly into being an 80s London yuppie and being a slave to Big Business for the next 15 or so years.

I read the Communist Manifesto in my early twenties and decided then that this was the only truly sustainable, viable, enlightened way for human society to organise itself, and having read it numerous times since then, still do.

I still recognise though it's more theory than hard practicality and is more of a 'scacred text' for want of a better word, to base one's political beliefs in rather than trying to achieve a literal 'happening' of it, much like reasonable religious people base their lives on, say the Bible, but find it impossible [and impracticable] to live by all of its strictures.

That doesn't mean I am or ever have been a Marxist- in fact I have a bit of a distain for classic Marxists who I see as aloof fatalists and if there are any Marxists on here reading this, I'd be happy to have a [friendly!] discussion with you about the thoughts of good old Karl Very Happy

Nor at the other extreme do I have a downer on capitalism; I'm passionately against the current mode of capitalism though, as I believe capitalism left to it's own devices is like a rabid dog that given the chance will attack and consume everything, and when everything has gone, it will consume itself.

So I believe in order to get the most out of capitalism, it should be caged, which of course doesn't mean it can't live comfortablly and be well fed. Capitalism should be used for the benefit of all in society, not just for the sole benefit of itself- a bit like a police dog if you like lol

Which brings this over long post to a neat conclusion I suppose- I see myself as a socialist [a bit of quaint term these days isn't it- I meet people and can sense them whispering behind their palms...thats Skemster, he's a socialist you know] which is essentially about believing in an egalitarian society, where regardless of class, sex/sexual orientation, race or creed all people in society have not just equality of opportunity, but an equality in terms of mutual respect.

Recognising there are differing abilities in any given human society, I believe that society should be run as a collective, inter-dependent group of individuals working for the good of all in the community, rather than the social darwinist driver of the libertarian right which believes in rampant individualism, the survival of the fittest and the 'winner' takes all.

To that end capitalism is a very useful tool to run an economy, but it should be harnessed through regulation both to make it run more efficiently itself, as well as benefiting the whole of society, rather than just an elite, and [reasonable] methods of wealth redistribution have to be used when necessary to achieve that.

By that score my biggest issues are with the libertarian right, rather than the nationalist right, which is a whole different kettle of fish and although in parts unsavoury, is actually no where near as dangerous an ideology in the 21st century as libertarianism.

Anyway rambling too much now....time for a nice cup of free trade herbal tea whilst listening to some soviet marching songs lol
[/color]

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Skemster wrote:Just seen this as I staggered onto this veritable oasis of calm and reason after a quick look at 'the other place' lol As I mentioned in passing to Mr Doodles, there's actually quite an interesting debate to be had on the merits of anarchy as a political/social organiser by comparing a totally unmoderated arena like a diff sky, and one that runs on a system of enlightened moderation like this one is hopefully shaping up to be. Might start a thread on it if I get the chance...Smile

Anyway politcal stance- I voted moderate left which as a life long socialist probably best sums up my position, although I have like most ordinary people, at times waivered either way to a degree, which involved me being one of 'those commie bastards' in my younger days, which however didn't prevent me slipping seemlessly into being an 80s London yuppie and being a slave to Big Business for the next 15 or so years.

I read the Communist Manifesto in my early twenties and decided then that this was the only truly sustainable, viable, enlightened way for human society to organise itself, and having read it numerous times since then, still do.

I still recognise though it's more theory than hard practicality and is more of a 'scacred text' for want of a better word, to base one's political beliefs in rather than trying to achieve a literal 'happening' of it, much like reasonable religious people base their lives on, say the Bible, but find it impossible [and impracticable] to live by all of its strictures.

That doesn't mean I am or ever have been a Marxist- in fact I have a bit of a distain for classic Marxists who I see as aloof fatalists and if there are any Marxists on here reading this, I'd be happy to have a [friendly!] discussion with you about the thoughts of good old Karl Very Happy

Nor at the other extreme do I have a downer on capitalism; I'm passionately against the current mode of capitalism though, as I believe capitalism left to it's own devices is like a rabid dog that given the chance will attack and consume everything, and when everything has gone, it will consume itself.

So I believe in order to get the most out of capitalism, it should be caged, which of course doesn't mean it can't live comfortablly and be well fed. Capitalism should be used for the benefit of all in society, not just for the sole benefit of itself- a bit like a police dog if you like lol

Which brings this over long post to a neat conclusion I suppose- I see myself as a socialist [a bit of quaint term these days isn't it- I meet people and can sense them whispering behind their palms...thats Skemster, he's a socialist you know] which is essentially about believing in an egalitarian society, where regardless of class, sex/sexual orientation, race or creed all people in society have not just equality of opportunity, but an equality in terms of mutual respect.

Recognising there are differing abilities in any given human society, I believe that society should be run as a collective, inter-dependent group of individuals working for the good of all in the community, rather than the social darwinist driver of the libertarian right which believes in rampant individualism, the survival of the fittest and the 'winner' takes all.

To that end capitalism is a very useful tool to run an economy, but it should be harnessed through regulation both to make it run more efficiently itself, as well as benefiting the whole of society, rather than just an elite, and [reasonable] methods of wealth redistribution have to be used when necessary to achieve that.

By that score my biggest issues are with the libertarian right, rather than the nationalist right, which is a whole different kettle of fish and although in parts unsavoury, is actually no where near as dangerous an ideology in the 21st century as libertarianism.

Anyway rambling too much now....time for a nice cup of free trade herbal tea whilst listening to some soviet marching songs lol
[/color]

Skemster, you may be a Lefty mate, but I have never come across a more eloquent or thoughtful poster on the web! Evil or Very Mad

So welcome to the "Sane" Forum! Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Skemster, great post, I have actually just read Marx Communist Manifesto. It is a bit dated and that translates to some of the ideas. His ideas on ownership and the 'bourgeouis' dictating society are still true today though, sadly.

I look forward to a thread by yourself here; in this 'Veritable Oasis of Calm' as you so elegantly put it Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 am

Skemster wrote:Just seen this as I staggered onto this veritable oasis of calm and reason after a quick look at 'the other place' lol As I mentioned in passing to Mr Doodles, there's actually quite an interesting debate to be had on the merits of anarchy as a political/social organiser by comparing a totally unmoderated arena like a diff sky, and one that runs on a system of enlightened moderation like this one is hopefully shaping up to be. Might start a thread on it if I get the chance...Smile

Anyway politcal stance- I voted moderate left which as a life long socialist probably best sums up my position, although I have like most ordinary people, at times waivered either way to a degree, which involved me being one of 'those commie bastards' in my younger days, which however didn't prevent me slipping seemlessly into being an 80s London yuppie and being a slave to Big Business for the next 15 or so years.

I read the Communist Manifesto in my early twenties and decided then that this was the only truly sustainable, viable, enlightened way for human society to organise itself, and having read it numerous times since then, still do.

I still recognise though it's more theory than hard practicality and is more of a 'scacred text' for want of a better word, to base one's political beliefs in rather than trying to achieve a literal 'happening' of it, much like reasonable religious people base their lives on, say the Bible, but find it impossible [and impracticable] to live by all of its strictures.

That doesn't mean I am or ever have been a Marxist- in fact I have a bit of a distain for classic Marxists who I see as aloof fatalists and if there are any Marxists on here reading this, I'd be happy to have a [friendly!] discussion with you about the thoughts of good old Karl Very Happy

Nor at the other extreme do I have a downer on capitalism; I'm passionately against the current mode of capitalism though, as I believe capitalism left to it's own devices is like a rabid dog that given the chance will attack and consume everything, and when everything has gone, it will consume itself.

So I believe in order to get the most out of capitalism, it should be caged, which of course doesn't mean it can't live comfortablly and be well fed. Capitalism should be used for the benefit of all in society, not just for the sole benefit of itself- a bit like a police dog if you like lol

Which brings this over long post to a neat conclusion I suppose- I see myself as a socialist [a bit of quaint term these days isn't it- I meet people and can sense them whispering behind their palms...thats Skemster, he's a socialist you know] which is essentially about believing in an egalitarian society, where regardless of class, sex/sexual orientation, race or creed all people in society have not just equality of opportunity, but an equality in terms of mutual respect.

Recognising there are differing abilities in any given human society, I believe that society should be run as a collective, inter-dependent group of individuals working for the good of all in the community, rather than the social darwinist driver of the libertarian right which believes in rampant individualism, the survival of the fittest and the 'winner' takes all.

To that end capitalism is a very useful tool to run an economy, but it should be harnessed through regulation both to make it run more efficiently itself, as well as benefiting the whole of society, rather than just an elite, and [reasonable] methods of wealth redistribution have to be used when necessary to achieve that.

By that score my biggest issues are with the libertarian right, rather than the nationalist right, which is a whole different kettle of fish and although in parts unsavoury, is actually no where near as dangerous an ideology in the 21st century as libertarianism.

Anyway rambling too much now....time for a nice cup of free trade herbal tea whilst listening to some soviet marching songs lol
[/color]

Just read your post and all I can say is yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!

In theory communism is right, in practice it does not take account of human fallability. In my younger days my dad, slightly to the right of Ghengis Khan bless him, although he has mellowed with age, used to refer to me as 'the Red under the Bed'. Socialist I am, Labour I am not! It makes life very difficult and I end up voting Liberal, but now they are no longer Liberal, whats a girl to do!!! pale

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by SEXY MAMA on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 pm

I think im a centerist! Very Happy

avatar
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1163
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: A Poll- Left or Right?

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:I think im a centerist! Very Happy


No way are you centrist Sexy, I always had you down as solid LW!

Just goes to show yah Rolling Eyes

Hi btw x Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum