Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Britain's growing foreign aid budget can do as much for national security as the Army, Navy and RAF, says Andrew Mitchell, the International Development Secretary.


Andrew Mitchell announced more British aid money for irrigation projects this week

Spending on projects such as getting more girls into school in Somalia “contributes directly to our security” and should be a source of national pride like the Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee, he said in an interview while on a visit to Nepal.

Even as most Government departments’ budgets are being cut, aid spending is rising by more than a third to almost £11billion in 2014-15 as the Coalition aims for a United Nations target of 0.7 per cent of GDP. The aid pledge is controversial among some Conservatives, who say the money would be better spent at home.

Mr Mitchell accepted that a smaller aid budget might have meant fewer cuts elsewhere, but insisted that development projects also helped protect Britain. “Our security is not just provided by soldiers and tanks and fighter jets, it is also provided by training the police in Afghanistan, by building up governance structures in the Middle East and by getting girls into school in the Horn of Africa,” he said. “Those things are all part of what makes us safer.”

Mr Mitchell conceded that the “difficult” outlook made the aid budget harder to sell to voters, but said Britons should take pride in helping those people living in poverty.

“In a year when we have the Diamond Jubilee and when Britain is hosting the Olympics, people should and can feel great pride in the way in which Britain is a force around the world projecting these values, respected for the way in which we carry out this work.”

Critics of aid spending say too much development cash is stolen by corrupt politicians and officials in poor countries and Mr Mitchell admitted that corruption was “the cancer around development”.

The minister also cautioned Conservatives against writing off Ed Miliband, who has faced questions about his performance as Labour leader. “He is exploring some interesting issues which will at the least keep us on our toes,” he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9029330/Foreign-aid-keeps-us-safe-insists-Andrew-Mitchell.html


Ahhh I see, that's why we do it......................................

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:24 am

The concept of bribery is totally wrong. All so called foreign aid should be stopped NOW. The UK is being used as a cash cow by corrupt foreign officials who line their own pockets and stop the aid going to the poor people, where it was intended. This needs to be stopped. We should use this 100 Billion pounds a year instead to plough into our own NHS and to look after those in this country who need our help. .

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:18 pm

fred bloggs wrote:The concept of bribery is totally wrong. All so called foreign aid should be stopped NOW. The UK is being used as a cash cow by corrupt foreign officials who line their own pockets and stop the aid going to the poor people, where it was intended. This needs to be stopped. We should use this 100 Billion pounds a year instead to plough into our own NHS and to look after those in this country who need our help. .

Absolutely and totally correct, have a snotty coloured stripe
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Any aid we give should be through charities that can show it gets used correctly. Water Aid works on the ground to ensure water supplies and it does not go to Governments, Save the Children can show where all their money goes, don't know about the others, but just handing over to corrupt governments is madness.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm

sassy1261 wrote:Any aid we give should be through charities that can show it gets used correctly. Water Aid works on the ground to ensure water supplies and it does not go to Governments, Save the Children can show where all their money goes, don't know about the others, but just handing over to corrupt governments is madness.

We dont seem to be able to get politicians to grasp that simple fact, they are too spineless and scared of being labelled racist
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Nems Again wrote:

We dont seem to be able to get politicians to grasp that simple fact, they are too spineless and scared of being labelled racist

To be honest I'm not sure that they have a clue what they are doing Nems No

Off for a bit, be back later I love you x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

To be honest I'm not sure that they have a clue what they are doing Nems No

Off for a bit, be back later I love you x

ok flower x
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by tom sawyer on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:45 pm


I think they should stop giving money, i would sooner see work being
carried out like water and sewage etc at least then we would see where our money goes. and it would help the people who really need it.
and come to think of it it would create a few jobs here to work over there.
avatar
tom sawyer
Established Member

Posts : 442
Join date : 2011-10-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:50 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
I think they should stop giving money, i would sooner see work being
carried out like water and sewage etc at least then we would see where our money goes. and it would help the people who really need it.
and come to think of it it would create a few jobs here to work over there.

Good points Tom, God knows we have slung enough money at it to no effect
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:36 pm

I think most of us feel the same way. We're all sick to the back teeth of seeing our money go to waste. IF we're going to give foreign aid we want to see it making a difference, particularly in these tough times Sad

We've done our bit in terms of helping others, almost certainly too much. Charity should begin at home when so many are suffering job losses and real poverty.

We can't seem to take care of our own at the moment let alone others No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 am

Feelthelove wrote:I think most of us feel the same way. We're all sick to the back teeth of seeing our money go to waste. IF we're going to give foreign aid we want to see it making a difference, particularly in these tough times Sad

We've done our bit in terms of helping others, almost certainly too much. Charity should begin at home when so many are suffering job losses and real poverty.

We can't seem to take care of our own at the moment let alone others No

Thats how many feel at the moment FTL
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Nems Again wrote:

Thats how many feel at the moment FTL

Yes I agree too on this point. We need to help this country first to be in a better shape. Then when we are stronger we can help other countries.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:29 pm

David1 wrote:

Yes I agree too on this point. We need to help this country first to be in a better shape. Then when we are stronger we can help other countries.

Agree, although I think people who are giving to charities that have been shown to work should not stop.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Agree, although I think people who are giving to charities that have been shown to work should not stop.

It shouldnt, but I really struggle with the concept of foreign aid at the moment, we have too much need here at home and the fact that foreign aid policy is so ineffective, all we have done is prop up dictatorships and reward the corrupt. It seems the people suffer whether or not we send money.
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Nems Again wrote:

It shouldnt, but I really struggle with the concept of foreign aid at the moment, we have too much need here at home and the fact that foreign aid policy is so ineffective, all we have done is prop up dictatorships and reward the corrupt. It seems the people suffer whether or not we send money.

Totally agree Nems. I don't know what the answer might be but throwing more money at it clearly isn't working. I'd rather the aid was spent finding a long term solution to be honest.

Times are very tough here at the moment, we have to resolve our own issues before we continue interfering in other's affairs. I don't mean only in terms of aid either No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Foreign aid keeps us safe, insists Andrew Mitchell

Post by Nems Again on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Totally agree Nems. I don't know what the answer might be but throwing more money at it clearly isn't working. I'd rather the aid was spent finding a long term solution to be honest.

Times are very tough here at the moment, we have to resolve our own issues before we continue interfering in other's affairs. I don't mean only in terms of aid either No

I agree, the time has come for us to stop thinking we have to solve the worlds problems.
avatar
Nems Again
Witch Weatherwax
Witch Weatherwax

Posts : 3261
Join date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum