Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Evidence of big cats at large grows as charity investigates killing of roe deer at Woodchester Park near Stroud.


Woodchester Park, where the dead roe deer was found. Photograph: National Trust

A big cat – or cats – could be prowling around a beautiful wooded valley in Gloucestershire run by the National Trust, the charity has revealed.

Experts are carrying out DNA tests on the remains of a roe deer found at the trust's Woodchester Park, near Stroud.

A walker came upon the carcass and thought injuries to the deer's neck and the way the body had been consumed suggested it had been killed by a big predator.

There have long been whispers of big cats at large in Gloucestershire, but the fact the National Trust is taking this discovery seriously adds to the credibility of the stories.

David Armstrong, the National Trust head ranger for the Gloucestershire countryside, said: "The deer was found close to Woodchester Park in an area where there is nice beech woodland sloping down to pastures below. With only one footpath, although it is popular with dog walkers, there is plenty of space for wildlife to live relatively undisturbed. There are 120 hectares of woodland nearby at Woodchester and both areas provide a good habitat for large numbers of deer, both roe and muntjac. There are some very occasional sightings of big cats in the Cotswolds but they have wide territories, so are rarely present in one particular spot for long. We'd be interested to hear of any more sightings at Woodchester."

Robin Allaby, associate professor at the school of life sciences at the University of Warwick, has visited the kill site to examine the evidence and take DNA samples from the wounds of the deer. The results of his tests are expected at the end of January.

Rick Minter, author of a book on the mystery of the UK's big cats, called Big Cats: Facing Britain's Wild Predators, said: "It is very helpful to have this forensic study of the deer carcass. The consistent feedback I receive from people about possible big cats is that the animals should be studied, so we can learn about the subject.

"Studying likely evidence such as this will help us become more informed. Local people who watched the carcass being examined appreciated that this was being studied in a responsible manner and that they are to be kept closely informed about the matter through their local newsletter and a forthcoming meeting. Although people occasionally report a possible big cat from a distance, close-up encounters with such cats are rare. Their hearing and movement are exceptional, which helps them avoid close contact with people. In the event of a close-up encounter you should stay calm and face towards the animal as you back off, but not threaten or aggravate it. The chances are it will have backed off very quickly first."

The trust says the main candidates for the larger types of big cats being reported in Britain are puma-type cats and panthers.

Woodchester Park is a tranquil wooded valley containing remains of an 18th- and 19th-century landscape park with a chain of five lakes.

Any sightings or possible evidence on National Trust land can be reported by email to nature@nationaltrust.org.uk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/11/big-cat-gloucestershire-wood-national-trust


Does anyone actually believe that there are big cats on the loose in the British countryside? Anyone seen one? No, thought not cat lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorry to disappoint FTL, but I've seen one, and I know two other people that have. There are lots of areas around Taunton where they have been sighted, sometimes by the police no less. We were coming down a hill on Exmoor, at the bottom the road bent to the left and on the right was a farm gate, 6' across and about 4' high. Loping across the back of it was a large black cat animal, you can tell from the way they walk as well as the shape, nearly threequarters of the length and half the height. The car behind us was beeping and pointing, we all saw it, it wasn't just me. People coming in to Taunton on the early morning buses often saw one in the fields and there was a fishing spot where none of the fishermen would night fish because pad marks in the mud were often found. So I know they are out there.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

sassy1261 wrote:Sorry to disappoint FTL, but I've seen one, and I know two other people that have. There are lots of areas around Taunton where they have been sighted, sometimes by the police no less. We were coming down a hill on Exmoor, at the bottom the road bent to the left and on the right was a farm gate, 6' across and about 4' high. Loping across the back of it was a large black cat animal, you can tell from the way they walk as well as the shape, nearly threequarters of the length and half the height. The car behind us was beeping and pointing, we all saw it, it wasn't just me. People coming in to Taunton on the early morning buses often saw one in the fields and there was a fishing spot where none of the fishermen would night fish because pad marks in the mud were often found. So I know they are out there.

