Church 'Does Not Own Tradition Of Marriage'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Church 'Does Not Own Tradition Of Marriage'

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:38 am

Marriage is owned by 'the people', says Lib Dem Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone

The Church does not have the exclusive right to choose who can get married, a Government minister has said, as she vowed to push ahead with plans to allow same-sex marriages.

The Liberal Democrat Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone said the Church does not "own" marriage and that the State was entitled to make changes.

With the Government due to begin consultations on introducing "equal marriage" next month, she acknowledged the issue provoked strong feelings, but cited the words of the former Archbishop of Canterbury in support of her position. "Some believe the Government has no right to change it at all; they want to leave tradition alone," she writes in The Daily Telegraph. "I want to challenge that view - it is the Government's fundamental job to reflect society and to shape the future, not stay silent where it has the power to act and change things for the better. (Marriage) is owned by neither the state nor the Church, as the former Archbishop Lord Carey rightly said. So it is owned by the people."

Ms Featherstone appealed to people not to "polarise" the debate about same-sex marriages. "This is not a battle between gay rights and religious beliefs. This is about the underlying principles of family, society and personal freedoms," she writes.

While Prime Minister David Cameron and the Lib Dems strongly support same-sex marriages, there is fierce opposition among traditionalists in both the Church and the Conservative Party.

Lord Carey accused Ms Featherstone of putting an "unwarranted slant" on his words. "When I said that not even the Church owns it (marriage), I meant that the Church has no authority to change the definition of marriage as far as Christian thinking is concerned - there is a givenness to it," he told the Telegraph. "Lynne's logic implies the will of the people is sovereign. So let's suppose that in 10 years' time it is proposed that, as people are living in multiples of four, we may call that marriage also."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16176738

Back to top Go down

Re: Church 'Does Not Own Tradition Of Marriage'

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:01 am

Really Mrs Featherstone is correct. Unless the was obvious outrage from the majority on any issue then we can assume most are ok with or agree with a proposal. Over one million people couldn't budge the govt on cuts in strikes last year and the opposition to gay marriage is marginal. I am optomistic about this Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 am

I am very hopeful it will go ahead, if two people love each other and want to commit to each other, they should have the same legal rights to do so, whatever their sex.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am

sassy1261 wrote:I am very hopeful it will go ahead, if two people love each other and want to commit to each other, they should have the same legal rights to do so, whatever their sex.

The fact that the right to do so is still being debated is outrageous. Why anyone should deny another the right to be happy where it affects no-one other than themselves is beyond me. It can only be based on prejudice No

You have every right to be optimistic Eilzel, it makes perfect sense I love you x

Back to top Go down

Archbishop of Canterbury says law has no right to legalise same-sex marriage

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm

The Archbishop of Canterbury has said he believes the law has no right to legalise same-sex marriage.

Dr Rowan Williams says the monarch must be brought up in an Anglican environment. Photo: PA

Dr Rowan Williams said the issue of gay couples becoming married should be addressed through “culture rather than law”. He also said it would be wrong to legalise assisted dying because of the threat it posed to the vulnerable and because it would go against the beliefs of a majority.

His comments will mean the Prime Minister now knows he faces significant opposition to plans to allow the full rights of marriage to same-sex couples.

The Archbishop said human rights law “falls short of a legal charter to promote change in Institutions”. Dr Williams added: “If it is said that a failure to legalise assisted suicide – or same-sex marriage – perpetuates stigma or marginalisation for some people, the reply must be, I believe, that issues like stigma and marginalisation have to be addressed at the level of culture rather than law.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9112427/Archbishop-of-Canterbury-says-law-has-no-right-to-legalise-same-sex-marriage.html

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Of course he dosen't, because the majority of the clergy in HIS church don't want it, yet... Of course what the Archbishop is also saying is that those churches/faiths that DO want it, cannot have it either, and I don't think it is fair he should judge the not to have that right Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 pm

eilzel wrote:Of course he dosen't, because the majority of the clergy in HIS church don't want it, yet... Of course what the Archbishop is also saying is that those churches/faiths that DO want it, cannot have it either, and I don't think it is fair he should judge the not to have that right Evil or Very Mad

It is only a matter of time before the Church becomes so detached from reality and public opinion it will have no relevance whatsoever Eilzel x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top