Academic who backed suicide bombings to speak on campus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Academic who backed suicide bombings to speak on campus

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:19 pm

A Palestinian academic who has supported suicide bombings in Israel is to be allowed to speak at a London university.

Azzam Tamimi claimed sacrificing oneself was a 'noble cause' Photo: NIGEL HOWARD

Student campaigners have hit out after Azzam Tamimi was invited to attend the event at Queen Mary University on Tuesday.

Mr Tamimi has previous said he would be willing to blow himself up in Israel if given “the opportunity” and is a supporter of Hamas, which is a banned group in the UK.

The move will raise fresh concerns over the spread of extremist views on campuses but the university last night insisted it was defending freedom of expression.

Mr Tamimi, who is based in Britain, is to speak at an event hosted by the university’s Palestine Solidarity Society, called ‘One State or Two State Solution’.

In 2004, he claimed sacrificing oneself was a “noble cause” and said he would blow himself up in a strike against Israel he was allowed back in to the country.

"It is the straight way to pleasing my God and I would do it if I had the opportunity,” he told the BBC at the time.

In 2010, there was criticism when he was invited by Birmingham University’s Islamic Society to speak at an event there to commemorate the first anniversary of the “Israeli-led carnage” in the “concentration camp that is Gaza”.

The campaign group Student Rights said it was concerned Mr Tamimi was among a number of “biased” speakers at next week’s events.

In a statement on its website it said it was “bad enough” that Tamimi should be invited onto a campus, adding: “However, what is worse is that not only will there be no balance to his hate filled views, but that the panel he will speak alongside have all declared outspoken opposition to Israel in the past.”

A spokeswoman for the university said “freedom of expression and the sharing of ideas and beliefs are at the heart of Queen Mary’s ethos”.

University Principal, Professor Simon Gaskell, said: “In making these arrangements we neither endorse nor deny the views expressed; rather we are allowing freedom of expression within the law. Furthermore, we are implicitly attributing to our university community the intelligence and powers of discrimination to judge for themselves the merits or otherwise of opinions and beliefs presented to them.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9101017/Academic-who-backed-suicide-bombings-to-speak-on-campus.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Academic who backed suicide bombings to speak on campus

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Cue the lefty twaddle..
on a serious point though, isnt this covered by incitement laws?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Nems Again wrote:Cue the lefty twaddle..
on a serious point though, isnt this covered by incitement laws?

Think it is only incitement if he tells people to go and do something, rather than saying he would do it himself. Some people say that freedom of expression is the most important thing and 'I might not agree with you but I will fight for your right to say it'. Well I don't agree with that anymore, as far as I am concerned those that put forward the idea of hate should be stopped, whichever side they are on. In my view, only by expressing our disgust at their views can real freedom progress. I happen to agree that Israel are doing some bad things in Palastine, but so do some Israelis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Think it is only incitement if he tells people to go and do something, rather than saying he would do it himself. Some people say that freedom of expression is the most important thing and 'I might not agree with you but I will fight for your right to say it'. Well I don't agree with that anymore, as far as I am concerned those that put forward the idea of hate should be stopped, whichever side they are on. In my view, only by expressing our disgust at their views can real freedom progress. I happen to agree that Israel are doing some bad things in Palastine, but so do some Israelis.

I too believe in freedom of speech, but it is clear that these so called academics are radicalising young men born in this country

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Nems Again wrote:

I too believe in freedom of speech, but it is clear that these so called academics are radicalising young men born in this country

They are, and we are very stupid to let it continue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm

In 2004, he claimed sacrificing oneself was a “noble cause” and said he would blow himself up in a strike against Israel he was allowed back in to the country. "It is the straight way to pleasing my God and I would do it if I had the opportunity,” he told the BBC at the time.

Extremists of any kind should not be given the platform on which to voice their hatred and radical views. I think the statement above says it all. If only he could blow himself up without causing anyone else any harm but I doubt that would please his "God". What "God" could be pleased at the killing of innocent people??? Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Feelthelove wrote:In 2004, he claimed sacrificing oneself was a “noble cause” and said he would blow himself up in a strike against Israel he was allowed back in to the country. "It is the straight way to pleasing my God and I would do it if I had the opportunity,” he told the BBC at the time.

Extremists of any kind should not be given the platform on which to voice their hatred and radical views. I think the statement above says it all. If only he could blow himself up without causing anyone else any harm but I doubt that would please his "God". What "God" could be pleased at the killing of innocent people??? Evil or Very Mad

Would we allow Hitler to pontificate his views at a Uni. We would not I hope, so why does not the same rule apply here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Would we allow Hitler to pontificate his views at a Uni. We would not I hope, so why does not the same rule apply here?

You'd hope not wouldn't you Sassy but who knows, I have no idea why this is being allowed. It's beyond my level of understanding No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

You'd hope not wouldn't you Sassy but who knows, I have no idea why this is being allowed. It's beyond my level of understanding No

I don't think it is you with the lack of understand FTL, just those who think they are too clever for good old common sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

I don't think it is you with the lack of understand FTL, just those who think they are too clever for good old common sense.

As you say Sass
Nail - Head!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 pm

They allow this guy to spout his hate filled ideals...yet if the BNP wished to hold a political debate there would be hell let loose.....a very biased idea of freedom of speech methinks......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:06 pm

victorismyhero wrote:They allow this guy to spout his hate filled ideals...yet if the BNP wished to hold a political debate there would be hell let loose.....a very biased idea of freedom of speech methinks......

I agree with that, but then I would stop both of them!

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Me too, but my point is that this shows the bias which our uni's allow....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Me too, but my point is that this shows the bias which our uni's allow....

I agree it does, and its not right, although didn't an NI uni want the Griffon to speak before they changed their minds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

sassy1261 wrote:

I agree it does, and its not right, although didn't an NI uni want the Griffon to speak before they changed their minds.

hello sassy

i think it was trinity college - but they were pressurised by a minority faction to cancel it

not that i give a stuff, but this muslim cleric should also be banned

as you say, it's very biased attitude that freedom of expression seems not to apply to everyone

Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top