'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

It "isn't acceptable" that the UK cannot deport radical cleric Abu Qatada to Jordan, the home secretary has said.

Theresa May told MPs the government was "considering all legal options" open to it - including referring the case to the European Court's grand chamber.

Abu Qatada is due to be released on bail, after the European Court of Human Rights ruled he could not be deported. The UK is still negotiating with Jordan to get assurances that will satisfy the court he can be deported. A Downing Street spokeswoman has said it is "not the end of the road" for the case.

In a Commons statement prompted by an "urgent question" from Labour, Mrs May told MPs that Abu Qatada posed a "serious" risk to Britain's national security - and successive governments, since 2001, had tried to deport him.

'Disagrees vehemently'

The House of Lords had agreed he could be deported - but despite that, the European Court of Human Rights had ruled against his deportation, on the grounds it would violate his right to a fair trial.

"I hardly need to tell the House that the government disagrees vehemently with Strasbourg's ruling," she said. "It is simply isn't acceptable, that after guarantees from the Jordanians about his treatment, after British courts have found that he is dangerous, after his removal has been approved by the highest courts in our land, we still cannot deport dangerous foreign nationals."

She added: "The right place for a terrorist is a prison cell. The right place for a foreign terrorist is a foreign prison cell far away from Britain."

The government was also working hard to try to get assurances from Jordan that would satisfy the European Court that Abu Qatada could be deported, she said. For Labour, shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said the government should be "straining every sinew" on behalf of the public to deport the preacher.

"And if she can't, she should make sure that we now have the legislation and the safeguards in place to protect the public now," she added.

She accused the government of weakening counter-terrorism measures, by replacing control orders with T-Pims. She said they could only offer restrictions that were a "far cry" from the strict bail conditions on Abu Qatada, which could be revoked in three months.

Some MPs murmured "disgraceful" as Mrs May said the European court had blocked Abu Qatada's deportation - and several Conservative backbenchers suggested Britain should suspend its membership of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Tory MP Mark Pritchard said the ruling was "undermining British justice and national security". Phillip Davies said it was a "pathetic, humiliating situation" that the government found itself in.

Mrs May said the government's efforts, as the current president of the European Council, were best spent trying to reform the way the European Court worked.

She said however strict the stringent bail conditions on the preacher - "I continue to believe Qatada should remain behind bars".

On Monday, the president of the UK's Special Immigration Appeals Commission Mr Justice Mitting ruled the Islamist cleric should be freed within days, on strict bail conditions, because his deportation had been blocked by the European Court of Human Rights (EHCR).

Mr Justice Mitting gave the home secretary three months to show that British diplomats had made progress on a new deal with Jordan, after which the stringent bail conditions could be revoked.

Abu Qatada, 51, whose real name is Omar Othman, is one of the most influential Islamist clerics in Europe, supporting jihadist causes. British judges have described him as "truly dangerous".

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said the cleric was seen as someone who provided religious legitimacy for acts of violence; the view was that his influence is felt around the world - but he had been careful not to break any UK laws himself.

On Monday, the preacher's lawyer said his client had been held for six-and-a-half years while fighting deportation "against a background of almost nine years' detention without charges on the grounds of national security".

The cleric will be released within a week from Long Lartin prison, in Worcestershire, and taken to an address in London - which will have been pre-assessed by MI5.

Conditions include him only being allowed to leave the address for two one-hour periods a day, restrictions on who can visit him, and a ban on access to the internet or electronic communications devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16923527

Totally agree, this is not what the European Court of Human Rights should be about No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Nems Again on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:29 am

They are so worried about his human rights? Send him to live in Strasbourg, let them have him

Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Points : 3582
Reputation : 111
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 am

And yet the Labour party signed the Human rights act withinn days of getting into power despite being warned that this would be the consequence. The Liberal party is still 100% in favour of it despite this being a regular occurence.



This is a complete disregard for the safety of our citizens on the part of our MPs and European judges and flies in the face of common sense and justice.



In 10 years time we shall look back on this period in awe an will shake out heads saying"What on Earth were the thinking"?



Personally I would rather our govt rearrest him take him to an airport and fly him to Jordan and be damned with the consequences.

Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Nems Again on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am

H20 wrote:And yet the Labour party signed the Human rights act withinn days of getting into power despite being warned that this would be the consequence. The Liberal party is still 100% in favour of it despite this being a regular occurence.



This is a complete disregard for the safety of our citizens on the part of our MPs and European judges and flies in the face of common sense and justice.



In 10 years time we shall look back on this period in awe an will shake out heads saying"What on Earth were the thinking"?



Personally I would rather our govt rearrest him take him to an airport and fly him to Jordan and be damned with the consequences.

It was purely coincidental that the prime minister's wife was a human rights lawyer.

Totally agree with your last sentence.

Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Points : 3582
Reputation : 111
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by dreamtime on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 pm

It is totally beyond comprehension that such a criminal is still in this country because of the spoutings of unelected judges in a foreign country. Could anyone imagine this happening whilst the Iron Lady was in power? No, neither could I. It is beyond time that DC did something about his Europhile wishy-washy Lib Dem partners. he should point out forcibly that in the latest polls the Lib Dems had a wonderful 6% of people supporting them. If an election was called they would be lucky to end up with a dozen seats. If only DC had the balls to call a snap election he would end up with a true Conservative government with the opportunity to put through all those measures which the Lib Dems are currently opposing.

dreamtime
Forum Member

Posts : 71
Points : 123
Reputation : 8
Join date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Blame Liebour, it was they who acted as traitors and sold us out to Germany and the rest of the corrupt bunch in europe. It is strange and a bit laughable to see the bleatings of the loony left now that they realise that Nu Liebour was so corrupt. Should have thought of that before keeping them in power for the disasterous 13 years. the loony left only have themselves to blame for this ruling.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:09 pm

What really gets me is 14 years on and Clegg would sign it all over again. He is so wedded to the European project that no end of terrorist would get him to change his or for that matter the majority of Liberal minds.



That bit I just don't understand. There argument is Human rights are indivisible which they then go onto interpret as being a terrorist life even if it risks innocents must still take precedence.


One musn't get in the way of a terrorist inalienable human right to kill innocents might be another way of saying it.



Like I said 10 years time and historians will nervously laugh at mans stupidity. I might add Eilzel as a Europhile yourself you are strangely quiet on this one as is the Europhile Daily AKA The Guardian.


Last edited by H20 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Bangs head on wall!!!!

Why cant we? Seriously HE WASNT BORN HETE WE DONT OWE HIM CRAP!


SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1136
Points : 964
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Nems Again on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

Bangs head on wall!!!!

Why cant we? Seriously HE WASNT BORN HETE WE DONT OWE HIM CRAP!


Evening gorgeous, seems so simple to us non-intellectuals doesn't it?!

Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Points : 3582
Reputation : 111
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Nems Again wrote:

Evening gorgeous, seems so simple to us non-intellectuals doesn't it?!

Doesn't take much does it. I get the bit about evidence obtained by torture, because it my eyes its worthless, people will say anything to stop pain. However, he's not our, has not asked for political asylum, what the hell are the judges doing!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Nems Again wrote:

Evening gorgeous, seems so simple to us non-intellectuals doesn't it?!

Evening Flower flower

It does indeed! Shocked

SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1136
Points : 964
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Nems Again on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Doesn't take much does it. I get the bit about evidence obtained by torture, because it my eyes its worthless, people will say anything to stop pain. However, he's not our, has not asked for political asylum, what the hell are the judges doing!

Still seeing the world from their ivory towers it seems

Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Points : 3582
Reputation : 111
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Doesn't take much does it. I get the bit about evidence obtained by torture, because it my eyes its worthless, people will say anything to stop pain. However, he's not our, has not asked for political asylum, what the hell are the judges doing!

As i said hes not born here!

Character Character

SEXY MAMA
Enigma
Enigma

Posts : 1136
Points : 964
Reputation : 28
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 43
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 am

Isn't it a pity that someone in the criminal fraternity can't attack this man instead of some innocent. They could go from zero to hero in an instant.



Moreover the Crown could demonstrate that we would be sending him abroad for his own safety and protection!!!! Ha!

Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm

H20 wrote:Isn't it a pity that someone in the criminal fraternity can't attack this man instead of some innocent. They could go from zero to hero in an instant.



Moreover the Crown could demonstrate that we would be sending him abroad for his own safety and protection!!!! Ha!


There are no problems, only solutions

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Abu Qatada banned from school run

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:30 am

Abu Qatada will be banned from taking his youngest child to school when he is released from prison today.


Abu Qatada will be banned from taking his youngest child to school when is released from prison

In a victory for the Government, a court has ruled that the preacher’s hours under curfew will not allow him out at school opening and closing times.

Under the terms of his release, the cleric - described as Osama Bin Laden’s ambassador in Europe – must obey a 22-hour curfew, wear and electronic tag and is banned from using the internet and telephone.

