Hundreds of jobs created within the renewable energy industry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hundreds of jobs created within the renewable energy industry

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 am

Energy giant Vattenfall seals deal with Ruthin company for English windfarm project

AN ENERGY giant secured hundreds of jobs in North Wales with orders for a wind farm in England.

Vattenfall, the leading European company, signed contracts with Ruthin and Swansea based civil engineering firm Jones Bros and Chepstow-based Mabey Bridge for wind turbine steel towers, in a move that sustains more than 200 jobs in the sector.

Jones Bros has already started ground work for the 11-turbine Swinford wind farm in Leicestershire and will be working on site until the end of the year, and the project’s first steel tower is being prepared to be ‘rolled’ at Mabey Bridge.

The steel towers, contracted by wind turbine manufacturer Vestas, are an essential component of the Vestas V90 2MW wind turbine.

Vattenfall, which hopes to build the £1bn Pen y Cymoedd wind farm across the Head of the Valleys area if approved by the Government, said it, and its contractors, are delivering on their promise to work with Welsh businesses wherever possible.

Piers Guy, Vattenfall’s Head of Onshore Wind Development in the UK, said: “Wales is developing a renewable energy supply chain which is creating and retaining hundreds of Welsh jobs across many sectors. “The growth potential for companies working in the sector over the long term is significant, as Jones Bros are already demonstrating.”

He added: “We are delighted the turbine towers for one of Vattenfall’s projects will be made in Wales for the first time. “The establishment of a turbine tower manufacturing facility has been a major boost to the industry in Wales and the UK. “We are equally delighted Jones Bros has been awarded the important civil engineering contract.”

Eryl Roberts, project construction manager at Jones Bros, said the Denbighshire company’s team have the skills and expertise to ensure the project is “developed responsibly and with consideration for the local area”.

“Our success also demonstrates the skills and knowledge base that is being developed here in Wales in support of the expanding renewable energy sector,” said Mr Roberts.

Welsh Minister for Environment and Sustainable Development, John Griffiths added: “I am delighted that Welsh companies such as Mabey Bridge and Jones Bros are proving their ability to compete for, and win lucrative multi million contracts within the renewable energy sector.

“This is great news for Wales, particularly when such contracts are resulting in well paid and skilled Welsh jobs, and I congratulate both companies on their success.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business-news/business-news/2012/03/01/energy-giant-vattenfall-seals-deal-with-ruthin-company-for-english-windfarm-project-55578-30435082/

Back to top Go down

Re: Hundreds of jobs created within the renewable energy industry

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm

It ius an area about which I am quite skeptical Seren.

For example solar panels. Without subsidy they wouldn't be fitted. To produce the panels takes enormous amounts of energy and because of prevailing weather conditions here returns to the consumer are only viable with subsidy. Is there an ecological payback based on current technology I doubt it.

However ion the plus side I want to see us being at the forefront of R&D and the British have certyainly been world leaders in Engineering in the past.

I would just like to see the artificial subsidies removed from the equation and we beginn to develop technologies which can stand by themselves. If we are to subsidise do more in the way of R&D not by fitting panels which are marginally effective.

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 pm

I am not really a fan of windfarms - I suppose they are a stop gap until proper tidal and wave power is further developed. If wind farms are to provide any kind of boost to energy production, they should not be situated in remote valleys, requiring huge transmission lines to carry the power to the cities. Those wind farm sites and power lines are unsightly and unnecessary and spoil the beauty of the countryside. They, the wind turbines, should be situated on higher ground within each city boundary that requires the power. Each city should be responsible for their own renewable energy.---- Nimbyism by cities is spoiling the whole concept of renewables.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Wind farms in many situations are a complete red herring. They simply don't produce enough reliable energy to pay back the carbon used to make them. That is nonsense and completely anti green.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:34 am

Maybe the jury is out on wind farms but its an area still creating new jobs though. I'm more for offshore wind technologies rather than onshore.

Anglesey is up in arms about all the proposed new wind farms as are locals around here in Corwen.

http://stemm.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Seren wrote:Maybe the jury is out on wind farms but its an area still creating new jobs though. I'm more for offshore wind technologies rather than onshore.

Anglesey is up in arms about all the proposed new wind farms as are locals around here in Corwen.

Labour created plenty of jobs in the public sector but do they add value do they buggery. Green technology is in a sense no different to any other public expenditure it has to be well spent. Moreover as I say if you build a windfarm in an area with minimal wind then it can never make sense. Wind generators have a terrible achilles heel. If the wind is too little they don't work if it is too much they have to be turned off or they overrun and burn up.

If an individual generator takes 500 megawatts to make it but it will onl return 400 in it's opersating life that isn't green it is anti green. (The figures are an illustration)
I don't want the illusion of green I want green. The green lobby is so het uoi they are forcing govts to makje decisions that in the fullness of time will bring derision on the subject. That is why I quoted the defunct rig story. Thats was the greeens winning a pyrrhic victory.

I'm getting the words chocolate and teapot.Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Drinky wrote:It ius an area about which I am quite skeptical Seren.

For example solar panels. Without subsidy they wouldn't be fitted. To produce the panels takes enormous amounts of energy and because of prevailing weather conditions here returns to the consumer are only viable with subsidy. Is there an ecological payback based on current technology I doubt it.

However ion the plus side I want to see us being at the forefront of R&D and the British have certyainly been world leaders in Engineering in the past.

I would just like to see the artificial subsidies removed from the equation and we beginn to develop technologies which can stand by themselves. If we are to subsidise do more in the way of R&D not by fitting panels which are marginally effective.

Just a thought.
i never heard any body complain about the $4 billion that the White House estimate is the amount of tax breaks and subsidies for oil and gas companies
seems a bit disingenuous to complain about green technology subsidy`s in the light of that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:28 pm

lets not forget for every watt wind generated, it requires a conventional backup for the days it is too windy, not windy enough, too hot, too cold. Relying on wind to solve our problems is smoke and mirrors, it will only be an addition to conventional generation. Remove the subsidies and it would never get off teh ground. Lets not even mention the bird chopping aspect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am

TTS wrote:i never heard any body complain about the $4 billion that the White House estimate is the amount of tax breaks and subsidies for oil and gas companies
seems a bit disingenuous to complain about green technology subsidy`s in the light of that
who gave me the red stripe then ?.......and why ? whats wrong with the above statement

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 am

Seren wrote:Maybe the jury is out on wind farms but its an area still creating new jobs though. I'm more for offshore wind technologies rather than onshore.

i read the link but i am very skeptical of the "to scale" picture on the page because that`s big really really big
But what stuck me about the site it was almost identical in feeling to the people in the early part of the last century who said the same things roughly about electric pylons and how they would destroy the view and the country side and that they where a eye-saw
yet nowadays most people don`t give them a second glance

there is a wind generator near me i can see it
personally i think it looks beautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 am

It isn't the aesthetics it is the imppracticality and unreliability. Mind you even the aesthetics are subjective of course. TTS I knowe you to be a technical man from previous deisciussions. As flap says they have to have a carbon backup and many don't pay back the energy used to make them. That by any standards is nonsense. As to your white house statement we are talking UK. An oil hungry countryt like the US might find subsidising exploratrion quite sensible thankyou very much though I accept hardly green.

The greenest energy is Nucler and taht is despite Fukushima. It is carbon free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Drinky wrote:It isn't the aesthetics it is the imppracticality and unreliability. Mind you even the aesthetics are subjective of course. TTS I knowe you to be a technical man from previous deisciussions. As flap says they have to have a carbon backup and many don't pay back the energy used to make them. That by any standards is nonsense. As to your white house statement we are talking UK. An oil hungry countryt like the US might find subsidising exploratrion quite sensible thankyou very much though I accept hardly green.

The greenest energy is Nucler and taht is despite Fukushima. It is carbon free.
ok lets talk uk

Public subsidies for the development of wind power in the UK are dwarfed by the tax breaks enjoyed by fossil fuels, a new Guardian analysis has revealed. Financial support for fledgling renewable energy industries has increasingly come under attack in recent months, but the new data shows that the older industries benefit to a far greater extent.

Gas, oil and coal prices were subsidised by £3.63bn in 2010, according to data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development , whereas offshore and onshore wind received £0.7bn in the year from April 2010. All renewables in the UK benefited from £1.4bn over the same period, according to data from the Department of Energy and Climate Change (Decc).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/27/wind-power-subsidy-fossil-fuels
so subsidy's from America subsidy`s from the uk subsidy`s from many other country's as well i suspect and how much profit did these company's make ??

i am sure the oil company's don`t want to give it up to green technology that really needs investment and research to improve the technology and make it more cost affective

ps as a after thought

"The greenest energy is Nucler and taht is despite Fukushima. It is carbon free."

carbon free ok yet when a wind farm or solar panel fails we tend not to evacuate half the country side not to mention the waste disposal of spent fuel that`s dangerous and highly toxic for 20,0000 years

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:49 am

TTS wrote:ok lets talk uk

Public subsidies for the development of wind power in the UK are dwarfed by the tax breaks enjoyed by fossil fuels, a new Guardian analysis has revealed. Financial support for fledgling renewable energy industries has increasingly come under attack in recent months, but the new data shows that the older industries benefit to a far greater extent.

Gas, oil and coal prices were subsidised by £3.63bn in 2010, according to data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development , whereas offshore and onshore wind received £0.7bn in the year from April 2010. All renewables in the UK benefited from £1.4bn over the same period, according to data from the Department of Energy and Climate Change (Decc).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/27/wind-power-subsidy-fossil-fuels
so subsidy's from America subsidy`s from the uk subsidy`s from many other country's as well i suspect and how much profit did these company's make ??

i am sure the oil company's don`t want to give it up to green technology that really needs investment and research to improve the technology and make it more cost affective

ps as a after thought

"The greenest energy is Nucler and taht is despite Fukushima. It is carbon free."

carbon free ok yet when a wind farm or solar panel fails we tend not to evacuate half the country side not to mention the waste disposal of spent fuel that`s dangerous and highly toxic for 20,0000 years

30000 actually. However in vitro it is safe. Moreover in geologically stable regions nuclear causes much less ecological damage. We are currently destroying thee lakes in Scandinavia with fossil fuel emissions. The French have oroduced gigswatts of energy the majority of their needs for years withiut incident. Nuclear produces power steadily and reluably 24/7.

It has served us well this last 40 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 am

Drinky wrote:30000 actually. However in vitro it is safe. Moreover in geologically stable regions nuclear causes much less ecological damage. We are currently destroying thee lakes in Scandinavia with fossil fuel emissions. The French have oroduced gigswatts of energy the majority of their needs for years withiut incident. Nuclear produces power steadily and reluably 24/7.

It's a shame that you can't get onboard with new renewable industries. People involved are enthusiastic about the new green energy production and many local communities can actually get involved.

I do try to post stories that show that despite ALL the doom and gloom on here there is a lot of enthusiasm around the UK for a new mindset, a new way of viewing how you generate electricity and become more green in how you live.

I just can't get this enthusiasm from the projects I've posted about in Wales across to posters here.

It's a shame but my enthusiasm remains undiminished Very Happy

There's a massive mind shift in the country about a different way of looking at things. I meet many English people who have caught the Welsh and Scottish bug for radical change even.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 am

Seren wrote:

It's a shame that you can't get onboard with new renewable industries. People involved are enthusiastic about the new green energy production and many local communities can actually get involved.

I do try to post stories that show that despite ALL the doom and gloom on here there is a lot of enthusiasm around the UK for a new mindset, a new way of viewing how you generate electricity and become more green in how you live.

I just can't get this enthusiasm from the projects I've posted about in Wales across to posters here.

It's a shame but my enthusiasm remains undiminished Very Happy

There's a massive mind shift in the country about a different way of looking at things. I meet many English people who have caught the Welsh and Scottish bug for radical change even.

the thing though with wind and solar is that they need 100% conventional backup, so they are never going to be a replacement as some seem to be suggesting. they can be a supplement of course, but never a replacement for what we have now and what we have now is coming to the limits of its capacity and what follows next is brownouts and then blackouts. We should not be putting the energy requirements in teh hands of a lot green extremists who don't seem to care if rare bird species are wiped out birb these bird choppers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 am

In A Flap wrote:

the thing though with wind and solar is that they need 100% conventional backup, so they are never going to be a replacement as some seem to be suggesting. they can be a supplement of course, but never a replacement for what we have now and what we have now is coming to the limits of its capacity and what follows next is brownouts and then blackouts. We should not be putting the energy requirements in teh hands of a lot green extremists who don't seem to care if rare bird species are wiped out birb these bird choppers.

But when they are working they ARE creating electricity from just wind and solar. By doing simply nothing at all to address future energy needs isn't that simply worse.

I can't argue against some of the logistical difficulties of renewables, neither about how the whole industry is being hijacked by the Tories to MAKE sure that none of it benefits local communities or individuals. They are doing everything in their power to make sure that big business continues to keep a firm hand on our energy needs.

Regarding birs, off shore is by far the best way to go as opposed to land based wind farms. Best for eberybody.

The RSPB are consulted about most new installations anyway. Rare bird species will not be WIPED out and I am unaware of any group or legitimate protests that say that. There were initial concerns about the impact on birds but not now. Am unsure which environmental impact studies you have read which has said this. Most strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Seren wrote:

But when they are working they ARE creating electricity from just wind and solar. By doing simply nothing at all to address future energy needs isn't that simply worse.

I can't argue against some of the logistical difficulties of renewables, neither about how the whole industry is being hijacked by the Tories to MAKE sure that none of it benefits local communities or individuals. They are doing everything in their power to make sure that big business continues to keep a firm hand on our energy needs.

Regarding birs, off shore is by far the best way to go as opposed to land based wind farms. Best for eberybody.

The RSPB are consulted about most new installations anyway. Rare bird species will not be WIPED out and I am unaware of any group or legitimate protests that say that. There were initial concerns about the impact on birds but not now. Am unsure which environmental impact studies you have read which has said this. Most strange.
but they do not work all the time and cannot up production on demand. A conventional station cannot just be fired up when the wind stops it need to be running all the time.

I think you should read up about the californian condor and the golden eagle. Both are endangered and both are being killed by turbines. Raptures are more likely to be killed becasue they will scavenge dead birds that have already been killed.
There is a video on my site of a vultures being knocked out of the sky by a bird chopper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Drinky wrote:30000 actually. However in vitro it is safe. Moreover in geologically stable regions nuclear causes much less ecological damage. We are currently destroying thee lakes in Scandinavia with fossil fuel emissions. The French have oroduced gigswatts of energy the majority of their needs for years withiut incident. Nuclear produces power steadily and reluably 24/7.

well no not actualy it depends on the substance how long it takes to loose HALF its toxicity i was just being generic

And france
you really should check your facts before you hold them up as a example

17 October 1969 Saint-Laurent, France 50 kg of Uranium in one of the reactors at the Saint-Laurent Nuclear Power Plant began to melt, an event classified at 'level 4' on the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES).As of March 2011, this remains the most serious civil nuclear power accident in France.

25 July 1979 Saclay, France Radioactive fluids escape into drains designed for ordinary wastes, seeping into the local watershed at the Saclay BL3 Reactor

3 March 1980 Loir-et-Cher, France A malfunctioning cooling system fuses fuel elements together at the Saint Laurent A2 reactor, ruining the fuel assembly and forcing an extended shutdown 22

14 April 1984 Bugey, France Electrical cables fail at the command centre of the Bugey Nuclear Power Plant and force a complete shutdown of one reactor 2

22 May 1986 Normandy, France A reprocessing plant at La Hague malfunctions and exposes workers to unsafe levels of radiation and forces five to be hospitalised 5

12 April 1987 Tricastin, France Tricastin fast breeder reactor leaks coolant, sodium and uranium hexachloride, injuring seven workers and contaminating water supplies 50

27 December 1999 Blayais, France An unexpectedly strong storm floods the Blayais Nuclear Power Plant, forcing an emergency shutdown after injection pumps and containment safety systems fail from water damage 55

21 January 2002 Manche, France Control systems and safety valves fail after improper installation of condensers, forcing a two-month shutdown 102

16 May 2005 Lorraine, France Sub-standard electrical cables at the Cattenom-2 nuclear reactor cause a fire in an electricity tunnel, damaging safety systems 12

13 July 2008 Tricastin, France 75 kg of natural uranium, in thousands of litres of solution, accidentally spilled on the ground and run off into a nearby river 7

12 August 2009 Gravelines, France Assembly system fails to properly eject spent fuel rods from the Gravelines Nuclear Power Plant, causing the fuel rods to jam and the reactor to shut down 2

12 September 2011 Marcoule, France One person has been killed and four injured, one seriously, in a blast at the Marcoule Nuclear Site. The explosion took place in a furnace used to melt “low to very low grade” metallic waste, a spokesman for the safety authority said, and did not represent a nuclear accident

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 pm

you also might want to check out this excellent post bye FTL

http://electricsky.forumotion.co.uk/t3497-uk-nuclear-sites-at-risk-of-flooding-report-shows

And you haven't mentioned the subsidy's the oil and gas company's get when compared to renewable`s
i am sure you would agree that we could save a lot of money if like president obama
David Cameron pushed for the removal of these tax brakes and subsidy's for the oil and gas company's who are IMO profiteering and in collusion after all we the public don`t get a tax break on fuel

in fact the exact opposite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top