Poll suggests 70pc oppose gay marriage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Poll suggests 70pc oppose gay marriage

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Seven out of 10 people are opposed to the Government’s plans to redefine marriage to include same-sex couples, a poll suggests.

In the first test of opinion carried out since the launch of a high-profile campaign against the proposed change, 70 per cent of respondents agreed with the proposition that marriage should remain a “life-long exclusive commitment between a man and a woman”.

Only 22 per cent disagreed while nine per cent remained unsure, according to the ComRes survey carried out for the religious campaign group Catholic Voices.

But the poll also found strong support for civil partnerships for same-sex couples with six out of 10 people showing their approval.

While 68 per cent of respondents agreed with the idea that marriage is important to society and should be promoted by the state, support was much stronger among married people, at 83 per cent, compared with 55 per cent of single people.

Dr Austen Ivereigh, coordinator of Catholic Voices, said: “Our poll shows that the Government has no mandate to alter an institution which lies at the foundation of our society. British people believe that gay relationships should be recognised by the state through civil partnerships. But they are clear that marriage is a unique institution which needs to be promoted because of the benefits to children of being raised by a mother and a father. These results are a clear warning to Government that it is at odds with the public on this issue.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9129750/Poll-suggests-70pc-oppose-gay-marriage.html
Absolute rubbish

Back to top Go down

Re: Poll suggests 70pc oppose gay marriage

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Feelthelove wrote:Seven out of 10 people are opposed to the Government’s plans to redefine marriage to include same-sex couples, a poll suggests.

In the first test of opinion carried out since the launch of a high-profile campaign against the proposed change, 70 per cent of respondents agreed with the proposition that marriage should remain a “life-long exclusive commitment between a man and a woman”.

Only 22 per cent disagreed while nine per cent remained unsure, according to the ComRes survey carried out for the religious campaign group Catholic Voices.

But the poll also found strong support for civil partnerships for same-sex couples with six out of 10 people showing their approval.

While 68 per cent of respondents agreed with the idea that marriage is important to society and should be promoted by the state, support was much stronger among married people, at 83 per cent, compared with 55 per cent of single people.

Dr Austen Ivereigh, coordinator of Catholic Voices, said: “Our poll shows that the Government has no mandate to alter an institution which lies at the foundation of our society. British people believe that gay relationships should be recognised by the state through civil partnerships. But they are clear that marriage is a unique institution which needs to be promoted because of the benefits to children of being raised by a mother and a father. These results are a clear warning to Government that it is at odds with the public on this issue.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9129750/Poll-suggests-70pc-oppose-gay-marriage.html
Absolute rubbish

It is completely out of sync with all of the other polls that have been conducted over this matter and there has been criticism of the wording of the question asked also the Catholic Voice isn't well known for forward thinking attitudes, and has tried to throw a spanner in the works of all equality legislation since the equal age of consent was debated.

The poll of polls over this issue would show by a very big margin that the public don't see to have a problem with the issue of gay marriage, i was watching QT last night and again the majority of the audience were backing gay marriage equality there as well. It's probably a rogue poll IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 am

Philagain wrote:

It is completely out of sync with all of the other polls that have been conducted over this matter and there has been criticism of the wording of the question asked also the Catholic Voice isn't well known for forward thinking attitudes, and has tried to throw a spanner in the works of all equality legislation since the equal age of consent was debated.

The poll of polls over this issue would show by a very big margin that the public don't see to have a problem with the issue of gay marriage, i was watching QT last night and again the majority of the audience were backing gay marriage equality there as well. It's probably a rogue poll IMO.

It is a Catholic Poll...
Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 am

David1 wrote:

It is a Catholic Poll...
Laughing

Rolling Rolling Rolling Rolling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 am

sassy1261 wrote:

Rolling Rolling Rolling Rolling

As it is a catholic poll I would imagine its sample was hardly random!
As it is a targeted poll I think it is rather a positive sign that its 70%
and perhaps an indicator that the church is losing its grip on peoples thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:02 am

Nems Again wrote:

As it is a catholic poll I would imagine its sample was hardly random!
As it is a targeted poll I think it is rather a positive sign that its 70%
and perhaps an indicator that the church is losing its grip on peoples thinking.

Hopefully!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 pm

The poll was carried out by an independent research company....ComRes http://www.comres.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:35 pm

It was wrong just to target members of the RC church in the poll. We all know whats been going on within that organisation as to perversion. A truer poll would have been if it were taken among ordinary decent people from all walks of life. That poll would have had a different result. There would have been 70% in favour of gay civil partnerships and 90% against gay marriage. Most people believe that the gays are not disadvantaged by the civil partnerships !!.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm

fred bloggs wrote:It was wrong just to target members of the RC church in the poll. We all know whats been going on within that organisation as to perversion. A truer poll would have been if it were taken among ordinary decent people from all walks of life. That poll would have had a different result. There would have been 70% in favour of gay civil partnerships and 90% against gay marriage. Most people believe that the gays are not disadvantaged by the civil partnerships !!.

I watched this debate on QT the other day. Its fairly obvious that many cannot see the difference between Church santioned marriage and a CIVIL partnership.

Should the state try to oppose its views upon churches, synagogues, temples and mosques and "force" them to marry same sex couples then the point of winning the war against fascism was what exactly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Personally I can't see any logical reason why anyone would object to gay people getting married. Whose business it is other than theirs? Who is it hurting? It is prejudice pure and simple No

According to the Daily Mail The Pope yesterday "condemned David Cameron’s plan to allow same-sex marriage, calling it an attack on justice.
He said that marriage between a man and a woman must be preserved because it protects parents, children and the whole of society."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112857/Pope-weighs-gay-marriage-row-condemning.html#ixzz1oiWyOBDy

"Protects" from what????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Feelthelove wrote:Personally I can't see any logical reason why anyone would object to gay people getting married. Whose business it is other than theirs? Who is it hurting? It is prejudice pure and simple No

According to the Daily Mail The Pope yesterday "condemned David Cameron’s plan to allow same-sex marriage, calling it an attack on justice.
He said that marriage between a man and a woman must be preserved because it protects parents, children and the whole of society."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112857/Pope-weighs-gay-marriage-row-condemning.html#ixzz1oiWyOBDy

"Protects" from what????

But FTL do you wish to "force" your views upon churches, temples, mosques or synagogues?

That's the question here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:12 pm

No, of course I don't but isn't that just what others who object to gay marriage are doing, forcing their own views on others? Marriage doesn't just take place in church does it?! No

What right has the church to dictate who can get married? No, I don't think the church should be forced to carry out gay weddings but it has nothing to do with them outside of the church. They should concentrate on getting their own house in order Twisted Evil

If a loving couple want to get married and commit to each other whose business is it other than their own?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Feelthelove wrote:No, of course I don't but isn't that just what others who object to gay marriage are doing, forcing their own views on others? Marriage doesn't just take place in church does it?! No

What right has the church to dictate who can get married? No, I don't think the church should be forced to carry out gay weddings but it has nothing to do with them outside of the church. They should concentrate on getting their own house in order Twisted Evil

If a loving couple want to get married and commit to each other whose business is it other than their own?
Absolutely spot on FTL Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:26 pm

As you know I'm straight but if I were gay and someone told me I couldn't get married, believe me I would rebel. I HATE being told what I can and can't do, particularly when it affects no-one apart from me. Who the hell do these people think they are? No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Feelthelove wrote:As you know I'm straight but if I were gay and someone told me I couldn't get married, believe me I would rebel. I HATE being told what I can and can't do, particularly when it affects no-one apart from me. Who the hell do these people think they are? No

Yep exactly especially when that is coming from a minority themselves Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:22 pm

David1 wrote:

Yep exactly especially when that is coming from a minority themselves Cool

Would you get married David? x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm

A Catholic poll, well that'll be a decent cross section of society then Laughing

The wording of a poll can have a huge impact on how the question is answered. In this case should marriage remain a “life-long exclusive commitment between a man and a woman”? Then the implied answer is the positive -yes.

Likewise a question asking, should gay men and women have the same right to a marriage as heterosexuals; the implied positive is- yes.

Most polls show a narrow support for gay marriage. Nearly all members of the HoC support gay marriage it would seem, so it will almost certainly haappen.

And still no one asks the view of those RELIGIOUS institutions that want to be allowed to legally perform gay marriage ceremonies; dear oh dear; where are their rights?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Would you get married David? x

Religiously? No because Catholicism does not agree with us. But a civil MARRIAGE yes Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:49 pm

David1 wrote:

Religiously? No because Catholicism does not agree with us. But a civil MARRIAGE yes Twisted Evil

Can I come? xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Can I come? xxx

Yes lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 am

Back to the subject of the thread.

Most people believe that the gays are not disadvantaged by the civil partnerships !!.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:22 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Back to the subject of the thread.

Most people believe that the gays are not disadvantaged by the civil partnerships !!.

The church's position is purely on the sacrosant of marriage which is there through the protection of the family surely. It's nothing to really do with commitment between people of same sex.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

In opposing homosexual "marriages" the Churches are simply in accord with the laws of Nature. Man and woman were created, by whatever means you believe in, to procreate and prolong the species. It is not possible for two men or two women to do this except by artificial means. If homosexuality is a natural practise why were humans not created of one sex only? In other words hermaphrodites. The Churches obviously believe that Man was created by a God. They believe that He/She did so for a purpose, and constructed man and woman accordingly. Sexual relations between two men or two women achieve nothing except personal sexual satisfaction. I certainly do not believe that this should be the basis for a "marriage" in the eyes of the law.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

Good post Dreamtime - Have a greenie from me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am

Many thanks Fred. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top