The Home Office went to court on Friday to obtain an order to ensure that his hours of freedom would not allow him to take his youngest son to and from school. A senior legal source told the Daily Mail: “The court came back and said the Home Office request was fine. Abu Qatada won’t be able to do the school run.”

The disclosure comes as ministers resort to a change in tactics to see Qatada deported to Jordan amid anger that the taxpayer will have to fund up to £10,000 a week to help protect Qatada from vigilante attacks once he is released.

James Brokenshire, the security minister, was due to fly to Jordan today in an urgent bid to gain necessary assurances that will allow the UK to deport Qatada.

He won bail after the European Court of Human Rights said he could not be returned to Jordan, where he has been convicted of terror offences in his absence, because he will not get a fair retrial amid concerns evidence to be used against him was obtained by torture. The UK Government is seeking guarantees such evidence will not be used and he would face a fair trial.

Qatada, who the courts have described as a “dangerous risk”, is expected to be released from custody today after a judge granted him bail. Despite strict bail conditions, he will have unrestricted access to his family and there was growing concern last night that he could now radicalise his teenage son.

His son Qatada Othman could complete an “apprenticeship in terror” once his father is released, an MP warned, after it emerged he has already mixed with extremists. The 18-year-old, shared a platform with radicals to accuse the West of “waging war” on Muslims and attacked the UK for locking up his father without charge.

His security monitoring is likely to cost more than half a million pounds a year and critics said that was as much to protect him as to protect the public from him.

A YouGov poll yesterday found seven in ten people thought Qatada should be deported regardless of whether he can be guaranteed a fair trial.

Once Qatada is released he will be restricted on who he can meet, with the exception of his immediate family. It has led to concerns over the influence he may now wield on his children.

It has emerged that last summer Qatada Othman spoke at an event outside Belmarsh high security prison in south east London. He spoke in fluent Arabic and appeared to support “places of Jihad” around the world and said the UK was not his “abode or home, even though he family have lived off benefits here from almost two decades.

Other speakers at the event included Abu Izzadeen, also known as Omar Brooks, who was jailed for four and a half years in 2008 for inciting terrorism abroad and terrorist fund-raising,. He later had his sentence reduced by a year on appeal.

Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP, said: “Qatada Othman is only 18 but seems to be going through an apprenticeship in terror. It is a very fair bet that whatever happens to his father we will have similar problems with his son. The bail conditions make no provision for members of his family meaning young Qatada will be even further alienated by his father’s views.”

Peter Bone, another Conservative backbencher, added: “I am concerned about every aspect of this (Abu Qatada) case and he could radicalise his immediate family.”

Othman could not be contacted for a comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9078442/Abu-Qatada-banned-from-school-run.html



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 am

Oh FGS!!!!!! When will judges be issued brains as a prerequisite of taking office!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Just answer me one question please? Why the hell are WE paying to protect him from vigilantes? Perhaps if he felt his life was in danger he might prefer the alternative No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:13 pm

If he hates this place so much, why should we pay to protect him, let him protect himself.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:59 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Doesn't take much does it. I get the bit about evidence obtained by torture, because it my eyes its worthless, people will say anything to stop pain. However, he's not our, has not asked for political asylum, what the hell are the judges doing!



I read an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday firm;y in favour of the Liberal line we should keep him here. As a Liberal Sassy or so you say you are part of the prroblem. It is the Liberals who are firmly against deporting him. It even discussed the ideas from some Tories we simply drive him to an airport and put two fingers up to the EU. It was dead aganst it and called the |Tories vile creatures for saying so. You need to get your crib sheet out Sassy your not on the sanme page.



Still I never met a Liberal when I was active in Politics who couldn't face two way simultaneously and you are one of the best dear lady.

Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Again Drinky that is only on the assumption that anyone who proffesses a particular political allegiance MUST be responsible or support all the views and policies of a particular party.

I am Liberal too, like Sassy I don't support much of what the Liberal Democrats do thesedays as a political party; frankly they are far too blue for my liking and are nothing like the party I thought I was voting for.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Drinky wrote:



I read an interesting article in the Guardian yesterday firm;y in favour of the Liberal line we should keep him here. As a Liberal Sassy or so you say you are part of the prroblem. It is the Liberals who are firmly against deporting him. It even discussed the ideas from some Tories we simply drive him to an airport and put two fingers up to the EU. It was dead aganst it and called the |Tories vile creatures for saying so. You need to get your crib sheet out Sassy your not on the sanme page.



Still I never met a Liberal when I was active in Politics who couldn't face two way simultaneously and you are one of the best dear lady.

That is the very last time you are rude to me without it being deleted.

GET YOUR GLASSES OUT AS YOU SEEM TO BE BLIND I WILL WRITE IT IN CAPITALS.

I AM NOT A LIB DEM, I DON'T SUPPORT THEM, I AM A LIBERAL AND THEY DON'T EXIST ANYMORE. AND IF YOU BOTHERED TO READ MY POSTS ABOVE I CONDEMNED THE FACT HE IS BEING FREED.

There really is something very wrong with people who feel the need to continuously spout the same old insults and cannot debate in a grown up manner. In children its excuseable, grown ups who can't manage it obviously have an intellectual and emotional problem.

The only conclusion I can draw if you continue is that you have an emotional need to try and feel big and can't stop.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm

eilzel wrote:Again Drinky that is only on the assumption that anyone who proffesses a particular political allegiance MUST be responsible or support all the views and policies of a particular party.

I am Liberal too, like Sassy I don't support much of what the Liberal Democrats do thesedays as a political party; frankly they are far too blue for my liking and are nothing like the party I thought I was voting for.
There is absolutely nothing blue about liberal policy re Europe.

There is nothing blue about tax and spend either. It shows just how left wing you are that you think their position is right of centre. You actually made me laugh out loud with that response.

As an indicator why else are we tories so pissed off with the liberals calling the shots. Really you are,so left wing on here you have lost the plot re balance.

Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Drinky on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

That is the very last time you are rude to me without it being deleted.

GET YOUR GLASSES OUT AS YOU SEEM TO BE BLIND I WILL WRITE IT IN CAPITALS.

I AM NOT A LIB DEM, I DON'T SUPPORT THEM, I AM A LIBERAL AND THEY DON'T EXIST ANYMORE. AND IF YOU BOTHERED TO READ MY POSTS ABOVE I CONDEMNED THE FACT HE IS BEING FREED.

There really is something very wrong with people who feel the need to continuously spout the same old insults and cannot debate in a grown up manner. In children its excuseable, grown ups who can't manage it obviously have an intellectual and emotional problem.

The only conclusion I can draw if you continue is that you have an emotional need to try and feel big and can't stop.




Let me remind yiu you were defending the EU like a gooden the other day. When you can't you feign standjng back with disapproval. I have seen liberals do that day in day out when I worked for the council.

As for deleting my posts my response is


1. As a commited lefty like the sovietv union censorship is meat and drink to you.

2. I personally couldnt care less. This forum isnt the only one you know and you cant censor me everywhere.

3. The comment re your duplicity hit home. Clearly it has some resonance with you.

Finally the majority liberal opinion is we shouldnt deport. The Tory view deport the bastard. That is the view of anyone with common sense. However you call the tories every chance you get, so work it out why I see that as duplicitous.


Drinky
Senior Member

Posts : 1123
Points : 2217
Reputation : 39
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Drinky wrote:




Let me remind yiu you were defending the EU like a gooden the other day. When you can't you feign standjng back with disapproval. I have seen liberals do that day in day out when I worked for the council.

As for deleting my posts my response is


1. As a commited lefty like the sovietv union censorship is meat and drink to you.

2. I personally couldnt care less. This forum isnt the only one you know and you cant censor me everywhere.

3. The comment re your duplicity hit home. Clearly it has some resonance with you.

Finally the majority liberal opinion is we shouldnt deport. The Tory view deport the bastard. That is the view of anyone with common sense. However you call the tories every chance you get, so work it out why I see that as duplicitous.


Hit home, how very silly of you. Annoyed yes, not at the duplicious bit, that just made me laugh. Annoyed at the fact that I have told you so many times I am not Lib Dem and you don't seem to have the slightest idea what old fashioned liberalism was. One of the great things about it was that it was pragmatic and based on common sense, and from a common sense point of view it is stupid not to deport this man. Yes, I do call the Tories every chance I get and will continue to do so, because I think they are destroying this country and all the pointers are that I am right. Don't you think it rather hypercritical that you point out every Labour problem every chance you get (and I point out what I think was wrong with them as well) but we are not supposed to mention what we find wrong with Tory policy. I will continue to call them, because they are wrong and don't care a jot for anyone under the upper middle class, and they give me every opportunity to do so. I will delete your rudeness to me, not your posts, I never have deleted opinion, just abuse. Finally I agree with having an EU because I think people are stronger working together, that does not mean I agree with everything they do. You seem unable to grasp the thinking behind that, obviously in your view if you support a wider theory you must support everything to do with it. Rather a narrow concept. Its like saying if you believe in God then you must agree with everything every faith does, because they believe in God as well.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Unacceptable' UK can't deport Abu Qatada - Theresa May

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum