Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:56 pm

The TV chef and restaurateur, who was arrested for stealing cheese and wine from supermarket, pledges to seek treatment.


Antony Worrall Thompson was reportedly spotted shoplifting on five occasions in just over two weeks. Photograph: Ian West/PA

The television chef Antony Worrall Thompson has apologised to his family and friends after being arrested for shoplifting from a Tesco supermarket, saying he would seek treatment.

The 60-year-old presenter and restaurateur, best known for BBC's Ready Steady Cook and Saturday Kitchen programmes, received a police caution for stealing from the Tesco in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire.

Staff at the store reportedly spotted Worrall Thompson failing to scan some goods while using self-service checkouts at the shop on five occasions in just over two weeks from late December. According to the Sun, after using a store CCTV camera to watch Worrall Thompson use one of the tills last Friday staff challenged him as he left the store and called the police.

Police said the items involved were of low value. They reportedly included wine and cheese.

Worrall Thompson, from High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire, said in a statement that he deeply regretted his actions. He said: "I am of course devastated for my family and friends, whom I've let down, and will seek the treatment that is clearly needed.

"I am not the first, and I certainly won't be the last person to do something without rhyme or reason – what went through my head, only time will tell. Of course, I must also apologise sincerely to Tesco, with whom [I've] had a long and genuine working relationship, and to all the staff at the Henley branch, many of whom I've got to know over the years. I am so sorry for all my recent stupid and irresponsible actions. Hopefully in the future I can make amends."

A Thames Valley police spokesman said: "Thames Valley Police arrested a 60-year-old man from High Wycombe following a report of shoplifting offences in Tesco, Reading Road, Henley-on-Thames. The man has been issued with a formal caution for these offences."

A Tesco spokesman said: "It's a matter for police."

Worrall Thompson's first restaurant was the Ménage à Trois in Knightsbridge, central London, in 1981. He opened a series of subsequent outlets as well as moving into television and producing an eponymous range of cooking equipment.

In 2009 he put his chain of six restaurants, pubs and cafes into administration, blaming his bank for being too cautious with credit.

He used his own funds to keep open two restaurants, in Kew and Windsor, and has since bought back and reopened the Greyhound, a gastropub in Oxfordshire, and the Windsor Larder, a delicatessen and cafe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/09/antony-worrall-thompson-sorry-shoplifting

What on earth is wrong with these people? It's as though they go on self destruct once reaching celebrity status or perhaps being famous means you have to start taking numpty pills Rolling Eyes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm not sure FTL, I think people who are famous, and who obviously know they are going to be caught, must have a subconcious reason. He might even, without realising it, want a way out of the fame and pressure. I don't know, I agree, totally stupid, total numpty, but perhaps underneath all that celebrity, a very desperate man.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

sassy1261 wrote:I'm not sure FTL, I think people who are famous, and who obviously know they are going to be caught, must have a subconcious reason. He might even, without realising it, want a way out of the fame and pressure. I don't know, I agree, totally stupid, total numpty, but perhaps underneath all that celebrity, a very desperate man.

Maybe you're right Sassy. It's so frustrating to see so many talented and successful people throw everything away No

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Feelthelove wrote:

Maybe you're right Sassy. It's so frustrating to see so many talented and successful people throw everything away No

Agree with that 100%!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 pm

He's a "celeb"...what do you expect......??????
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2587
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 pm

victorismyhero wrote:He's a "celeb"...what do you expect......??????

I'm not sure Victor, he has never seemed to be quite at home there, other chefs take the piss out of him because he is short and tubby, although I think he is lovely, and he has never waffled on about what we should be eating, has just made nice food.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

I'm not sure Victor, he has never seemed to be quite at home there, other chefs take the piss out of him because he is short and tubby, although I think he is lovely, and he has never waffled on about what we should be eating, has just made nice food.

Pfffft...hes a celeb...he should get 10 yrs for this...WHY ? because as a celeb his behaviour is held as a yardstick by the feeble minded public to measure their actions and lives by......
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2587
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

Pfffft...hes a celeb...he should get 10 yrs for this...WHY ? because as a celeb his behaviour is held as a yardstick by the feeble minded public to measure their actions and lives by......

But that is their fault, not his. All he ever wanted to do was cook.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

But that is their fault, not his. All he ever wanted to do was cook.

He didnt HAVE to agree to a TV show...did he....
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2587
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

He didnt HAVE to agree to a TV show...did he....

Now thats just silly, if someone offered you a show focusing on your carpentry skills, would you turn it down?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by victorismyhero on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Now thats just silly, if someone offered you a show focusing on your carpentry skills, would you turn it down?

YES..who wants THAT kind of grief??
avatar
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Posts : 2587
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : cheshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 am

victorismyhero wrote:

YES..who wants THAT kind of grief??

Every single mad fool that turns up to audition for X Factor or Britain's got talent!

i think Worrall Thompson is ill.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 am

Nems Again wrote:

Every single mad fool that turns up to audition for X Factor or Britain's got talent!

i think Worrall Thompson is ill.

So do I.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

AWT was interviewed on the Sunday show this week, have to say that must have taken some guts to do. He seemed genuinely confused as to why he did it, its not like there was anything of any great value. I actually quite like him and hope the counselling he's receiving now sorts out his issues.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm

harvesmom wrote:AWT was interviewed on the Sunday show this week, have to say that must have taken some guts to do. He seemed genuinely confused as to why he did it, its not like there was anything of any great value. I actually quite like him and hope the counselling he's receiving now sorts out his issues.

He had a terrible childhood and was sexually abused by three people, its in his book, and suffered trauma to his face which his parents left, and has been under real strain lately. I like him too, he is totally unpretentious and as you say, being interviewed took real guts, I hope he manages to get to the bottom of it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

He had a terrible childhood and was sexually abused by three people, its in his book, and suffered trauma to his face which his parents left, and has been under real strain lately. I like him too, he is totally unpretentious and as you say, being interviewed took real guts, I hope he manages to get to the bottom of it.

Shocked

I didnt know that about him. I do hope he can sort himself out, he always seems like one of the good guys.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Notice how the loony left always come to the defense of the criminal. -- The guy was a common thief who was caught, end of story. He also had no taste or common sense. To steal from Tesco's, the "lowest of the low" - how stupid was that --- Now, if he had been stealing from Sainsbury's, he might have done his image some good.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:13 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Notice how the loony left always come to the defense of the criminal. -- The guy was a common thief who was caught, end of story. He also had no taste or common sense. To steal from Tesco's, the "lowest of the low" - how stupid was that --- Now, if he had been stealing from Sainsbury's, he might have done his image some good.

You cant fool me! No one is that ignorant, you are on a wind up again!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Nems Again wrote:

You cant fool me! No one is that ignorant, you are on a wind up again!



Wrong again nems, A wind up - not me !!! You may not like to read the facts about criminals, but they are there for all to see. The guy is a common shoplifter nothing more.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:37 pm

fred bloggs wrote:



Wrong again nems, A wind up - not me !!! You may not like to read the facts about criminals, but they are there for all to see. The guy is a common shoplifter nothing more.

Im going to disagree with you on this fred, to label him a common shoplifter, is easy but does not address the problem of why he or many others like him commit a crime. We have seen in this country that locking up people for paltry offences is pointless, costly and adds to the revolving door situation we y have in our prisons. Those prisons are currently at 98% capacity. Punishment has to be effective and the reasons for offending have to be dealt with other wise the problem of crime, who commits it and why will never be addressed properly and until it is and the British public get over its punitive, retaliatory view of punishment we will never tackle crime effectively and work towards reducing its cost and more importantly the number of victims

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Nems, it is good to disagree, but, you are destroying your own argument in doing so. We, in an intelligent society don't give a toss about excuses and the "poor" me attitude of today's common criminals who think they are above the law. The plain facts are that they broke the law, an act they knew to be wrong and got caught, simple as that. Anyone with any sense will treat those criminals as social pariahs and punish them as the law expects. Only loony lefties who support criminality would argue otherwise.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:15 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Nems, it is good to disagree, but, you are destroying your own argument in doing so. We, in an intelligent society don't give a toss about excuses and the "poor" me attitude of today's common criminals who think they are above the law. The plain facts are that they broke the law, an act they knew to be wrong and got caught, simple as that. Anyone with any sense will treat those criminals as social pariahs and punish them as the law expects. Only loony lefties who support criminality would argue otherwise.

We, in an intelligent society, most definitely do give a toss. He had no 'poor me' attitude, has apologise profusely, admitted his mistake and most certainly does not think he is above the law. He obviously is desperately trying to understand why he did it, extremely sensible in the circumstances and I have no intention of treating anyone who is obviously mentally extremely stressed as a social pariah, I'm a bit more intelligent and civilised that that. Does the SNP support criminality then? Of course it doesn't, and you can't get more left that them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:34 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Notice how the loony left always come to the defense of the criminal. -- The guy was a common thief who was caught, end of story. He also had no taste or common sense. To steal from Tesco's, the "lowest of the low" - how stupid was that --- Now, if he had been stealing from Sainsbury's, he might have done his image some good.

Agree there Fred.

It doesn't matter if these "celebs" shoplift or snort cocaine. One rule for us, one for them.

It's because they are associated with business brands I suppose that they get away with crime.

I could list here the dozens of celebs who after a bit of a public bashing in the media get zero action by the police for their criminal acts but I know I would have to listen to the same, tired old excuses about it being a cry for help boo hoo so basically i cannot be arsed.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Seren wrote:

Agree there Fred.

It doesn't matter if these "celebs" shoplift or snort cocaine. One rule for us, one for them.

It's because they are associated with business brands I suppose that they get away with crime.

I could list here the dozens of celebs who after a bit of a public bashing in the media get zero action by the police for their criminal acts but I know I would have to listen to the same, tired old excuses about it being a cry for help boo hoo so basically i cannot be arsed.

In some cases I would agree with you, George Michael and Naomi Campbell are 2 that spring straight to mind. In this case however, it is evident that to simply 'sling him in jail' or execute him, whatever the snorting indignants currently think the punishment for shoplifting should be would be counterproductive and expensive. Computers and programmes are black and white, when dealing with people one does well to remember there are many shades of grey.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Antony Worrall Thompson says sorry for Tesco shoplifting

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Loads of people are not prosecuted for shoplifting if they are having mental problems, he is not being treated any differently to anyone else, and in this case I don't see why it should be made harder because he is a celebrity.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum