END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 am

BANK customers face being charged every time they take money from a cashpoint, it emerged last night.

The future of free banking is in doubt over plans to pass on higher regulatory costs to customers.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/309236/End-of-free-cashpoints


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 am

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Well that applies to cash machines. The banks dont provide them free they charge in other ways. At least this is transparent.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am

I can see the logic in what they are proposing. However if I am to be charged for taking my money from a cash point machine and Not being charged to withdraw money at the counter inside the bank, human nature means that I and other people will favour going into the bank. The proposal is reverse logic, it will cost the bank more to provide the staff to service the demands of customers in the banks than it does operating the cash point machines.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:31 pm

It gives them a chance to sell you something. Cash machines are just a cost with little addedvalue from the banks perspective.

I might add i often use cash machines from other banks.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Drinky wrote:It gives them a chance to sell you something. Cash machines are just a cost with little addedvalue from the banks perspective.

I might add i often use cash machines from other banks.
eh they sell loads of stuff

really you lot make me sick
the banks caused a global financial collapse.still pay out huge bonuses to there executives.ect ect

And your ok with them charging to use a machine to take your own money out of the bank No


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Er yes actually. The reason is cash machines are expensive to buy and service and I would.prefer the costs to be transparent.
P
Now are you socialist so lacking on understanding that you think they are really free.

What is your suggestion. Carry on pretendingvit doesn'tvreally cost AMD get others to pay on extra bank charges?

I take it when someone provides a.service you don't expect to pay. Of course you do the banks are merely changing the charging regime. I might add cash is no longer king AMD most transactions are debit card these days.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 am

Drinky wrote:Er yes actually. The reason is cash machines are expensive to buy and service and I would.prefer the costs to be transparent.
P
Now are you socialist so lacking on understanding that you think they are really free.

What is your suggestion. Carry on pretendingvit doesn'tvreally cost AMD get others to pay on extra bank charges?

I take it when someone provides a.service you don't expect to pay. Of course you do the banks are merely changing the charging regime. I might add cash is no longer king AMD most transactions are debit card these days.
i gave you thanks because its the typical RW response "i am so lacking understanding"


drinky shoots
he............ well no he dosn`t score actually

you might only use debit card transactions but cash withdrawals can exceed £10 billion per month ..... thats 10 BILLION A MONTH
http://www.link.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx


And ATM saves the bank money as less staff are actually needed in the bank to cope with the £10 billion per month cash withdrawals so less paid in wages and training
no wonder they get big bonuses

so no they can screw the charges
the charges they do make go towards rent, rates , It equipment .heating lighting ,uniforms.advertising and sill they make huge profits
so forgive me if i don`t want to lie down and let your friends the bankers squeeze every little drop of blood out of the country

when some one provides a service i dont expect the to stick on extra charges

its like a window cleaner charging me to fill up his bucket from my own bloody tap


your having a lafffff

ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). In some cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. Many people oppose these fees because ATMs are actually less costly for banks than withdrawals from human tellers.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_usage_fees


you might be interested in this
http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/01/visa-mastercard-fight-allegations-of-atm-fee-conspiracy.html




Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

I take it an atm costs nothing in a socialist mind set then. I shall repeat my point.

Of course they cost something the equipment alone is very expensive. Currently thecosts are absorbed and charged in general bank charges. I didnt say i like charges but i do like clarity. If it costs x per transaction to amortise the costs of the machine and they charge x then what is wrong with that.

If you dont want to pay banks dont use them. I am sanguine about paying the going rate yiu Socialist are happy to let others pay is that your point?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am

Drinky wrote:I take it an atm costs nothing in a socialist mind set then. I shall repeat my point.

Of course they cost something the equipment alone is very expensive. Currently thecosts are absorbed and charged in general bank charges. I didnt say i like charges but i do like clarity. If it costs x per transaction to amortise the costs of the machine and they charge x then what is wrong with that.

If you dont want to pay banks dont use them. I am sanguine about paying the going rate yiu Socialist are happy to let others pay is that your point?
next approach call me a socialist ....well yes i am i am not ashamed or worried by that very obvious fact

but this has nothing to do with my politics unlike you are trying to a-cert

but i noticed you did not mention these bonuses i mentioned
And considering the amount of money they get as bonuses for failure
i think asking for free ATMs for customers is reasonable and the bloody least they could do because if it was not for the use of PUBLIC money to bale them out they would have been further up shit creek than they were

yes so forgive me if i don`t rush to put any more of my money in their pockets
greedy swindling bastards that they are

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

At least we agree on this point TTS Where you say :- "ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). In some cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. Many people oppose these fees because ATMs are actually less costly for banks than withdrawals from human tellers". End Quote ----- As you will note from my previous post I stated exactly the same point. Surely that is reason enough to encourage the public to continue using the ATM's by making them free for the customers of that particular bank or group, rather than to supply more staff within the bank building. On economic grounds alone it is the sensible approach.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 am

fred bloggs wrote:At least we agree on this point TTS Where you say :- "ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). In some cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. Many people oppose these fees because ATMs are actually less costly for banks than withdrawals from human tellers". End Quote ----- As you will note from my previous post I stated exactly the same point. Surely that is reason enough to encourage the public to continue using the ATM's by making them free for the customers of that particular bank or group, rather than to supply more staff within the bank building. On economic grounds alone it is the sensible approach.

on economic grounds it would be sensible for the private sector (ie banks) to employ a few more people as George Osbourn said would happen
instead of trying to screw more money out of us for using a bloody robot that doesn`t pay tax take holidays ,sick leave, works 24/7 no mater how many customers it services

ps thanks

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am

Most bank staff have to sell products if they are customer facing. I know this as my sisters are all in banks. A robot cantvdo many of the tasks a person can.

Atms aren't freebto provide therefore if they charge usbthe actual cost what isvthe problem.

On a more general point year on yearvwe use less cash. As new technologies emerge alreadv developed btw we shall no longer need cash. Eg smart phones topped upvwitj cash to pay for your newspaper latte etc.

I accept your point that generally institutions automate to save money but you are not taking on board the wider aspects of banking products on which they really make money.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Drinky wrote:Most bank staff have to sell products if they are customer facing. I know this as my sisters are all in banks. A robot cantvdo many of the tasks a person can.

Atms aren't freebto provide therefore if they charge usbthe actual cost what isvthe problem.

On a more general point year on yearvwe use less cash. As new technologies emerge alreadv developed btw we shall no longer need cash. Eg smart phones topped upvwitj cash to pay for your newspaper latte etc.

I accept your point that generally institutions automate to save money but you are not taking on board the wider aspects of banking products on which they really make money.
Most bank staff have to sell products if they are customer facing....almost correct ( i am possibly being pedantic)

Most bank staff have to Offer products if they are customer facing or even over the phone and although they do have selling targets to meet (my best friend works for sainsburys in a call centre)all they can do is offer
funny thing is an ATM does almost exactly the same ever noticed the banking products advertised
when you pass or use them....... same thing

And i respectfully disagree about the need for cash dying out i doubt it will happen in your life time or your kids, kids ,kids, kids,personally i hope by then the need to have actually money of any-kind is a antiquated novelty

when the banks charge £35 for a returned DD of £3 pound (yes it happened to a friend of mine this week)
i think charging for using an ATM is just the banks taking the piss out of us again

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Actually tts i really do believe that cash is obsolescant altough i accept it is far from obsolete.

The uk is at the forefront of ecommerce accrding to a recent report. I carry around £50 to£100 around on me but i find i am only using that cash on a friday night down the pub.

At nearly all other times i use my debit card. I carry my smart phone at all times and when there is a cash app that is in general use i shall use it. Given you are a technophile i bet you will to.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Drinky wrote:Actually tts i really do believe that cash is obsolescant altough i accept it is far from obsolete.

The uk is at the forefront of ecommerce accrding to a recent report. I carry around £50 to£100 around on me but i find i am only using that cash on a friday night down the pub.

At nearly all other times i use my debit card. I carry my smart phone at all times and when there is a cash app that is in general use i shall use it. Given you are a technophile i bet you will to.

lol.. As a technophile i think and do prefer cash , i don`t ...would never use a smart phone to pay for anything ,i have a credit card linked to papal and use pay pal for online purchases i never buy on the internet using my credit card directly
i do use my debit but i do actually draw cash out of the wall more often but All ways check to see if a skimmer is attached

i am very security conscious i know how easy it is for all these thing to be hacked and am uber careful how i use them


you cant hack cash

And if you think about it people will not want to give up cash
cash is anonymous
would you be happy knowing that company's and government can track every little thing you buy and at any given moment they can tell you exactly how much money you have in your pocket

no not me
cash will always be around









Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:47 pm

TTS Your post started to look interesting until I read that you regularly used PAYPAL !!!!!. I disposed of my paypal account years ago when security breeches were widely reported. I have never seen anything in the technical press to reassure me that those breeches have been secured. I would advise extreme caution with that method of payment. -- Fred

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:53 pm

You can get mugged for cash though. It isnt safe to leave piles if cash around either why else would you bank given you hate them that much. I have made a quick assesment f my outgoings and find that less than 5% is in cash.

If i started to pay for my friday nights using my debit card ut would be less than 2% maybe that us why i am so sanguine.

Whilst cash will still be around for some time to come its use will diminish dramatically. You only need look at the virtually obsolete cheque which s only around because we have a hard core of luddites.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Drinky wrote:You can get mugged for cash though. It isnt safe to leave piles if cash around either why else would you bank given you hate them that much. I have made a quick assesment f my outgoings and find that less than 5% is in cash.

If i started to pay for my friday nights using my debit card ut would be less than 2% maybe that us why i am so sanguine.

Whilst cash will still be around for some time to come its use will diminish dramatically. You only need look at the virtually obsolete cheque which s only around because we have a hard core of luddites.
indeed and look what happened when they tried to discontinue cheque`s
that kind of illustrates my point ...thanks

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm

fred bloggs wrote:TTS Your post started to look interesting until I read that you regularly used PAYPAL !!!!!. I disposed of my paypal account years ago when security breeches were widely reported. I have never seen anything in the technical press to reassure me that those breeches have been secured. I would advise extreme caution with that method of payment. -- Fred
i have used pay pal for a few years now and after some initial problems i was given an electronic key that generates a random code linked to my account

And i have had no concerns over it over it since

and when i did have a problem with a couple of sellers pay pal was excellent
they quickly refunded my money

but thanks for your concern

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 pm

can't hack cash lol!

no but you can counterfeit it, steal it or lose it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm

The cheque is only around becauae the older generations still use it. I can go all year without using a cheque.

I havent the figures to hand but it is obsolete mate as will one day be cash. I hadn,t got down as a luddite tts you have surprised me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Drinky wrote:The cheque is only around becauae the older generations still use it. I can go all year without using a cheque.

I havent the figures to hand but it is obsolete mate as will one day be cash. I hadn,t got down as a luddite tts you have surprised me.
What can i say i am just a old fashion guy in that respect
And yes your probably correct the cheque will eventually disappear i have no doubt however i think that the use of cash is not so vulnerable
milkman,window cleaners,charitys, the church begging bowl are just some examples of why cash will all ways be in circulation
not to mention my hash dealer who doesn't have a account i can pay in to Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: END OF FREE CASHPOINTS

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 am

Interestingly enough many examples above are bastions of tax avoidance. Cash jobs etc. One interest a govt may have in electronic money is to control the black economy.

Being honest I accept cash will not die out in my lifetime though unless I die early cheques most certainly will. However the writing is on the wall emerging technologies will render cash obsolete at least for new generations. Cash is an expensive business the printing and circulation of notes, currency fraud, and its sheer vunerability to theft.

The single biggest obstacle to the eliminatuon of cash is the need to enable small purchases. Once a new statndard is in place either card top up or smart phone based I shall no longer need cash. Many of us spend most of our money on debit cards as that trend develops then cash will become an expensive option for those that wish to retain it. If you think about it cash developed as a substitute for other valuables it is a token. Now we live in a electronic world that token is obsolete.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum