Why is the UK still fighting in Afghanistan.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why is the UK still fighting in Afghanistan.

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am

As it has been announced that the British fighting force will leave Afghanistan in 4 years time, is there any point to retaining our forces there at all. The fighting war is unwinnable and all our forces are doing is obeying the orders of London to provide targets for muslim insurgents to bomb. WE should withdraw our troops NOW and let the Afghans do their own fighting. The UK should not get involved in any areas except Europe. Look at the mess the political decision by Bliar to invade Iraq has caused. Likewise the political decision by Cameron to bomb the hell out of Libya. Both those countries are now much worse off than they were before London intervened. Bring the troops home NOW

Back to top Go down

Re: Why is the UK still fighting in Afghanistan.

Post by Irn Bru on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 pm

fred bloggs wrote:As it has been announced that the British fighting force will leave Afghanistan in 4 years time, is there any point to retaining our forces there at all. The fighting war is unwinnable and all our forces are doing is obeying the orders of London to provide targets for muslim insurgents to bomb. WE should withdraw our troops NOW and let the Afghans do their own fighting. The UK should not get involved in any areas except Europe. Look at the mess the political decision by Bliar to invade Iraq has caused. Likewise the political decision by Cameron to bomb the hell out of Libya. Both those countries are now much worse off than they were before London intervened. Bring the troops home NOW

You make a good case, Fred, and it's hard to argue against what you say. However, I think there are several things that have to be taken into consideration most of all that Afghanistan was an 'incubator' for terrorism and that the 'rulers' of that country openly allowed terrorist groups to set up training camps to teach both men and women to launch terror attacks on targets throughout the world. I think that really was the prime motivator and the reason why the USA, the UK and several other countries invaded the country and if memory serves me right most of the country pretty much backed the action at that time. Obviously, the government, the military and a large proportion of the general public thought a bunch of rebels and a rag-tag army would be a roll-over with little loss of life but it hasn't turned out that way. I would say that the mission has failed to deliver what was expected and the government now faces a dilemma in trying to get out on the back of claiming that the objectives will have been met and that by 2014 the country has been stabilised to the extent that the Afghan government will then have the means to take full responsibility for their country.

I don't believe that's true but I don't blame the government for saying that because I think they know that reaching that position is virtually impossible and that when they do leave there will be much blood letting as scores are settled and people are hunted down for assisting coalition forces.

I would say bring the troops home now but I just can't help thinking about the men and women who have already died or have been disabled in this conflict and what their families would say in that it was all in vain and their sacrifices have been for nothing. For that reason I think they have to see this through whilst at the same time doing as much as possible to minimise even more the risk to the troops during the remainder of this campaign.
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinky on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:12 am

It isnt often you and I agree irn bru but your post is bang on.

I have one caveat probably driven by the fact my nineteen year old son is about to be deployed there. The govt is so corrupt that it jndermines the good work of the combined forces. Indeed the Taliban are gaining ground simply because they dont push for bribes all the time. I would rather partition the lower part of the country and give it them on the agreement they do not assist Al Quaeda. Hardly ideal but if they renege we can use modern technology to hit them.from the air.
Drinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am

I will take up your point Irn Bru where you say :- Quote "I just can't help thinking about the men and women who have already died or have been disabled in this conflict and what their families would say in that it was all in vain and their sacrifices have been for nothing. " At some time in the near future the troops will be coming home and that scenario will be played out. The truth is that because of wrong Political decisions by Westminster Politicians those troops were killed and injured in vain and nothing will change that. To prolong the risk to our troops in a pointless and unwinnable war, is downright criminal and our troops should be withdrawn now. I'm sure the families of our fallen hero's would back that move as they would not like any other families to go through what they have suffered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinky on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Irn Bru is right though Fred this wasn't a mission without a cause. The Taliban had become a real problem. This attricious war has taken its toll on both sides and I venture to say that the Taliban do seem more amenable to negotiation now.

Be assured if we pulled out tomorrow I would rejoice so my lad didn't have to go there but I would be being very selfish in such a view.
Drinky

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top