Moors Murderer Ian Brady to face public hearing in July

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moors Murderer Ian Brady to face public hearing in July

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 pm

A date has been set for a mental health tribunal into whether Moors Murderer Ian Brady can be returned to prison. The hearing at Ashworth Hospital will be shown live at the Civil Justice Centre in Manchester, where members of public will be able to watch. It will begin on 9 July and is estimated to last for eight days.

Brady, 74, jailed in 1966 for the murder of three children buried on Saddleworth Moor, has been detained at Ashworth hospital since 1985.

No members of the public will be admitted to the hearing room at Ashworth.

Brady, who is on hunger strike, wants to return to prison to avoid force-feeding

Judge Robert Atherton said "further consideration" was being given as to whether any members of the media would be given access to the room at the hospital. It will be only the second time such a case has been held in public.

His solicitor Richard Nicholas said Brady, who has been on hunger strike since 1999, believes he "should no longer be detained under the Mental Health Act at Ashworth Hospital".

"He has been on a self-imposed hunger strike with a view to ending his life," Mr Nicholas said. "Whilst he is subject to the Act, it is possible for him to be subject to a forced feeding regime, hence his wish to be transferred back to prison and away from the powers of compulsory treatment."

Brady, who was born in Glasgow, wants to be transferred to a Scottish prison and be allowed to die. Along with his partner Myra Hindley, who died in November 2002, Brady was responsible for the murder of five youngsters in the 1960s.

Pauline Reade, 16, John Kilbride, 12, Keith Bennett, 12, Lesley Ann Downey, 10, and Edward Evans, 17, were all killed by Brady and Hindley.

The body of Keith Bennett, who Brady admitted to killing in 1987, has never been found.

'Facing him'

Keith's mother Winnie Johnson, of Longsight, Manchester, said last year she wished to attend Brady's hearing to come "face-to-face" with her son's killer.

Ms Johnson, 78, who has cancer, said: "I want to listen to what he has got to say, if he is going to say anything important. I have never seen him face-to-face. It would hurt, but the point is I want to be there. The only way I can find out is going and facing him."

Brady was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1966 for the murders of Lesley Ann Downey, Edward Evans and John Kilbride.

He was diagnosed as a psychopath in 1985 and sectioned under the Mental Health Act. He was transferred from prison to Ashworth, a maximum security hospital, that year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-17314527

Back to top Go down

Re: Moors Murderer Ian Brady to face public hearing in July

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm

I think it is wonderful they are giving him the hearing, because it will give him hope, and then they will say he is nutty as a fruit cake and send him back to the force feeding and his hope will come tumbling down. He needs every kind of punishment it is possible to devise for as long as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Ian Brady has been in Ashworth for an awfully long time, he has served far longer than could have been envisaged when he was sentenced. I think if he wants to go prison then he should be kept exactly where he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Nems Again wrote:Ian Brady has been in Ashworth for an awfully long time, he has served far longer than could have been envisaged when he was sentenced. I think if he wants to go prison then he should be kept exactly where he is.

Agree!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:21 am

I would much prefer he went straight to hell!

But that may be a male perspective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 am

Drinky wrote:I would much prefer he went straight to hell!

But that may be a male perspective.

A person's religious beliefs may also affect that perspective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 am

He should have been hanged at the time. It has cost the tax payer millions of pounds keeping this evil monster alive. I don't think there would be much public opposition to a public hanging of this savage even at this late stage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:07 pm

There is absolutely no reason why he shoukdn't be executed. This type of crime cries out for the reintroduction of the death penalty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Agreed, he should have been executed at the time, pure evil Twisted Evil

I do think he is suffering now. Being kept alive for him seems to be a living hell, the worst punishment for him imaginable so I don't think he should be allowed back to prison as cruel and inhumane as that may seem.

I can't see the death penalty being reintroduced to be honest, despite the level of public support and obvious benefits. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 pm

fred bloggs wrote:He should have been hanged at the time. It has cost the tax payer millions of pounds keeping this evil monster alive. I don't think there would be much public opposition to a public hanging of this savage even at this late stage.

Absolutely Fred

The amount of money spent on this low life is basically disgusting. A whole industry has now built up around the housing and evaluation of sick **&* who have abducted and raped and murdered and mutilated the most vulnerable members of our society, children.

The death sentence should have been carried out on him and a fair few others. In many polls the wider public do not hold much opposition to these evil sods getting executed for their heinous acts.

It's this sick industry around them that gets its views put forward in "focus" groups and "think tanks" and gets the ear of the government.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Isn't it starnge that the minority bleeding hearts rule the roost. Why is it in a democracy that a majority of people don't carry the day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I have no idea Drinky, no idea at all No

Can you imagine the UK reinstating the death penalty? The European Court of Human Rights would be inundated, we'd end up with a death row situation with appeal after appeal. It would all cost a fortune and take 20 years before anyone faced death by whatever method Rolling Eyes

Times aren't what they used to be, rightly or wrongly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Public opinion is irrelevant we cannot re-introduce the death penalty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Nems Again wrote:Public opinion is irrelevant we cannot re-introduce the death penalty
unfortunately i agree we cannot re-introduce the death the chance that an innocent person is put to death is to great a price to pay

Yet that said i would shoot this *&^% in the head as there is no doubt of his crimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Nems Again wrote:Public opinion is irrelevant we cannot re-introduce the death penalty

As a total aside Nems, your pm with the smilie suggestion, couldn't see what smilie it was sorry or I would have done it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top