There's always one Sassy Rolling Eyes lol! xxx

UFO's, Loch Ness Monster, Abominable Snowman, Aliens??? alien

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:56 pm

I met up with Elvis Presley today ftl

dont take the piss

No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

gelico wrote:I met up with Elvis Presley today ftl

dont take the piss

No

Hey Gelico I love you x

I'm all shook up, Mm mm oh, oh, yeah, yeah! Pull the other one! lol!


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 pm

LOL! ftl

you and angel seem to have an emoticon for every occasion.

seriously though, i'm prepared to believe sassy, and about the lock ness
we cant prove that these creatures dont exist,,,,,,,

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

gelico wrote:LOL! ftl

you and angel seem to have an emoticon for every occasion.

seriously though, i'm prepared to believe sassy, and about the lock ness
we cant prove that these creatures dont exist,,,,,,,

lol! I believe Sassy too Gelico x

How is the Beautiful Angel, I miss her Sad

As for the Loch Ness Monster........


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:34 pm

love it!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

lol! I believe Sassy too Gelico x

How is the Beautiful Angel, I miss her Sad

As for the Loch Ness Monster........


Shocked I thought she was mostly on here

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:49 pm

gelico wrote:

Shocked I thought she was mostly on here

Who Nessie?!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:58 pm

No you daft bat, Angel! She hasn't been on for a while sadly, miss her too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:01 pm

sassy1261 wrote:No you daft bat, Angel! She hasn't been on for a while sadly, miss her too.

I notice she hadnt been on. I do hope all is well and she is back soon xx

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Nems Again wrote:

I notice she hadnt been on. I do hope all is well and she is back soon xx

Me too!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:14 pm

I say folks, whoa there, steady on. A big cat, and I don't mean a fat domestic pussy, (no, not you Wifey), has been seen in our area of Norfolk. A farm worker friend has seen it and there was a report in the local paper that others had also seen it. A couple of weeks ago my daughter found a dead deer on her field which had also been bitten to death and partly eaten. A fox can't kill a large male deer, there weren't any dog walkers on her land, and we haven't got any wolves either.

Whilst Nessie might be a tourist attraction, though probably not real, we can't dismiss a big cat that may have been a pet, then released because it outgrew it's home and money to feed it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm

stardesk wrote:I say folks, whoa there, steady on. A big cat, and I don't mean a fat domestic pussy, (no, not you Wifey), has been seen in our area of Norfolk. A farm worker friend has seen it and there was a report in the local paper that others had also seen it. A couple of weeks ago my daughter found a dead deer on her field which had also been bitten to death and partly eaten. A fox can't kill a large male deer, there weren't any dog walkers on her land, and we haven't got any wolves either.

Whilst Nessie might be a tourist attraction, though probably not real, we can't dismiss a big cat that may have been a pet, then released because it outgrew it's home and money to feed it.

I remember 20 + years ago seeing on Spotlight Southwest about the 'Beast of Bodmin Moor' they thought that was a Puma once kept as a pet.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:03 pm

As i said, having seen one, I know they are out there. Apparantly they have taken DNA specimens from what was left of the 'kill' and might know in a couple of weeks exactly what it was.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Blimey! I stand corrected

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Feelthelove wrote:Blimey! I stand corrected

Can you imagine?! A nice stroll in the country and running into one!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Nems Again wrote:

Can you imagine?! A nice stroll in the country and running into one!

affraid No thanks Nems lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:34 pm

There was a little boy attacked a couple of years ago, they showed the claw marks, and they were far to far apart to have been an ordinary cat.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by victorismyhero on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Just dont go walking round saying "here puss puss puss"
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2593
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Just dont go walking round saying "here puss puss puss"
HAHAHAHA Read

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:01 pm

victorismyhero wrote:Just dont go walking round saying "here puss puss puss"

x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

x
Missed your emoticons [oops off topic] Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Big cat may prowl Gloucestershire wood, says National Trust

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

David1 wrote:
Missed your emoticons [oops off topic] Laughing

No worries, we all love her emoticons!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum