The Iron Lady

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Iron Lady

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 am

Watched this yesterday afternoon. Was thinking it might be as good as The King's Speech last year (being flashy hollywood takes on big British characters...), and whilst it was ok, it is nothing special. I'd give it *** Smile

Politicially it is worthless. We get nothing but angry shouts from the Opposition (Labour), no depth or reasoning behind Thatchers policy other than 'everyone should want to DO something' and her constant insisitance that she is right even if people don't realize it yet (decades on many still have yet to realize this then..). The 'medicine may be hard to take' is repeated a few times.

Overall this film was more a look a her as some feminist warrior (which she wasn't) as a woman fighting into a world of men; and even more focused is the dementia aspect- the film flicks between her as a frail old woman rattling around her house talking to dear old and long since dead Dennis, and her reminiscing to her glorious past. The only aspects of the riots and protests we get are old footage mixed with her looking out from a car- no depth at all.

One area of interest is the Falklands, seeing this film (I wasn't even born at the time) made me think maybe the Falklands war should have been avoided- unless it turns out now there is oil there Wink

Also worth a look purely for the double of Michael Heseltine in Richard E Grant Shocked

Back to top Go down

Re: The Iron Lady

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 am

Will give it a look. Is it out on DVD?

You weren't born when the Falklands happened?! Im depressed now. I clearly remember the pride of the nation as we waved the flotilla off and the consternation that Kate Adie was refusing to call the soldiers 'our troops' but rather the British Forces.

What wasnt commented on at the time was the disgraceful state of affairs that saw men who had been slung on the scrapheap by redundancy, being re-employed to ready the ships to send their sons and daughters of to war.

funny politicians always find the funds for a war dont they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Nems Again wrote:Will give it a look. Is it out on DVD?

You weren't born when the Falklands happened?! Im depressed now. I clearly remember the pride of the nation as we waved the flotilla off and the consternation that Kate Adie was refusing to call the soldiers 'our troops' but rather the British Forces.

What wasnt commented on at the time was the disgraceful state of affairs that saw men who had been slung on the scrapheap by redundancy, being re-employed to ready the ships to send their sons and daughters of to war.

funny politicians always find the funds for a war dont they?

No it just came out at cinemas last week Smile

Yes they always do and it is appalling. Throughout the film Thatcher is talking about neccessary cuts then the moment there is opportunity for very expensive military action she is jumping at the chance. Times really don't change that much do they...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:15 pm

And the oil Eilzel, that will be in the Antartic, which the Faulklands are the nearest staging post for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

eilzel wrote:Watched this yesterday afternoon. Was thinking it might be as good as The King's Speech last year (being flashy hollywood takes on big British characters...), and whilst it was ok, it is nothing special. I'd give it *** Smile

Politicially it is worthless. We get nothing but angry shouts from the Opposition (Labour), no depth or reasoning behind Thatchers policy other than 'everyone should want to DO something' and her constant insisitance that she is right even if people don't realize it yet (decades on many still have yet to realize this then..). The 'medicine may be hard to take' is repeated a few times.

Overall this film was more a look a her as some feminist warrior (which she wasn't) as a woman fighting into a world of men; and even more focused is the dementia aspect- the film flicks between her as a frail old woman rattling around her house talking to dear old and long since dead Dennis, and her reminiscing to her glorious past. The only aspects of the riots and protests we get are old footage mixed with her looking out from a car- no depth at all.

One area of interest is the Falklands, seeing this film (I wasn't even born at the time) made me think maybe the Falklands war should have been avoided- unless it turns out now there is oil there Wink

Also worth a look purely for the double of Michael Heseltine in Richard E Grant Shocked

My father was in the Falklands. The Falklands is a very strategic outpost for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Seren wrote:

My father was in the Falklands. The Falklands is a very strategic outpost for us.

What makes it so strategic for us out of interest?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:07 pm

eilzel wrote:

What makes it so strategic for us out of interest?

Oil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:36 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

Oil

That makes it an asset now, but we didn't know about that in the 80's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm

eilzel wrote:

That makes it an asset now, but we didn't know about that in the 80's.

We did, because of the difficulties getting to it they are probably thinking of it as a last resort, but thats what the Fauklands was all about, just like Afghanistan is all about the pipe lines. Why else would we spend a fortune and lives on a little bit of land in the middle of nowhere with a few hundred people on it, although of course, we must not forget the sheep!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top