Public sector pensions offer rejected by Unite

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Public sector pensions offer rejected by Unite

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:30 pm

The Unite union has rejected the government's latest offer on public sector pensions for NHS workers. The union's health sector committee called on ministers to enter "genuine and meaningful" negotiations on the future of pensions.

The union, which has 100,000 members in the NHS, will meet again on 11 January to decide what action to take next. The government updated an offer for NHS workers in December, but stressed that it was its final offer. A number of unions are meeting in the coming days to consider the proposed deal.

The public sector pensions dispute has led to walk-outs and strong debate

Union concerns

In the NHS proposal, the accrual rate - the rate at which the value of a pension builds up - will be 1/54th of salary each year, revalued in line with CPI plus 1.5%. When proposals for NHS staff were updated for NHS staff in December, it meant:

- 530,000 staff earning between £15,000 and £26,557 would be spared any rise in pension contributions in 2012
- So would those less than 10 years away from retirement
- Higher-earning employees would be expected to pay more
- Staff in areas transferred out of the public sector would retain their right to stay in the pension scheme
- There would also be an improved accrual rate, within a career average pension scheme
- The government has also pledged to consult on the impact of changes on staff in the emergency services

However, Unite's health sector national industrial committee unanimously rejected the offer.

It said that its concerns included the prospect of nurses and paramedics doing heavy lifting into their late 60s, as well as career average pensions affecting staff who took career breaks to raise children.

"Our NHS executive unanimously rejects the government's pernicious attempts to make hard working and dedicated NHS staff pay more, work longer and get less when they retire," said Unite general secretary Len McCluskey. Unite believes it is important to continue a campaign to maintain a fair and equitable system of public sector pensions and calls on ministers to enter into real, genuine and meaningful negotiations on the future of NHS pensions and public sector pensions."

The move follows a decision by the British Medical Association (BMA) to survey around 130,000 doctors and medical students on the government's final offer.

The BMA said it would seek the views of its members on whether the proposed deal was acceptable, and if not, what action they would be prepared to take. The BMA said a formal ballot on industrial action - its first for more than 30 years - could follow.

A spokesman for the Department of Health said: "The unions have committed to suspend any industrial action while final details are resolved and members are consulted. We hope that BMA and its members will recognise that the government has made an offer which is fair and sustainable in what is a very difficult economic climate and support the agreement reached. Further discussions are being held to work on the remaining details."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16431284

Probably best not to get me started on this again Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Re: Public sector pensions offer rejected by Unite

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Don't you realise these poor workera only get pensions which are two thirds of their wages. That is far far better than private sector workers but hey they are worth far more than us mugs in the private sector. To prove it they will make the lives of their benefactors hell even though even after the changes they will get far more than the private sector.

Well that's what unite think. Over to comrade sassy for a statement

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:08 pm

only thing I can say in this is...we all know we've ALL been screwed by the pension scam run over the last 30 odd years..I said all that time ago it was a con...and i've been proved right....the ONLY people to benefit are...of course financiers (bankers) so before you complain about unites actions...which well you might feel you have reason too, let me ask you this....

IF you wenyt into a pub and paid for a pint, and got a half....would you be happy

If you got a quote from a builder...who finished the job then said ...I want another 50% would you be happy?

I think this is what lies at the base of the argument...and its dificult to argue against

NOT saying they are right in what they are doing...but i can see where they are comming from.....
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:40 pm

they are just being greedy and think they are better an the working class
who pay their wages and pensions.
the unions are just playing politics

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:40 pm

victorismyhero wrote:only thing I can say in this is...we all know we've ALL been screwed by the pension scam run over the last 30 odd years..I said all that time ago it was a con...and i've been proved right....the ONLY people to benefit are...of course financiers (bankers) so before you complain about unites actions...which well you might feel you have reason too, let me ask you this....

IF you wenyt into a pub and paid for a pint, and got a half....would you be happy

If you got a quote from a builder...who finished the job then said ...I want another 50% would you be happy?

I think this is what lies at the base of the argument...and its dificult to argue against

NOT saying they are right in what they are doing...but i can see where they are comming from.....

Exactly the point Victor.

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
they are just being greedy and think they are better an the working class
who pay their wages and pensions.
the unions are just playing politics

well tom...SOMEBODY has to....the bloody politicians wont...they all pee in the same pot...the 3 headed snake......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm

That is very true they are as bad as each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

tom sawyer wrote:
That is very true they are as bad as each other.

The only thing that changes is the colour of the tie. They are all a bunch of self serving hypocrites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

victorismyhero wrote:only thing I can say in this is...we all know we've ALL been screwed by the pension scam run over the last 30 odd years..I said all that time ago it was a con...and i've been proved right....the ONLY people to benefit are...of course financiers (bankers) so before you complain about unites actions...which well you might feel you have reason too, let me ask you this....

As someonbe in recipt of a public sector pension or least qwys I will be when I call on it I can assure you I can't. The changes proposed are modest given the huge burden this places on the taxpayer. To be asked to contribute mor for longer isn't the govt being nasty it is essential and merely rflects the current parlous state of ther economy.

The gap between the public sector pensions and to a lesser extent salaries is huge!! It is unsustaianble, unfair and unrealistic of UNITE. It is also ultimately self defeating because the govt even if it wanted to can't agree because of financial constraints. Even a Labout govt in Hoc to the unions couldn't agree.

Most final salary schemes have been closed in the private sector they are still alive and well in the public sector for that alone the public servants should be delighted. Only hard left Trade union bosses would see it otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:45 pm

My pension is paid by a company that still offers a final salary pension, because when it was suggested that it was stopped, we actually had a Managing Director who had principles, and said no way, that is what people had contracted for, that is what should be expected by employees of a well run company with a sound financial base, and he was not going to let it happen. The company still has a sound financial base, and I count him as a personal friend. He says the day the pension goes out the window is the day he resigns, because someone somewhere has to realise that the greatest asset a company has are its employees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 pm

sassy1261 wrote:My pension is paid by a company that still offers a final salary pension, because when it was suggested that it was stopped, we actually had a Managing Director who had principles, and said no way, that is what people had contracted for, that is what should be expected by employees of a well run company with a sound financial base, and he was not going to let it happen. The company still has a sound financial base, and I count him as a personal friend. He says the day the pension goes out the window is the day he resigns, because someone somewhere has to realise that the greatest asset a company has are its employees.

Sadly MD's with that level of intelligence and integrity are rarer than hen's teeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Nems Again wrote:

Sadly MD's with that level of intelligence and integrity are rarer than hen's teeth

He's a one off thats for sure, in his 50s, goes to work with his leathers over his suit on a Harley!!! One of the most respected companies in the country and its mostly because of him. The are always in the 'Top 100' companies list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:24 pm

sassy1261 wrote:

He's a one off thats for sure, in his 50s, goes to work with his leathers over his suit on a Harley!!! One of the most respected companies in the country and its mostly because of him. The are always in the 'Top 100' companies list.

goes to show doesnt it?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Nems Again wrote:

goes to show doesnt it?!

Certainly does! All the things I believe in, he puts into practice, was great working with him.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top