Teen Lied About Age To Go And Fight Taliban

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Teen Lied About Age To Go And Fight Taliban

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm

About 9,000 British troops are currently deployed in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province (file)

A 17-year-old recruit fought the Taliban in southern Afghanistan for six weeks after army checks failed to spot he was too young to serve on the front line.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed that Adam Wilkie was three months short of the minimum age of 18 when he was sent to Helmand province.

An Army spokesman said: "The fact that an individual aged 17 years and nine months was sent to an operational theatre is regrettable, and goes against stated MoD policy. Our processes are robust and this extremely rare situation was down to human error. The Army has taken action to try to ensure that this does not happen again."

Despite being too young to drink, get a tattoo or get married without his parents' permission, the Kingsman in Second Battalion the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment reportedly served with courage in the volatile province.

"The lad was just desperate to get out there and prove himself. He knew he was under age," The Sun newspaper quoted sources as saying. "He proved himself worthy of the regiment's nickname the Lions of England."

Mr Wilkie was stationed in Cyprus with the Theatre Reserve Battalion, which is kept on standby to reinforce troops in Helmand, when he was mistakenly allowed to travel to Afghanistan in 2010.

Nearly 400 British military and civilian personnel have been killed in Helmand since the conflict began in 2001. About 9,000 British troops are currently stationed in the province.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16156982

Brave lad affraid

Back to top Go down

Re: Teen Lied About Age To Go And Fight Taliban

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm not really sure FTL. We don't want underage people fighting, and would he have really known what he was getting into at that age. People are saying he is brave, and maybe he is, but I am more angry that the army messed up and allowed someone so young in a war zone. Its bad enough when they are only 18.

He obviously doesn't have parents to point out his age, or surely they would have done so, so perhaps he thinks of the army as family and was trying to prove himself, and I think putting his life on the line to do so is incredibly sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 am

sassy1261 wrote:I'm not really sure FTL. We don't want underage people fighting, and would he have really known what he was getting into at that age. People are saying he is brave, and maybe he is, but I am more angry that the army messed up and allowed someone so young in a war zone. Its bad enough when they are only 18.

He obviously doesn't have parents to point out his age, or surely they would have done so, so perhaps he thinks of the army as family and was trying to prove himself, and I think putting his life on the line to do so is incredibly sad.

Hi Sassy I love you x

Yes, of course the army should have made sure that an underage soldier was protected and as you know I don't believe any of our service men and women should be in Afghanistan No

We don't know the full circumstances but it seems to be that the boy wanted to do the job he'd been trained to do. Are you saying you think that he felt under pressure from the army to prove himself? I would imagine that you do look upon your colleagues as family in the army, it's probably what gets you through it affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Hi Sassy I love you x

Yes, of course the army should have made sure that an underage soldier was protected and as you know I don't believe any of our service men and women should be in Afghanistan No

We don't know the full circumstances but it seems to be that the boy wanted to do the job he'd been trained to do. Are you saying you think that he felt under pressure from the army to prove himself? I would imagine that you do look upon your colleagues as family in the army, it's probably what gets you through it affraid

I don't think the army pressurised him. You know when you love your Mum and Dad to bits and you want to do your very best for them? Well, if he had no parents, and thought of the army as his family, then perhaps he put himself under pressure to do it, to prove he was doing his very best. If he had no family, then the army should have been twice as vigalent in looking after him, as they would almost be in locum parentis. I could be totally wrong, he could have parents, but I would have thought if he did, they would have kicked up a stink when he was going to be sent to a war zone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

I don't think the army pressurised him. You know when you love your Mum and Dad to bits and you want to do your very best for them? Well, if he had no parents, and thought of the army as his family, then perhaps he put himself under pressure to do it, to prove he was doing his very best. If he had no family, then the army should have been twice as vigalent in looking after him, as they would almost be in locum parentis. I could be totally wrong, he could have parents, but I would have thought if he did, they would have kicked up a stink when he was going to be sent to a war zone.

Yes, that's what I thought Sassy, it was probably him putting pressure on himself. It's clearly very important to him. We don't know the reasons why, he might come from a military family for example or is someone who is just very ambitious and looking to have a very successful career.

There is no question that the army should have protected him, human error it seems Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top