Change to bank holidays discussed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Change to bank holidays discussed

Post by I'm the king on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:21 am

"The May Day bank holiday could be dropped and replaced by either a St George's Day in April or a Trafalgar Day in October. Skip related content
Plan unveiled to switch May holiday
Outlining the strategy, Tourism Minister John Penrose said moving the May Day bank holiday could bring tourism benefits.

Moving it to St George's Day on April 23 would get the tourist season off to an earlier start, while putting it back to the October half term would elongate the tourist season.

The Government will consult on any possible changes and when to introduce them. There is likely to be no change until 2013.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said "messing around with established bank holidays will disrupt people's schedules and create more red tape for employers".

He said: "The Government should rise above this backbench grudge, stop re-arranging the deckchairs and introduce an extra bank holiday in late October instead."

Me, I would love for it to be moved to Saint George's day, I find it silly we don't even celebrate our national day"

Post by phildige on ADS, what do you guys think?

my 2p is:

As a Scot in England I find it crazy you don't celebrate it or to be honest about most folk, even know when it is.

Most give me the excuse that they 'aren't allowed to' 'it's racist to be English', but it's bollocks. Most non English people I know down here would love to see it, I know folk who have even arranged town meetings to discuss how to but nobody turned up. I think the real reason is English folk don't know how to throw a party Laughing Laughing

The only time I have seen it happen was in Manchester about 7 years ago, they had cheap beer in all the pubs, St george flags everywhere, Morris Dancing (we can forgive them). It was great people out having a great time. Not sure if they still do it, but would be good if everywhere followed their lead

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Change to bank holidays discussed

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 am

I think it is a wonderful idea, it would stop all the moaning about us never celebrating our own things for a start and the timing would make a lot more sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrDoodles on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

So move a Bank Holiday from the beginning of May, where you do at least have a chance of some good weather, to late October, where you have absolutely none! Sad
MrDoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the king on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

Fair point doodles,

In fact how about we move all our bank holidays to a week in August?

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am

MrDoodles wrote:So move a Bank Holiday from the beginning of May, where you do at least have a chance of some good weather, to late October, where you have absolutely none! Sad

St George's Day is 23rd April, not October, trouble being we have Easter all over the place, so it might coincide, perhaps that is why we have not had a St George's bank holiday before.

Back to top Go down

Post by justanAmericangal on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:56 pm

I knew about this holiday but never knew the exact date. My father, rest his soul, was born on St Georges Day!

Why not just add both holidays? You guys have a lot more holidays than we do. We call them Federal holidays, and there are only 10 of them.
Smile
justanAmericangal
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MrDoodles on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 pm

justanAmericangal wrote:I knew about this holiday but never knew the exact date. My father, rest his soul, was born on St Georges Day!

Why not just add both holidays? You guys have a lot more holidays than we do. We call them Federal holidays, and there are only 10 of them.
Smile

Well we only get the following;

England and Wales 2011

New Year's Day 3 January

Good Friday 22 April

Easter Monday 25 April

Royal wedding 29 April

Early May Bank Holiday 2 May

Spring Bank Holiday 30 May

Summer Bank Holiday 29 August

Christmas Day 26 December

Boxing Day 27 December

So not counting the Royal Wedding (which we only get about once every 30 years) the poor hard working Brit only get's 8 days a year, including Easter and Christmas! Sad

So you guys aren't too bad over the Pond! Evil or Very Mad

Please also bear in mind, that if you work in a service Industry, you will also be expected to work these days, for no extra pay (apart from Christmas Day) Sad
MrDoodles

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm the king on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:25 pm

On a good note, I saw we get an extra day next year too.

Very Happy Very Happy

I'm the king
Established Member

Back to top Go down

Post by justanAmericangal on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Well, then they need to add 2 more holidays for you guys Mr. D - it would NEVER do to have us yanks ahead of you on anything! Wink
justanAmericangal
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 am

Too many bank holidays, spread over too many months. All the bank holidays should be taken in the summer while the kids are off school. Except Christmas day. It would help families with childcare issues, would allow those who do not have kids to enjoy a day off work when the weather is warmer, and would enable employers to schedule holidays much better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm

fred bloggs wrote:Too many bank holidays, spread over too many months. All the bank holidays should be taken in the summer while the kids are off school. Except Christmas day. It would help families with childcare issues, would allow those who do not have kids to enjoy a day off work when the weather is warmer, and would enable employers to schedule holidays much better.

Fred, I don't get that. That would be so impractical, with loads of the workforce already off with summer holidays and then have all the bank holidays in the summer as well? Have you ever had to schedule summer holidays to make sure that all work is covered and that there are not too many people off at the same time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinky on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

MrDoodles wrote:So move a Bank Holiday from the beginning of May, where you do at least have a chance of some good weather, to late October, where you have absolutely none! Sad

I'm surprised at you Doodles. This is a chance to celebrate an English Day!! The weather can be as variable at either end of the year. We hav e had a couple of good Aprils but it doesn't folow it will be next year.
Drinky

Back to top Go down

Post by victorismyhero on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Yer gert wuss mr D...get out there in the rain and wind....you wont go rusty.......
victorismyhero
sael curunithron
sael curunithron

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 am

I'd love them to move a holiday to celebrate Trafalgar. There is an imbalance anyway- too many in the Spring and nothing from late Summer till Xmas...

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top