What a fun loving bunch of guys....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a fun loving bunch of guys....

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm

having looked at the link provided by Bella, I went and looked on the pentaostal website...http://www.upci.org/doctrine.asp

WoW do these guys know how to live...in misery i would imagine. It just shows how things could be if "fundamental" type christians got going

They of course are "clasical " fundamentalists, beleiving the bible to be the inerrant and inspired word of god scratch . one has to ask...do they also follow ALL the other things in the bible, like beating the crap out of your kids...even to the point of death, do they really believe that hares "chew the cud"?? OR like so many fundies, do they merely pick and choose what is to be followed, for their convenience, and to feed their twisted ideology. Lets face it...either the bible IS the inerrant word of god...no mistakes, no ommisions, and you follow it exactly Suspect , OR you admit that it isnt inerrant and your whole argument is reduced to ashes, and you cannot use the bible as justification for ANY rules you might want to live by. This problem of course is not restricted just to christian fundies, it applies to ALL belief sets, but does seem to be especially prevalent in the abrahamic schools of thought. pale

Last edited by victorismyhero on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorrect attribution)
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Re: What a fun loving bunch of guys....

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 pm

victorismyhero wrote:having looked at the link provided by Bella, I went and looked on the pentaostal website...http://www.upci.org/doctrine.asp

WoW do these guys know how to live...in misery i would imagine. It just shows how things could be if "fundamental" type christians got going

They of course are "clasical " fundamentalists, beleiving the bible to be the inerrant and inspired word of god scratch . one has to ask...do they also follow ALL the other things in the bible, like beating the crap out of your kids...even to the point of death, do they really believe that hares "chew the cud"?? OR like so many fundies, do they merely pick and choose what is to be followed, for their convenience, and to feed their twisted ideology. Lets face it...either the bible IS the inerrant word of god...no mistakes, no ommisions, and you follow it exactly Suspect , OR you admit that it isnt inerrant and your whole argument is reduced to ashes, and you cannot use the bible as justification for ANY rules you might want to live by. This problem of course is not restricted just to christian fundies, it applies to ALL belief sets, but does seem to be especially prevalent in the abrahamic schools of thought. pale

I have always found that people who are rigid in their beliefs, whether those beliefs are religious or political or anything else, have a fundamental (strange word to use in the circumstances) flaw in their character. They cannot trust their own judgement. They have to have rules and regulations that tie them to a pattern of living because they think they would not be able to live without them. They are almost frightened of themselves. Do they think that if they don't have these rules they will do something dreadful, or in the case of politics, if they look at something in a different light it will undermine the way they think the world works? In the case of people who are fundamentalist in their religious views, sex always appears to be the big problem. They are so repressed that they obviously think that given freedom they will run around fornicating all over the place, without the confines of their faith, they seem to think they would act like wild animals. The rest of us use our own judgement and manage pretty well.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:59 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

I have always found that people who are rigid in their beliefs, whether those beliefs are religious or political or anything else, have a fundamental (strange word to use in the circumstances) flaw in their character. They cannot trust their own judgement. They have to have rules and regulations that tie them to a pattern of living because they think they would not be able to live without them. They are almost frightened of themselves. Do they think that if they don't have these rules they will do something dreadful, or in the case of politics, if they look at something in a different light it will undermine the way they think the world works? In the case of people who are fundamentalist in their religious views, sex always appears to be the big problem. They are so repressed that they obviously think that given freedom they will run around fornicating all over the place, without the confines of their faith, they seem to think they would act like wild animals. The rest of us use our own judgement and manage pretty well.

To some extent you may well be right, I suspect THAT view applies to the large majority of fundies, ie the "congregation". however I really do think that in regard to the leaders (elders, ministers, priests etc) there is a far more sinister reasoning, since they are the ones who "pick and choose" which part of this supposedly "inerrant " book to live by and which bits not to reveal or to diminish for political reasons...I would imagine many of them would support the beat your kids sensless if they thought they could get away with it, but of course they cant...so that bit is hidden. Further of course the leaders KNOW the bible..or any other holy book for that matter, is NOT inerrant, since it plainly contains ludicrous errors like hares chewing the cud...they dont discuss that much either.....

victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:24 pm

I completely agree with all you both said. True God fearing fundies are a major problem in modern society (well all society really); their ridiculous beliefs, which as you rightly say Victor are a case of pick and choose, are something we often have to make concessions too and if not they have a misplaced moral breakdown.

They totally ignore the absolute hypocrisy in their own scriptures and the historical context in which they were written. There is no place for these views today, and is largely why I utterly oppose all forms of faith schools.

You are right again Victor, either it is all the word of God, or none of it is. That fully grown idiots cannot see this just shows how powerful the patronizing comfort that religion offers really is; it is a tragedy of course that hundreds/thousands of years ago Christianity won the wars that spread it over a continent that went on to rule the world; but then if it hadn't been that there'd have been another Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top