Do we let ANYONE in?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do we let ANYONE in?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Do we let ANYONE in?

Disbelief of judge over why Lithuanian child rapist was allowed into UK to launch brutal rape on womanVictor Akulic served eight years for sex attack on young girl
Judge asks: 'Do we have to take in anybody, even if they have a conviction for raping a child?'

A 'dangerous' Lithuanian rapist who subjected a woman to a brutal sex attack was allowed into the UK despite having a conviction for raping a seven-year-old girl.
Victor Akulic's disgusting sex attack came just a year after he had been released from prison in Lithuania for the rape of his young victim.

But the 44-year-old's crime was not flagged up to police and Akulic, who served eight years in prison for the attack on the child, went on to brutally beat and rape a woman last year just months after entering Britain.
Today a senior judge hearing the Lithuanian's appeal against his life sentence following the brutal sex attack in Sheppey in August 2010, demanded to know why Akulic was able to walk into the country in the first place.
Lady Justice Hallett asked: 'Do we let in just anyone, even if they have a serious conviction?'
The former soldier, who is thought to have entered the country in 2010, had been drinking heavily when he launched the attack on the woman, beating her until she was 'horribly disfigured' before forcing her to perform a sex act on him while he filmed the horrific episode.

The 44-year-old's disgusting sex attack came just a year after he had been released from prison in Lithuania for the rape of a seven-year-old girl.
Lady Justice Hallett questioned why rapist Akulic had been able to come into the UK
The judge said: 'He comes into this country with a conviction for raping a child. Do we let in just anyone, even if they have such a serious conviction?'
When Catherine Purnell, defending, said Akulic is a Lithuanian national and Lithuania is now part of the European Union, Lady Justice Hallett retorted: 'I appreciate that, but do we have to take in anybody, even if they have a conviction for raping a child.'
Ms Purnell replied: 'I’m afraid I don’t know about that; it may be that if the authorities had known about that then something may have been done earlier.
'I do know it was very difficult for the prosecuting authorities to find out details of the offence.'

Citizens of the EU - which Lithuania joined in 2004 - are able to enter the UK freely and it is up to the police of any member country to inform their counterparts in others of dangerous criminals crossing their borders.
Akulic had appealed his sentence at the London Criminal Appeals Court after he was handed a life jail term last year
But in a number of cases in recent years, it has become clear this is not being done rigorously.

OTHERS WHO SLIPPED THE POLICE NET
In June last year Polish burglar Kuba Dlugosz was convicted of manslaughter after he bound and gagged a helpless pensioner before ransacking her home and leaving her to die of hypothermia.

Eveline Kelmenson, 83, suffered a slow and painful death after she was stripped of gold jewellery and abandoned in her nightclothes. She was found dead in her North London home on New Year's Dad 2009.

Dlugosz slipped through police hands weeks before the killing.
He was arrested twice for burglary but officers did not discover he was wanted on a European arrest warrant because he gave them a false name.

Fingerprint checks that would have revealed he was a dangerous career criminal who had escaped from a Polish prison the previous year were not carried out.

Six years after an Albanian court sentenced him in his absence to 20 years jail, British police tracked down Imer Hoxha to an address in East London.

Using the fake Kosovan name of Imer Beq Hasani, he had claimed asylum in the UK as a victim of the Balkans War.

The false ID allowed him to move freely in the UK, until police raided his house when they suspected his son had committed a burglary.
Akulic had amassed several previous convictions in his native country before he entered the UK in early 2010.
In 1992 in Lithuania, he was convicted of assault causing grievous bodily harm, for which he received a seven-year jail term.
Five years later in 1997 he was handed a five-year jail term for another offence - which was unrecorded.
He was jailed for eight years in March 2001 for raping a seven-year-old girl and was released in February 2009.
Mr Justice Irwin, sitting with Lady Justice Hallett and Judge Warwick McKinnon QC at the Lithuanian's appeal hearing in London, told the court Akulic committed his most recent crimes in England in August 2010.
He raped a woman and subjected her to three vicious assaults - including one in which he knocked her to the ground and stamped on her head - before trying to intimidate her following his arrest.
Akulic was ordered to serve at least eight-and-a-half years behind bars before he can apply for parole.

But the Appeal Court has now overturned the sentence, replacing it with imprisonment for public protection with a seven-year minimum term.

Ms Purnell accepted Akulic was a 'dangerous offender', but the Appeal Court replaced his life sentence with less draconian imprisonment for public protection and reduced his minimum term to seven years.
Ms Purnell said Akulic is in the process of applying for a transfer to a prison in Lithuania, and told the court: 'Hopefully he will not be a burden on the taxpayer too much longer.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088354/Victor-Akulic-Lithuanian-child-rapist-allowed-UK-brutally-rapes-woman.html#ixzz1jpj67oSr

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we let ANYONE in?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:07 pm

If the Lithuanian authorities failed to disclose his record then they should bear the cost of the police investigation, trial, imprisonment and return to Lithuania together with a 7 figure sum in compensation to the victim. I guarantee that would make them more forthcoming in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 am

Nems Again wrote:If the Lithuanian authorities failed to disclose his record then they should bear the cost of the police investigation, trial, imprisonment and return to Lithuania together with a 7 figure sum in compensation to the victim. I guarantee that would make them more forthcoming in the future.

I totally agree Nems. -- Nice to see you developing some R/W ideas at last.- Well Done !!. --There's others on here who will strongly disagree with us though !!.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 am

fred bloggs wrote:

I totally agree Nems. -- Nice to see you developing some R/W ideas at last.- Well Done !!. --There's others on here who will strongly disagree with us though !!.

As the idea is total common sense, there will not be one person who disagrees. You seem to confuse common sense and RW, they are not the same or even necessarily compatible Fred.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 pm

fred bloggs wrote:

Oh Im very right wing about Europe Fred, I am a right wing commie. Go figure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Nems Again wrote:If the Lithuanian authorities failed to disclose his record then they should bear the cost of the police investigation, trial, imprisonment and return to Lithuania together with a 7 figure sum in compensation to the victim. I guarantee that would make them more forthcoming in the future.

Totally agree Nems, outrageous No

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum