Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Education secretary plans curbs on 'authorised absence' and tougher fines for truancy in drive to improve attendance rates.


Michael Gove plans to crack down on parents who take children out of school to go on holiday at times when it is cheaper. Photograph: Chris Radburn/PA

The education secretary, Michael Gove, is to crack down on parents who take children out of school to go on holiday.

Headteachers will lose the ability to sanction up to two weeks a year of "authorised absence" during school term, in a new drive to improve attendance rates, according to the Sunday Telegraph.

The discretionary absence is intended to cover illness, bad weather and bereavements, but many heads come under pressure to grant it so that children can be taken on holidays at times when it is cheaper.

The move, to be accompanied by tougher fines for parents of children who regularly play truant, follows a review of school discipline and attendance by teacher and behaviour expert Charlie Taylor.

It is thought that 4.5m days of schooling are missed by pupils going on holidays, which are often significantly more expensive during school breaks.

Brian Lightman, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders which represents secondary school heads, said: "The discretionary 10 days has become a bit of a cultural expectation with parents viewing it as a right in some cases. It is not. Children only have one chance to get their education right and for schools to do their best for pupils, it is essential that children have good attendance. Parents taking children out to go on holiday just to get a good deal is disruptive and makes life very difficult for teachers."

A Department for Education spokeswoman said: "This is a leak and we are not commenting on a leak."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/feb/19/gove-crack-down-term-holidays

For many families the increase in cost will mean a decision between taking a break or not. Just taking your children out of school for a couple of days before the school holidays can make all the difference Sad

Talk about timing, honestly you have to wonder if the Government has a clue. Times are tough enough, let's hit families even harder Rolling Eyes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:38 pm

You have to wonder if they are secretly campaigning for the Labour Party with some of the drivel they come out with!
What a clueless bunch of numpties. why dont they concentrate on the families who never sent their children to school? no far easier to take the easy target of parents just trying to give their kids a holiday.
Well done call me Dave! what a berk!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Nems Again wrote:You have to wonder if they are secretly campaigning for the Labour Party with some of the drivel they come out with!
What a clueless bunch of numpties. why dont they concentrate on the families who never sent their children to school? no far easier to take the easy target of parents just trying to give their kids a holiday.
Well done call me Dave! what a berk!

There seems to be an ongoing theme where rather than tackle major problems the Government seems to be focusing on minor issues. I can't believe a family taking their children out of school for a few days causes such disruption.

I do have serious concerns about the future, does anyone actually know what they are doing? No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 am

No one near the houses of parliament thats for sure.
All this drivel is diversion because they havent a clue how to tackle the major issues.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 am

This is petty; a few days make very little difference overall. Most kids when I was at school would take a few days or a week during term time. This government is all about focusing on pointless little things- especially Gove, perhaps the Education department simply want to fill newspaper space and distract from big issues like the NHS 'reforms' and failure to solve our economic crisis. Agree with all that has been said Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 am

Education is so important to a child's development. They should NOT be taking time off school during term time. There are too many holidays in the school year as it is. Any parent who condones their child missing schooling for any reason except illness should be hauled before the courts and fined heavily. This couldn't care less attitude by some parents to their child's education is what is turning out kids who cannot read or write properly when they leave school.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am

fred bloggs wrote:Education is so important to a child's development. They should NOT be taking time off school during term time. There are too many holidays in the school year as it is. Any parent who condones their child missing schooling for any reason except illness should be hauled before the courts and fined heavily. This couldn't care less attitude by some parents to their child's education is what is turning out kids who cannot read or write properly when they leave school.

Holiday companies take advantage of set term times Fred to charge extra to families who simply want to take their kids on holiday, as normal families do, without breaking the bank- this is even more so today when money is tights. There are not too many holidays at all imo and whether or not there are dosen't really make any difference. If holiday companies were more reasonable this would not neccessarily be the case.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm

How totally wrong you are Eilzel. Holiday companies Do NOT take advantage of set term times to increase charges. Those ARE the correct prices for the holiday. What you are being confused by is that the holiday companies discount holidays to extend the holiday season at quiet times to allow those who don't need to holiday in peak season and do not want to holiday when the resorts are full of kids to enjoy a quieter time when on holiday. Parents with kids can always obtain budget holidays to suit their purse when the schools are on holiday.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 pm

I can't see a problem with parents taking their children out of school for a few days to have a holiday. Responsible parents would make sure that their children catch up.

How could this majorly disrupt a child's development resulting in them leaving school unable to read and write? This should have been identified as a significant issue with those children receiving the necessary help, both educational and parental.

There are so many important issues at the moment which need to be tackled. It feels to me at least that the Government is aware but then focuses in on a small part of that issue which at the end of the day will make very little difference other than cause hardship to ordinary people.
Absolutely clueless

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Of course the kids can have a holiday FTL - They get about 13 weeks off school a year for holidays. -Kids need all the education they can get. Sensible people do NOT encourage their kids to plug the school. At least not where I live. It might be all right and perfectly acceptable in the loony lefty South of England, but it is not right and recognised as such in the rest of England, and the UK in general. You are setting a bad example - no wonder some kids don't want to work, don't want to apply themselves and think the world owes them a living when their parents encourage them to be shirkers.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Of course the kids can have a holiday FTL - They get about 13 weeks off school a year for holidays. -Kids need all the education they can get. Sensible people do NOT encourage their kids to plug the school. At least not where I live. It might be all right and perfectly acceptable in the loony lefty South of England, but it is not right and recognised as such in the rest of England, and the UK in general. You are setting a bad example - no wonder some kids don't want to work, don't want to apply themselves and think the world owes them a living when their parents encourage them to be shirkers.

Good Evening Fred,

I think you are taking my comments out of context as you know my views regarding these issues No

A couple of extra days holiday is not encouraging children to live a life on benefits and to think the world owes them a living. This is a minor issue in comparison and that is my point. Major issues are tackling truancy, poor parenting, lack of respect for teachers and elders, families living a lifetime on benefits, having goodness knows how many kids without anyway in which to pay for their upbringing, gangs, drugs, sex and that's just the start Twisted Evil


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 pm

As we both have slightly opposing views on the subject and to continue could cause a slight animosity, something I'm sure neither of us would ever countenance as it is not in our nature , I propose we agree to disagree on this subject. ---- However if any others want to debate the subject at length I would be happy to oblige.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:18 pm

fred bloggs wrote:As we both have slightly opposing views on the subject and to continue could cause a slight animosity, something I'm sure neither of us would ever countenance as it is not in our nature , I propose we agree to disagree on this subject. ---- However if any others want to debate the subject at length I would be happy to oblige.

Are you giving up Fred? Wink x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Are you giving up Fred? Wink x

Of course NOT, I was being a perfect gentleman and giving you an out before I ultimately win.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Good Evening Fred,

I think you are taking my comments out of context as you know my views regarding these issues No

A couple of extra days holiday is not encouraging children to live a life on benefits and to think the world owes them a living. This is a minor issue in comparison and that is my point. Major issues are tackling truancy, poor parenting, lack of respect for teachers and elders, families living a lifetime on benefits, having goodness knows how many kids without anyway in which to pay for their upbringing, gangs, drugs, sex and that's just the start Twisted Evil


Such drivel is just diversion and spin from the government incapable of tackling the major issues.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 am

fred bloggs wrote:

Of course NOT, I was being a perfect gentleman and giving you an out before I ultimately win.

lol! Ohh I love a challenge! Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Could be fun FTL. Now let me see where we were.
My opinion is that no child should be encouraged by their parents to skip school and miss out on education during term time unless for illness or family emergencies. This is also deemed to be against the law.
- To do so means that the child is encouraged to have no respect for the law. Because their parents say:- "It's OK some laws can be broken if you feel like it".



Your opinion would appear to be that it's OK for parents to encourage the child to break the law.
I could see a bit of relevance in your argument if the children only had a couple of weeks off school per annum.-- They have over 12 weeks a year holiday from attending school approximately 6 of those weeks during the summer. --Your argument, that kids don't have enough time to go on holiday is, dare I say it, nonsense. As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits your income.


Over to you FTL.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:10 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Could be fun FTL. Now let me see where we were.
My opinion is that no child should be encouraged by their parents to skip school and miss out on education during term time unless for illness or family emergencies. This is also deemed to be against the law.
- To do so means that the child is encouraged to have no respect for the law. Because their parents say:- "It's OK some laws can be broken if you feel like it".

Your opinion would appear to be that it's OK for parents to encourage the child to break the law.
I could see a bit of relevance in your argument if the children only had a couple of weeks off school per annum.-- They have over 12 weeks a year holiday from attending school approximately 6 of those weeks during the summer. --Your argument, that kids don't have enough time to go on holiday is, dare I say it, nonsense. As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits your income.


Over to you FTL.

What have I done Fred affraid lol!

My argument? :

"that kids don't have enough time to go on holiday is, dare I say it, nonsense."

Don't think I said that but feel free to prove me wrong Very Happy

"As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits your income."

Everybody's pocket? Well yes, I guess there is I can't really argue against that but for many that would mean a holiday at home - you win! Well that part of the debate at least Wink

I can't see how a couple of extra days would make a huge difference to be honest. I wouldn't agree that parents should take their kids out for a couple of weeks whatever their age. Young children who are not studying for exams, a couple of days out? Do you really think it would make such a difference long term? scratch

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Good evening FTL, Thank you for your considered and intelectual reply. I will elaborate on the points if you wish. Where you say - Your quote :- " I can't see how a couple of extra days would make a huge difference to be honest " My reply would be - Parents encouraging their kids to abscond from their schooling for two days OR two weeks is the same crime. The parent is effectively telling their kid - "It's OK some laws can be broken if you feel like it".

On the other point where you said that children may not be able to have any holidays, your implication being that there was insufficient cash for the family to holiday during the long school holidays. My view was, as you know, My Quote :- As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits your income."

It is good debating with someone who is polite and of high intelligence like yourself as there is no chance that any debate between us would degenerate into a slanging match. Pity others were not like you.

Over to you :-

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Good evening FTL, Thank you for your considered and intelectual reply. I will elaborate on the points if you wish. Where you say - Your quote :- " I can't see how a couple of extra days would make a huge difference to be honest " My reply would be - Parents encouraging their kids to abscond from their schooling for two days OR two weeks is the same crime. The parent is effectively telling their kid - "It's OK some laws can be broken if you feel like it".

On the other point where you said that children may not be able to have any holidays, your implication being that there was insufficient cash for the family to holiday during the long school holidays. My view was, as you know, My Quote :- As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits your income."

It is good debating with someone who is polite and of high intelligence like yourself as there is no chance that any debate between us would degenerate into a slanging match. Pity others were not like you.

Over to you :-

Thank you for your reply Fred cheers

I do understand your point, 2 days, 2 weeks where is the difference? However, I also think that there is much to be learnt outside of the educational environment. Travel, experience, history, culture, language for example Question

I like to debate with you too Fred, debate doesn't mean we have to resort to a slanging match. I would ask that we stick to the topic going forward? I wouldn't want you distracting me Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Ah shucks FTL you have a very good turn of phrase. I also agree that there is much to be learned outside the school environment. The items you listed " Travel, experience, history, culture, language for example " are the ones which can be shared between parents and child as they go about their normal family life. Even travel to the local country park with their parents is educational in so many levels. You have been coy however about addressing the second paragraph of my previous post, the one starting with "On the other point" I am interested to hear your side of those points.

I'm glad we both agree that our debates are and will be good natured, considerate and polite.


We will leave the nastiness and slanging matches to others.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Sounds like a good idea Fred

On the other point where you said that children may not be able to have any holidays, your implication being that there was insufficient cash for the family to holiday during the long school holidays. My view was, as you know, My Quote :- As far as expense is concerned, there are holidays available during the summer months to suit everybody's pocket, it's just a matter of choosing one which suits

I take you you are thinking about something like this Fred?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/competitions/promotions/99days/2062017/950-holidays-2012.html

Not available in August though......... No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Not what I envisaged FTL. Looks iffy!!! There's an old saying, "you get nought for nought and if it looks too good to be true it probably is" . In life everybody should be looking for value for money and going for the best that they can afford. So as in all walks of life, holidays, like everything else, should be planned, according to what you can afford. Always making sure that what you are doing is legal and within the law. - Fred

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Not what I envisaged FTL. Looks iffy!!! There's an old saying, "you get nought for nought and if it looks too good to be true it probably is" . In life everybody should be looking for value for money and going for the best that they can afford. So as in all walks of life, holidays, like everything else, should be planned, according to what you can afford. Always making sure that what you are doing is legal and within the law. - Fred

Good Afternoon Fred Very Happy
Very sensible. I do know some people who have been on the Sun holidays and have enjoyed them lol!

Not my cup of tea. I'm more of a 5 star Caribbean holiday kind of girl myself! Certainly nowhere without proper washing and toilet facilities

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 pm

As we seem to be digressing from the original debate FTL shall we wind it up and start on a new one ?. Regards Fred

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gove to crack down on term-time holidays

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum