Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 pm

He is regarded as the most famous atheist in the world but last night Professor Richard Dawkins admitted he could not be sure that God does not exist.


Professor Richard Dawkins, left, and Dr Rowan Williams outside Clarendon House at Oxford University before the debate Photo: REUTERS

He told the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, that he preferred to call himself an agnostic rather than an atheist.

The two men were taking part in a public “dialogue” at Oxford University at the end of a week which has seen bitter debate about the role of religion in public life in Britain.

Last week Baroness Warsi, the Tory party chairman, warned of a tide of “militant secularism” challenging the religious foundations of British society. The discussion, in Sir Christopher Wren’s Sheldonian Theatre, attracted attention from around the world. As well as being relayed to two other theatres, it was streamed live on the internet and promoted fierce debate on the Twitter social network.

For an hour and 20 minutes the two men politely discussed "The nature of human beings and the question of their ultimate origin" touching on the meaning of consciousness, the evolution of human language – and Dr Williams’s beard. For much of the discussion the Archbishop sat quietly listening to Prof Dawkins’s explanations of human evolution. At one point he told the professor that he was “inspired” by “elegance” of the professor’s explanation for the origins of life – and agreed with much of it.

Prof Dawkins told him: “What I can’t understand is why you can’t see the extraordinary beauty of the idea that life started from nothing – that is such a staggering, elegant, beautiful thing, why would you want to clutter it up with something so messy as a God?”

Dr Williams replied that he “entirely agreed” with the “beauty” of Prof Dawkins’s argument but added: “I’m not talking about God as an extra who you shoehorn on to that.”

There was surprise when Prof Dawkins acknowledged that he was less than 100 per cent certain of his conviction that there is no creator.

The philosopher Sir Anthony Kenny, who chaired the discussion, interjected: “Why don’t you call yourself an agnostic?” Prof Dawkins answered that he did. An incredulous Sir Anthony replied: “You are described as the world’s most famous atheist.” Prof Dawkins said that he was “6.9 out of seven” sure of his beliefs. “I think the probability of a supernatural creator existing is very very low,” he added. He also said that he believed it was highly likely that there was life on other planets.

At one point he discussion strayed onto the theoretical question of whether a traditional cut throat razor could be described as a more complicated thing than an electric shaver. There was laughter as the Archbishop said he would attempt an answer before adding: “Not that I know much about razors.”
During a wide-ranging discussion the Archbishop also said that he believed that human beings had evolved from non-human ancestors but were nevertheless “in the image of God”.

He also said that the explanation for the creation of the world in the Book of Genesis could not be taken literally. “The writers of the Bible, inspired as I believe they were, they were nonetheless not inspired to do 21st Century physics,” he said.

When Prof Dawkins suggested that he believed the Pope took a rather more literal interpretation of the origins of humans, the Archbishop joked: “I will ask him some time.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9102740/Richard-Dawkins-I-cant-be-sure-God-does-not-exist.html

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Jesus the Telegraph has a serious vendetta against Dawkins at the moment; too bad they are making a complete ass out of themselves with the crap they are coming out with...

Anyone who has bothered to make the effort to read Dawkins 'God Delusion' (and I'm assuming the writers of the Telegraph have not, an ignorant lack of background on their part); will be well aware of Dawkins 99% sure argument.

He is an atheist, one who is as agnostic as most people though. We are nearly all agnostic in a whimsical sense that we can never be 100% sure of anything really. If anyone claims to be 100% sure that god does exist, they are ignorant or stupid, both, or just completley brainwashed. Anyone who is even a bit less than 100% sure of God is also by this ridiculous articles claims, agnostic, which kind of destroys the foundations of the argument.

God but this paper needs to stop playing with arguments beyond its comprehension- and stick to politics.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm

eilzel wrote:Jesus the Telegraph has a serious vendetta against Dawkins at the moment; too bad they are making a complete ass out of themselves with the crap they are coming out with...

Anyone who has bothered to make the effort to read Dawkins 'God Delusion' (and I'm assuming the writers of the Telegraph have not, an ignorant lack of background on their part); will be well aware of Dawkins 99% sure argument.

He is an atheist, one who is as agnostic as most people though. We are nearly all agnostic in a whimsical sense that we can never be 100% sure of anything really. If anyone claims to be 100% sure that god does exist, they are ignorant or stupid, both, or just completley brainwashed. Anyone who is even a bit less than 100% sure of God is also by this ridiculous articles claims, agnostic, which kind of destroys the foundations of the argument.

God but this paper needs to stop playing with arguments beyond its comprehension- and stick to politics.

Feeling better for that Eilzel? Very Happy x

Unfortunately there are far too many who are brainwashed in terms of religious belief Sad

You are right, we can never be 100% sure of anything although, again there are plenty who are arrogant enough to think so.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Feeling better for that Eilzel? Very Happy x

Unfortunately there are far too many who are brainwashed in terms of religious belief Sad

You are right, we can never be 100% sure of anything although, again there are plenty who are arrogant enough to think so.


I always feel better after a rant about idiots where religion is concerned FtL Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by SEXY MAMA on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

You cant be 100% sure either way

avatar
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1169
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello Sexy, long time no speak xx

That must take a lot for a Muslim to acknowledge, that no one can be 100% certain. So you have just gained a huge level more admiration from me. That is how it sure be, there should always be room for us to admit we might not know what we think we know- unless we can admit that we'll never be open to learn anything Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

Post by SEXY MAMA on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 pm

eilzel wrote:Hello Sexy, long time no speak xx

That must take a lot for a Muslim to acknowledge, that no one can be 100% certain. So you have just gained a huge level more admiration from me. That is how it sure be, there should always be room for us to admit we might not know what we think we know- unless we can admit that we'll never be open to learn anything Smile

Hello stranger xxx

Thanks Wink

There will always be doubt wont they as nothing is proven but we just have 'faith' thats its true! ( dont worry im still a firm believer lol)

Im always open to new ideas/ suggestions as its always intresting what others believe and why!

Its when its 'forced' upon you i have a problem with , and believe it or not that goes with Islam too
affraid

avatar
SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1169
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum