Daylight saving bill scuppered by small group of MPs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daylight saving bill scuppered by small group of MPs

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 pm

MPs were concerned that moving UK clocks forward one hour would agitate people in Scotland worried about darker mornings.

A sheep farmer near Loch Lomond. MPs fearer colder, darker mornings would agitate people in Scotland. Photograph: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images

Campaigners hoping to get UK clocks moved forward by an hour all year round accused a small group of MPs of dashing their hopes by talking a private member's bill out of time in the House of Commons on Friday.

The government made clear it would find no extra time in the current parliament for the daylight saving bill despite ministers having backed Rebecca Harris, the Conservative MP for Castle Point, Essex, in her call for a review of the pros and cons of a change. Supporters claimed the time change would cut road deaths and energy use and boost jobs and tourism.

Harris told the Guardian the process had been "incredibly frustrating", adding: "The clear will of the House was for the bill to proceed. It had amazing cross-party support and amazing support out in the country. I had hoped there would be a "what's not to like" aspect of this, simply to ensure we had a really good quality review and something we could then have a debate on."

Harris's bill would have commissioned a detailed study into the costs and benefits of moving the clocks forward to Greenwich Mean Time plus one hour in the winter (GMT +1) and GMT +2 in the summer, with a possible three-year trial. A core group of 10 MPs combined to scupper the bill, complaining that while the Northern Ireland administration had the power to veto any UK change, neither the Scottish parliament and Welsh Assembly nor leaders of the Scottish and Welsh governments would have comparable rights.

Tom Mullarkey, chief executive of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, said: "We are bitterly disappointed that years of campaigning have been unwound so casually in this cynical, and undemocratic, way. It is outrageous that a proposal with so much support, and that has the potential to save lives, create jobs and cut carbon emissions, has effectively been wrecked by just two or three politicians. They should be ashamed that their contrived interventions have scuppered this opportunity to ease the suffering of many families in this country, the people whose lives they were elected to protect."

Daniel Vockins, campaign manager for the Lighter Later campaign run by climate change organisation 10:10 said: "Today's result is yet another damning indictment of our broken private member's bill system. Even with over 120 MPs staying in Westminster to vote in favour of the bill today, the support of 90 national organisations, the UK government, and strong public opinion polls, it's not possible to get a bill past a couple of MPs determined to talk it out of receiving a proper vote."

The business minister, Ed Davey, said afterwards: "While there are a number of possible arguments put forward over the years about changing our time zone we have always stated that there needs to be consensus on the issue. We have seen today that we have not been able to reach consensus. The government will now need to decide how it will take this issue forward in order to reach that consensus."

Christopher Chope, Tory MP for Christchurch, Dorset, said: "We know that the Scottish parliament and that MPs representing Scottish constituencies in this House do not support a change that would make winter mornings in Scotland even colder and darker than they are already," he said. "If this parliament changes the time zone for the United Kingdom against the wishes of the people of Scotland, that is going to give extra ammunition to those people in Scotland who are campaigning for an independent Scotland." He added that the government could have launched an independent review on the pros and cons of the idea without legislation.

The Scottish National party's Angus MacNeil, MP for the Western Isles, said: "If there is any perception of high-handedness from Westminster we will probably see last week's figure of 1,000 new members for the SNP being dwarfed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/20/daylight-saving-bill-mps

Back to top Go down

Re: Daylight saving bill scuppered by small group of MPs

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm

For crying out loud, no other country does this, there are the same hours of daylight whatever you do with the clocks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:56 pm

sassy1261 wrote:For crying out loud, no other country does this, there are the same hours of daylight whatever you do with the clocks!
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 pm

The OP title was correct. They, the loony left, used an underhand tactic by talking rubbish ( nothing unusual for them I admit) until there was no time left for a vote. It is called talking out a bill. ---- A bit like on here, they don't like a proper debate, they just fill up the threads with side issues and insult posters they disagree with, by using personal abuse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 pm

fred bloggs wrote:The OP title was correct. They, the loony left, used an underhand tactic by talking rubbish ( nothing unusual for them I admit) until there was no time left for a vote. It is called talking out a bill. ---- A bit like on here, they don't like a proper debate, they just fill up the threads with side issues and insult posters they disagree with, by using personal abuse.

Hold on, thought it was SCOTLAND that didn't want this bill to go through? Do you disagree with that then Fred? Perhaps you would like to give up an opinion and debate for a change, instead of ranting on about the 'Looney Left' when you vote for left wing policies. Personally, I wish they would stop messing around with the clocks, I hate it when they go backwards and forwards, messes up my internal clock for weeks. We have the same number of hours in a day no matter what they do with the clocks, the whole thing is quite stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

I would be interested in your personal views on this too Fred and anyone else here who is from Scotland please!

I'm all for it myself, I'd love an extra hour of daylight in the evenings Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Feelthelove wrote:I would be interested in your personal views on this too Fred and anyone else here who is from Scotland please!

I'm all for it myself, I'd love an extra hour of daylight in the evenings Very Happy

Get off, I love my long, dark winter's evenings when I can read a book without feeling guilty, and I hate it being dark in the morning! Chalk and cheese FTL lol!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:18 am

Feelthelove wrote:I would be interested in your personal views on this too Fred and anyone else here who is from Scotland please!

Good morning FTL, My personal opinion is that I would rather see an extra hour's daylight in the late afternoon and I do not know any of my family and friends who want the present situation to continue as it is. After all, we are now in the 21st century, Motor vehicles have lights, there are excellent street lights, there is no need for anyone going to work or school in the mornings to have to worry about taking a torch. I personally feel that the extra afternoon daylight would reduce accidents as it is when leaving work after a hard shift that most people are exhaused and their concentration is at an ebb, due to tiredness. There are a small number of people up here who don't like change of any kind and are stuck in the 19th century, so trying to persuade them to accept improvements is a total waste of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Good morning FTL, My personal opinion is that I would rather see an extra hour's daylight in the late afternoon and I do not know any of my family and friends who want the present situation to continue as it is. After all, we are now in the 21st century, Motor vehicles have lights, there are excellent street lights, there is no need for anyone going to work or school in the mornings to have to worry about taking a torch. I personally feel that the extra afternoon daylight would reduce accidents as it is when leaving work after a hard shift that most people are exhaused and their concentration is at an ebb, due to tiredness. There are a small number of people up here who don't like change of any kind and are stuck in the 19th century, so trying to persuade them to accept improvements is a total waste of time.

Fred, is it possible for you to make a post with a nasty little dig. Not wanting the clocks to change has nothing to do with being stuck in a previous century, and as I have spent my life with change I fail to see you your comment is helpful in any way. If having more light in the afternoon with make for less accidents, which has not been proven, why wouldn't having more dark in the mornings make for more accidents. You say people are more awake in the morning, all testing has shown that people are more awake in the afternoon. When children dash out in the morning, many of them are still half asleep, so many these days are silly and don't have any breakfast so don't start functioning properly until later in the day. This has nothing to do with improvement, but personal choice. Some people prefer light in the morning, some in the afternoon. Whichever, you are only going to get the same amount.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Thanks Fred, glad to hear we have you on side

I suppose my reasons are purely selfish as I work full time. That extra hour in the evening makes all the difference to my day sunny

Sassy, I know what you mean but the long winter evenings are enough for me. I might even get an hour to work on my tan after work lol!

Fred was having a dig at people in Scotland I think as he refers to "people up here" x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Thanks Fred, glad to hear we have you on side

I suppose my reasons are purely selfish as I work full time. That extra hour in the evening makes all the difference to my day sunny

Sassy, I know what you mean but the long winter evenings are enough for me. I might even get an hour to work on my tan after work lol!

Fred was having a dig at people in Scotland I think as he refers to "people up here" x

In which case I apologise, I am so used to him being rude to me I thought he said 'on here'. Anyway, I still fail to see how it is to do with resisting change, its just personal choice, you like long evenings, I love bright mornings, different people, different preferences.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

In which case I apologise, I am so used to him being rude to me I thought he said 'on here'. Anyway, I still fail to see how it is to do with resisting change, its just personal choice, you like long evenings, I love bright mornings, different people, different preferences.

I know what you mean Sassy, I'm not a morning person and it's getting worse as I get older! I wish I was in some ways Sad

I really need my sleep too, I don't do well if I have a sleepless night. Sleep seems like such as waste of time, there is so much more I would rather be doing but I just can't do without it x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I know what you mean Sassy, I'm not a morning person and it's getting worse as I get older! I wish I was in some ways Sad

I really need my sleep too, I don't do well if I have a sleepless night. Sleep seems like such as waste of time, there is so much more I would rather be doing but I just can't do without it x

Nor should you dear, its been shown that those who sleep under 6 - 7 hours a night are more likely to get Alzheimers, Mrs Thatcher being a prime example, I used to think when she was boasting about only needing 4 hours sleep a night she was storing up trouble for herself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Nor should you dear, its been shown that those who sleep under 6 - 7 hours a night are more likely to get Alzheimers, Mrs Thatcher being a prime example, I used to think when she was boasting about only needing 4 hours sleep a night she was storing up trouble for herself.

I've struggled sleeping all my life, it takes me ages and if I'm woken up I very rarely can get back to sleep. I'm jealous of people who fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow, on the settee, in the car etc lol!

I wish I could!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

I've struggled sleeping all my life, it takes me ages and if I'm woken up I very rarely can get back to sleep. I'm jealous of people who fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow, on the settee, in the car etc lol!

I wish I could!!!
Same here FTL x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

David1 wrote:
Same here FTL x

I think my OH is actual Rip van Winkle in disguise. He falls asleep and nothing will wake him, I've tried. And yet he does not need an alarm, wide awake every morning at 5.30 on the dot! He is normally asleep by 9, which is why I am on here or watching a film or reading etc. We have a few hours when he gets in, then he goes to bed. I wish I could sleep like that! We have our time at weekends, case of having to really!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum